I would use nothing else in both the 2 stroke and 4 stroke bikes I used to drag race......

They are without doubt in my mind a better plug and worth the wedge. (its such a big part of an engines performance is the plug you know!)

SW :D

• 2 years later...

Hmm, resurrecting an OLD thread! I'm researching....... :roll:

I've used iridium plugs on my big 1150 twin and they make a big difference to easy starting and smooth tick over. I used to have a single cylinder 200cc BMW C1....

bmw.jpg

(now the motor mounted on the back.....hmmm)

On single cylinder engines (these are rotax engines) the iridium plug was a quantum leap in getting a clean idle plus instant throttle response, so I'd fit one to a paramotor in a heartbeat!

Sounds great but what is a iridium plug?

Would you recommend one in a top 80?

NGK make the commonest (cheapest) Iridium plugs http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/spark_plugs/iridiumix.asp

The key is in the material and tip used being tiny but incredibly hard.

denso_iridium.jpg

As for recomending an plug, I know bugger al about Paramotors (yet), so I'm not going to give worthless advise! :|

there is a conversion chart for a standard to the iridium plug

i put 1 in my adventure and i never noticed any change whatsoever!! it took the same time to start, tick over the same, pick up the same, top end rpm the same, and the flights were the same, so for me a waste of money

They are a car and half got a cool heads up display when they built them in the 90's there spec was that the owner should never have to update the car its carbon fibre etc etc i get to work on loads of cool cars its my job lol

Its not quite the same as picture tho its black and its a W8 the front it slightly narrower and they only made 17 W8 63 cars in total, but they go like stink.

Would upload pic but struggling to work it out how to

Hey Guys,

Just my 5 cents...Luke Banks had an Iridium Plug in his Top80 and that coupled with a slight lean running caused the engine to overheat according to his engineer.

The 2-stroke expert he took the engine to advised heavily against the use of Iridium plugs if the manufacturers don't suggest them as they run hotter than normal spark plugs.

I'm only quoting here...I don't know enough about them myself.

Cheers

Steve

Hey Guys,

Just my 5 cents...Luke Banks had an Iridium Plug in his Top80 and that coupled with a slight lean running caused the engine to overheat according to his engineer.

The 2-stroke expert he took the engine to advised heavily against the use of Iridium plugs if the manufacturers don't suggest them as they run hotter than normal spark plugs.

I'm only quoting here...I don't know enough about them myself.

Cheers

Steve

AFAIK Iridium plugs run no hotter than stock, they just have a smaller and therefore intense spark gap. Ignoring that it was a paramotor (that I know nothing about) but as an engine running at 'proper' revs for an extended period of time, I'd say that the lean issue was the problem as the engine would have had lots of power but suffer detonation at the same time.

'Det' as it's called, tends to be like a tiny oxy torch flashing inside the engine, it lifts material and slowly makes a pretty nasty mess! When racing (2T Bikes) your looking for the leanest mix with as little 'Det' as possible....but not none as there should always be some unless your drowning the mix.

Lean mix also drives engine temps up, so it's not a good situation!

As with all things, some are snake oil some work. I've got 0% knowledge of Paramotors, but lots of experience from bikes and am at regular 250gp meets in the pits dealing with 2T engines at a VERY high state of tune......

To be honest, that's what I thought too (about the Leanness being the issue), but this guy, who has been rebuilding 2-stroke engines for Karting for decades was quite adament.

Mind you, he wasn't able to repair my H&E engine properly, so I started doubting his ability and sent my motor back to Spain to be rebuilt properly.

Cheers

Steve