Helmets

admin (Simon W)

All,

I am getting quite a number of students now and most are looking for helmets / Headsets.

I am already a dealer for the Micro Avionics stuff but would also like to sell a lower end option. Can anyone reccomend one?

The one that I have from RAD is a great starter unit. (Martin.... Can you still get the helmets with builtin headsets like the one I have?

Simon

Errrmmmmm. Best to go for the MA helmet ! And even better with our headset. Maybe the new stereo headset with the music, mobile phone, second radio connections with built in music muting circuit..... sell selll selll... !

You asked about the built in helmets. Now hopefully not all helmets are the same but before the days of MicroAvionics I used to import a Spanish helmet which worked fine. However it did not seal against the ears very well. This is why we do not manufacture a built in headset/ helmet. A headset that is worn underneath the helmet creates a far better seal... your ears are priceless.

I understand that its nice to pull the eardefender away from the helmet for that freeflight feeling....

Regards,

Eddie Cartwright

MicroAvionics.

Simon

Errrmmmmm. Best to go for the MA helmet ! And even better with our headset. Maybe the new stereo headset with the music, mobile phone, second radio connections with built in music muting circuit..... sell selll selll... !

You asked about the built in helmets. Now hopefully not all helmets are the same but before the days of MicroAvionics I used to import a Spanish helmet which worked fine. However it did not seal against the ears very well. This is why we do not manufacture a built in headset/ helmet. A headset that is worn underneath the helmet creates a far better seal... your ears are priceless.

I understand that its nice to pull the eardefender away from the helmet for that freeflight feeling....

Regards,

Eddie Cartwright

MicroAvionics.

Eddie,

Your kit is without a shadow of doubt top notch stuff and well worth the money. When Syudents come through the system they have a massive amount of money to spend, Course, wing, motor, reserve, boots, gps, radio, gloves, helmet e.t.c

Most come to me on a budget but some just want the best!

for the people who just want the best... I will 100% reccomend your kit.

For the people on a budget however......... Could do with a nice simple entry level priced unit. I used a full face hill helmet and a £35 self wire in speaker and mic. (agreed the sound was not great but it did the job for a year) I think my helmet was £100 (100% carbon Fibre) so all in, £135. :D

Make sence? :D

Hi Eddie,

I'm a newbie to the sport and really enjoying it. From all the research I've done it is clear that your kit is the pick of the bunch but at £284 (MM021 helmet plus MP001 headset) or £319 (MM021 helmet plus MP006 headset) it feels like a lot of cash and from your website I'm still not sure that once I've paid over the money I've got everything I need. It leaves me with a sneaking feeling that there is another £80 or so in adapters for my iPod, Nokia phone and Kenwood 2-way radio.

On the other hand I can spend relatively little and go with a cheaper (and undoubtedly inferior) solution and use my in-ear headphones to listen to my iPod ;-)

I guess, as with all things, the proof is in the eating. Given something as personal as a helmet it would be nice if I could walk in to a shop somewhere within an hour's drive of Reading in Berkshire and try it on and put all the pieces together just to be sure.

Very low tech approach to buying especially in this age of Amazon and Ebay I know. Any thoughts? Feel free to contact me via a PM.

Stuart

Sure the prices can be cheaer using other cheaper brands. However I think you will find we are very competative compared to our main competition, actualy we are cheaper and offer a superior headset. We had our headset independantly tested for noise penetration, it was found to be 3 times quieter than our uk competitor.

If you want a headset that out performs others with loads of features then there is nothing else on the market. However if you want a cheaper headset then yes you can buy another brand, the choice is yours.

Just to let you both know, the R&D in MA is a constant design process. Just the cost alone of certifying our helmets costs about £6k, hence they do not cost £50 or so. You have to balance the whole price comparecd to sales and as you know the uk market is very small.

Thats my comments !

Eddie

Eddi,

FYI, I will be getting one of your units for our Dartmoor flight, just have to sell a bit more stuiff to get the pennies together.

I dont think that 'your main UK competitor' as you say is someone that we are loking at either to be honest.

An inexpensive STARTER helmet with basic head set (it must exist out there somewhere!) :D

Eddi,

FYI, I will be getting one of your units for our Dartmoor flight, just have to sell a bit more stuiff to get the pennies together.

I dont think that 'your main UK competitor' as you say is someone that we are loking at either to be honest.

An inexpensive STARTER helmet with basic head set (it must exist out there somewhere!) :D

I've one of the James the prop repair man £50 headsets, the APCO helmet that was about £70 and this winter I added a £15 visor. I tend not to listen to music, just the engine :-). Once this noise slightly changed and I after loads of argueing with myself, I landed to find the exhaust had started to leak. It then felt a great decison and improved my cross country self confidence :-)

Who needs music with such a great view?

Cheers

Paul

Thats what I was talking about :D

Thanks very much. I will arrange a dealership for both.

If you know him, ask him to join up.

Arrange away :-) after an hour I remembered where I got the visor. Still can't remember where helmet and headset came from :-( but this place sells all three for £135.

http://www.northern-paragliding.com/onl ... -1118.html

and

http://www.northern-paragliding.com/onl ... -1119.html

Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Not yet mate,

They did say 7 to 10 days and my misses placed the order on Saturday I think?......

I will post a review as soon as I have it here. I think cheep and cheerfull will be how it goes, £88 + £10 with built in mic and head set and lead to attach to my Alinco, and a phone, or MP3 player.

It has the PTT built into the helmet at about exactly the place I like it.... and thats all I know at the moment.

I have a very good school helmet here so dont feel like you have to rush out and buy one.

:D

Hi Simon, Tony and any one else looking for a Helmet,

One for you to consider ( its the one I've ordered) can be found at this link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... &rd=1&rd=1

As you can see I ordered the compleate kit, helmet and radio total cost with postage £193.60, if you follow the link to his on-line shop there are various styles with or without radio included. Only ordered it Wed so will be a few days yet before its here. I'll post a quick review when I get my hands on it.

Cheers Col....

On the face of it, the seal that WeeSplat / Colin has found seems to be a good one for a newbie needing all of the kit and trying to keep the price down, (Its easy to forget when you sell kit that you often have ALL if it to buy and the total is a big one)

I would still wait out until Colins turns up, as I have heard of people having a problem or two getting them...... I dont have mine yet even though its the wrong one.......

FOR SALE GREAT FREE FLYING LID WITRH BUILT IN RADIO STUFF. (WITH A LEAD FOR SOMETHING OTHER THAN A RADIO TOO!!!! )

£What I paid.

Be quick if you want it before I send it back (as soon as it gets here). :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well I said that I would give a small review when I had had a chance to use the kit mentioned in my previouse post so here goes.

The helmet arrived after about 7 days well packed and in good condition certainly looks the part very stylish. 8) The radio that came with it although looked like good quality unfortunatly was one that worked on the 400-470mhz range :evil: so dropped them an e-mail explaining to the seller that it wasnt suitable and could he change it for one that was. Got a reply next day apologising and asked me to send the handset back and they would send out the correct model which they did very quickly :lol: .

The build quality of the helmet is ok mainly the lining letting it down but very comfortable to wear. The ear cups are not the best but do the job but the mic is actualy quite good clear sound reported from the ground when I tried it at the flying field. The sound quality from the ear cups is a bit tempremental I think caused by using cheap jack plugs and sockets to wire them into the system easy fixed but hassle.

All in all I like the helmet. The earphones could have been better but do the job. The radio handset is pretty decent quality but you do need to read the handbook to get the best out it. Having the ptt buttons on both sides is very handy and the visor works well stays up when you put it up and down when you put it down no more watery eyes :D . The ability to plug an MP3 player into the helmet is there but not tried that in the air yet but works fine on the ground.

At the price I paid I have to say that Im happy and would recommend it to anyone on a buget. You pays your money and makes your choice.

Cheers Col.........

• 3 weeks later...

Seen this helmet mentioned on the other forum - PPG 1

Has anybody got one, or any updates about it.

ebay 130145650783

Looks like there are good and bad reveiws reference the company - how about the helmet, radio or ear muffs. Looks sweet.

Hoping to need one soon.

Cheers

All,

Now I have had this helmet for a while....

I have had to change the flimsey metel arms that hold the earcups on (that I have also had to change)

I found that they just kept falling off, I have re-made the thing from scratch and the only part that is still OEM is the helmet.

My thoughts......

OK if you are happy to accept that it is (without doubt) cheep tat, that may well get you through.

SW

:D