Video editing software for GoPro

Yes- system is very similar to the one in the link, but I've made a few mods to suit better.

WP_000207.jpg

Instead of using the adhesive mount and clip, I used the GoPro tripod mount bolted directly onto the bracket. This is smaller, lighter and gives better adjustment for the camera. Also I left off the 'tail string' off the end of the bottle, as it just got tangled on everything during set up.

The system worked well enough without it- so there are no issues here. I used the 'skeleton' rear door on the camera to avoid condensation.

Id definitely recommend doing forward launches only when using this set up.

PS- the angle setup on the camera is critical! may take a bit of trial and error!

GD

Line was approx 4.2 meters long, and attached to the training edge of the wing- one of the 'D' line loops, 5th set from the end on the right hand side.

Keep it away from the centre of the wing, as there is a danger of the prop striking the camera during launch and takeoff. There is quite a lot of swing on the camera until there is enough forward motion to stabilise it.

I'd recommend using pretty light line incase the camera snags on something- you want the line to break first, instead of pulling the wing back.

I also used a backup safety lanyard between the GoPro and the 'L' bracket incase the camera came off the mounting during flight.

GD

• 2 weeks later...

The latest results from my GoPro experiments are now online- this time a helmet mount front extender, made from a strip of 16mm x 3mm aluminium. I left the base loose which enabled me to rotate the complete mount upwards for takeoff, and to get some 'straight down' shots. Worked well. The additional weight so far away from the front of the helmet made it a little uncomfortable after an hour... I felt my neck muscles tiring a bit....

[youtubevideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPdZ9TuF7f4&feature=share[/youtubevideo]

What's the black square on the visor for?

Cheers, Alan

I knew someone was going to ask that!.....

It's a calibration mark so that I can make sure the GoPro is pointing on target when I have it forward mounted.

Basically attach the camera to the mount (facing forward), then use a jig to set the angle before tighening it firmly.

Put the helmet/camera on then place a laser pointer on the camera body- holding it firmly square on the body so that the beam is parallel with the central axis of the lens. When you look through the visor, place a small mark on the visor where you see the dot. Make sure you are looking at something 15/20meters away as the 'parallax' effect will change the position.

When the camera is forward pointing, i can use the mark to allign the camera and hold it on objects i want to capture.

You must always place the camera at a consistent angle on the gopro mount for the calibration to work.

I have used a small piece of insulating tape here- dry wipe marker is equally good- but obviously wipes off easily. Placing it on the inside of the visor works best for me, as it dosen't get knocked off when cleaning the visor. The dot isn't really distracting, or even obvious- unless you are looking for it.

Try it for yourself and see!

GD

Just another objective achieved on the list for 'aerial video'-

The ultimate convergence of hardware, software and mensware -to produce GPS telemetry overlay...

View results at- [youtubevideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKSV5HSN6rY&feature=youtu.be[/youtubevideo]

Overlay produced via GPX file- calibrated and merged using 'Dashware', then final edit in 'Cyperlink'.

GD