Climb Rate

poz

I'm interested to find out what sort of climb rates pilots are getting with their equipment.

Engine/wing (inc size) combination and all up pilot weight.

I'm on a PAP PA125 with Revo2 26m at about 128kg launch weight + fuel, and I'm getting around 1.5m/s or about 300f/min.

I love the idea of going up at around 1000ft/min (5m/s) to altitudes in excess of 10000ft, taking around 10 minutes to achieve this.

I could never afford to fly a fixed wing aircraft that could manage this. My old Cessna 150 could manage a little more than 300ft/min, but not much, and that would die off at around 4000ft.

To this end, PAP are making me a PPG with a Polini Thor 200 :D:D. I'm going to stick with my Revo2 for the time being.

Will report back as soon as I get to test it out.

Dan

Shocking how poor the Cessna is. A C42 will do 1050 ft/min, but that's no use to you. I wonder what Simon's Jabiru will do. That must be pretty good too. Of course, none of this is remotely relevant to paramotoring. :?

It's shocking how much 3 axis microlights have come on in recent years....and their price. One things for sure though, Cessna will never dominate this side of GA again. They had their day in the 60's and 70's.

i fly a thor200 with an ozone speedster 30, pilot weight approx 100kg and can climb out at 800ft/min no problem,

i generally only use this on initial take off and climb out though and once at a safe height and in the seat i back off to 400 ft/min....

Thanks Stickygrape, that's exactly what I was looking for. It's funny that you back off to 100ft/min more than I can climb flat out :|

If you are 100kg, 15kg more than me, and you're getting 800ft/min, then maybe a sustained 1000ft/min climb is attainable.

Can't wait to find out :D

i fly a thor200 with an ozone speedster 30, pilot weight approx 100kg and can climb out at 800ft/min no problem,

i generally only use this on initial take off and climb out though and once at a safe height and in the seat i back off to 400 ft/min....

Hey Sticky

You need to drop a couple of wing sizes if your getting 800fpm com and try a 26m or the 24m. I have dropped down two wing sizes from a 28-26 now on the 24m my fue eco has not changed to much my climb rate has only dropped a bit 50-100fpm. but the handling and speed has improved 10 fold :acro::dive:

It will be down to the wing!!! buy a speedster Nucleon or GTR or GTX and you wil get a much better climb rate. Get rid of the sluggy synth :wink:

Morgy, I know! But I've just bought a Zenith so it might take me a while to build up the courage to ask the wife! The Synth is fine really, nobody I've flown with is faster, launch is easy.

It is very docile though and I would like a bit more fun (I think?). I'm also at the bottom of the weight range so I would like a smaller wing.

I watched Felix Baumgartner's skydiving altitude record documentary last night. It looked very lonely at 128,000ft. :mrgreen:

However at the start of the ascent the helium ballon was only achieving 1200ft / min. You wouldn't be far behing him sticky :lol:

I always choose my wing size by being able to fly level on full throttle, trimmers fully out + full speedbar. That tends to give me a climb rate of 350ft / min with trimmers in & full throttle on my current Speedster 28 and very responsive handling on the tip steering.

Whilst on a paramotoring holiday with Sticky I had the pleasure of flying a Zenith with the pollini Thor and wow what a powerful machine they are.

With my Fusion wing in full reflex it climbed incredibly well also when you are just pottering around you hardly have to touch the throttle making it very quiet.

Hey Sticky

You need to drop a couple of wing sizes if your getting 800fpm com and try a 26m or the 24m. I have dropped down two wing sizes from a 28-26 now on the 24m my fue eco has not changed to much my climb rate has only dropped a bit 50-100fpm. but the handling and speed has improved 10 fold :acro::dive:

yes its been on my mind for a while, just can't bear to spend the money cos i'm a tight arse northerner.... :wink:

when its due for replacement a 26 is on the cards.

couldn't quite catch the vario on the full 8up cos i was spiralling upwards like my arse was on fire but you get the idea.... 8)

IMG_0185.JPG

If you like to throw it around i would go for the 24m if i was you!!! :wink: You have the power. At least have a demo before you buy a 26m.

• 1 month later...

I'm 105kg counting everything but the wing and flying a Revo2 23m, Air Conception Ultra 130 with 125cm prop. I average about 400 ft/min with my normal take-off trim of -1 to the slow side.

I keep meaning to check things like speed and climb at different settings but seem to always forget to do it. Guess I'm having too much fun to remember.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

Which android tablets have a barometer sensor to measure height and a sim card slot to use as a normal 4G device in the air? I can't seem to find the answer anywhere, even after visiting PC world and doing a few google searches. My S8 Samsung phone can do the lot, but the screen is a bit small for Skydemon. Many thanks.