Video editing software for GoPro

Results from first flight-

[youtubevideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvbBj7TXLDg[/youtubevideo]

Weather not perfect, quite windy so the terrain was causing a bit of turbulence.

Messed up with the settings too, and missed the take off!!!!

Generally I don't like the helmet mount too much- a lot of movement. Will experiment with few other options next time.

Enjoy!

GD

Edited by Guest

I agree, about the helmet mount.

If your piloting properly you will never get good footage from a head based camera system.

SW :D

I'd have to agree 100% there Simon. I got around 50 mins footage during the flight, but edited it down to 5 mins usable stuff. During the flight I'm continually checking wing and motor systems, and looking out for other traffic... it goes with the training, and I do it subconsciously.

The camera can be a distraction, and there is a danger that pilots prioritise the wrong task... especially dangerous if you are flying low.

Working on various other mounts, hopefully the weather will improve and give me the chance to experiment further.

GD

Give me a call as little do you know, but you can help me and I can help you :-)

I think you can get something I want! And I can give you some awesome tips.

I was looking for your number earlier to call you oddly enough.

SW :D

Had another go at the helmet mount... and results were better this time due to a few improvements that I adopted.

I installed the camera on the helmet then 'calibrated' it by placing a small sticker on my helmet visor, to give an indication where the centre of frame will be. This is easy enough to do using a laser pointer held against the camera casing, and focusing it on a nearby wall.

Instead of running the camera continually, I did several phases of filming where I was concentrating more on the camera- then turned the camera off for the remaining flight using the remote control. This kept the file size to a minimum- and still ended up with a lot of usable footage.

Will be working on edit later.

GD

That looked like a fantastic flight

I would be interested to see what sort of footage the GoPro chest mount produces.

Is that on your list of mounts to try?

http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/chest-mount-harness

Patrick

No- dont think the chest mount would be on my list- certainly not a high priority.

I think next priorities would be telescopic pole, shoe mount, then follow cam.

GD

I've seen reference to follow cams and seen some footage of one in use when the guy hit some power/telephone lines, but I don't know how they work. Are they on the end of a line? Do they have some sort of vane to stabilise them? How are they not a recipe for entanglement in the prop or the wing?

Chase cam mount- under construction......

Meanwhile, did a bit more filming last night- with some more great footage. I've always been more keen on stills than video- but didn't want to bring 2 cameras on the flight for this purpose- so tried the still mode on the GoPro. Wasn't expecting great results, thought it would be more like a 'screen capture' from the video- but very pleasantly surprised by the results.

I had the setting for stills at 4000x3000 pixels (12MP) - so quality is amazing! Proving there is no real need to carry the G10 in flight anymore. In saying that though, the G10 does have better lenses, and has more control than the GoPro. One thing to watch for is the time delay on the GoPro WiFi remote. When you press the shutter button, wait at least 2 seconds before moving the camera.

Here are some of the stills- Cropped to wide format.

8992343201_f0d424ef42_c.jpg

8993536002_a1165d5fa1_c.jpg

8993535876_e1064c61c9_c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Flew the chase cam lastnight for the first time.... Wasn't sure how it would workout, but results were great for both stills and video. Couldn't decide on whether to do stills/video, so decided to set the camera to do simultaneous... mixed up the settings, so missed the landing video!!! Still need to get more used to the GoPro!

Here's a sample of one of the stills-

9145079459_09e8330714_z.jpg

I'd recommend forward launching only with the chase cam, and make sure the grass is dry before you launch, as the lens will get wet.

Getting the angle of the camera right is a bit of a guess- I was lucky that it worked out for me and gave the images a nice composition.

GD