What wing is easiest to no-wind forward launch?

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for quite a while, and I've searched through the forum and have not found a discussion about this.... What is the easiest wing to forward launch in nil wind?

I currently fly an Edel Power Atlas and it's great when the wind is blowing. But I recently moved to a new location with zero wind and it's so hard to launch I'm shopping for a new wing. My skill, weight, size are all pretty intermediate.

Are reflex wings easier to launch in no wind, or harder?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions....

-Dave

Of all of the wings I have used in 0 wind the Paramania Revolution 2 seems to be 'to me' the easiest of them all, followed closely by the Apco Thrust.

Welcome to the Paramotor Club :-)

SW :D

Hi Dave.

I've not flown many wings but found my Paramania Revolution 1 difficult to forward launch as a newbie. I would dread turning up at the field on a still evening which is a shame as these are some of the best flying conditions. With experience this has improved greatly and I'm now as happy to forward as reverse and rarely fail a launch.

I flew my instructors Dudek Nemo Moto for my first flight and that was really easy to forward launch but would for me would rapidly have become boring as it's a non-reflex wing and relatively slow. A trade off between performance and ease of launch but that was a few years ago and I have a feeling that improvements will now have been made which narrow the gap.

Best regards,

Ian.

Is that with a ham or cheese roll Gary? :)

I have a revo 1 and i have found it really difficult to forward launch in nil wind, the tips always stayed down until i was fully commited with full throttle, i got the hang of it now but i did struggle for a while.

Apco force.....I thought my old fusion was good and that it was just me improving....But seeing is believing...Ive tried this launch quite a few times and it does this everytime....

Doddle.....

Gary where was the nil wind forward launch in the video then??

Are reflex wings easier to launch in no wind, or harder?

Some people have offered opinion on their favourite choice of wing, but in answer to your question (generally speaking) classic paraglider wings are considered easier to forward launch in nil wind than reflex wings - although of course there are exceptions.

Incidentally the first wing I ever flew was an Edel Atlas and you will find any modern wing (reflex or not) has easier launch characteristics. :wink:

Correct layout and technique are the most important factors to any successful launch. Personally I prefer split A risers although the Revo 2 doesn't have them and always came up straight and level. Most reflex wings need a bit more sustained pressure on the A risers until they are fully overhead. Some need a harder initial pull up or some engine power, but every wing is different so practice makes perfect ...

TUNA ....

take your point about the vid link being with wind.....! check this out then

All I can say is when I test flew the Force back to back with the Fusion in less than 3mph wind the force was way more eager to get up and fly off the ground ..Granted if you put pressure on the A lines it can come up a bit quick ...its just different....The fusion also was a good wing to launch

its just that the force is way easier....however I also found that it was (for me) a much more dymamic wing when flying and is more fun to fly (For me) and dispite its ease of launch... I wouldnt recomend it for a beginner

But I bought one after I test flew it....

Of all of the wings I have used in 0 wind the Paramania Revolution 2 seems to be 'to me' the easiest of them all, followed closely by the Apco Thrust.

Welcome to the Paramotor Club :-)

SW :D

Seconded

Now that I've got a little more confidence to do semi-power launches, I'm finding nil wind launches much easier and satisfying, except for last night when I'd replaced my prop back to front :oops:

Would that count as a nil wind reverse launch :lol:

Dan

I know you asked about what wing was easiest to start but in case you don't use powered launch and have a strong enough frame to support it I would recommend you to test that if you feel comfortable with it.

I used to have a miniplane and couldn't do powered launches since the frame is so weak ( I broke one prop trying anyway) but when I bought the pap I started using powered launches and it helps a lot, nil wind is often no problem anymore.

With the miniplane I had to struggle at times.

I used the same wing on both motors, paramania fusion.

PG wings are easier to launch in nil wind than PPG wings

Light weight "mountain" gliders are lighter than normal PG wings and even easier to inflate in nil wind.

However there is a downside to that, usually light weight gliders are not as durable as normal PG or PPG gliders.

The whole reason that you're seeing Dell challenging PPG wings to come to high altitude and nil wind is because he's flying with a mountain glider which is 10 times easier to lunch but it will last less than other gliders.

Thanks for the ideas and pointers everyone.

Like many folks I've been drooling over the Apco Force videos on Youtube for a few months. ;) But there's probably a reason it's rated an EN.C instead of A/B, and I just don't think I'm ready for that yet. Besides, I'm mostly just into photography and I have no need for speed or acrobatics. For me, easy launching and handling is #1.

I had never seriously looked at the Apco Thrust III or the Paramania Revo2, but I will definitely check those out now. After shopping around a bit they all (Force, Thrust, Revo2, K2, Fusion,etc) seem to be around the same price range. So it's just a matter of picking the right wing for my flying style.

I like the idea of a "semi-beginner" reflex wing (Revo2) but the Thrust III sure has a nice sales pitch for easy launching. I will keep you guys posted as I get closer to a decision...

-DS

• 2 weeks later...