Check this Video out

It was the muppet from Utah on holiday in Italy where the rule is no flying below 500'agl except for take off and landing. If you watch the film this comes from you'll see he doesn't give a damn that he put Italian paramotorists rights to fly at risk so he could satisfy his own needs on holiday.

...but at least he has a good crumple zone to protect his back! :roll:

Although that wouldn't have helped him much if an outer line had caught on one of those stacks in the yard, or a gust had blown him head on into the path of a truck on that bridge.

But then it's not really the pilot who I'm concerned about. I'm more worried about the driver who he hits or causes to take avoiding action. Or the worker in the yard who steps out from between the stacks to unexpectedly finds someone flying into him.

Don't get me wrong. I can appreciate that the pilot has a high level of flying skill and that this is an exciting video, but there is a time and a place for everything and this is so far from being the right time or place as to be obscene.

Ian.

This video makes me so angry. :evil:

I would like to see these pilots prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Seriously

We have a truly unique, unbelievable, but delicate freedom that no other form of aviation can enjoy. As a result of this freedom, we are able to avoid almost all of the (sometimes ridiculous) rules and costs that blights ALL other forms of aviation. The rules that do effect us are the common sense rules, the ones that these pilots blatently ignored.

I truly believe that the freedom of our sport lives on borrowed time, and that pilots and their stupid, solid evidence videos like this one just make it very easy for the beaurocrats to intervene at any time they fancy.

I would love to know the honest general consensus about this video. Maybe an anonymous poll?

Dan

My honest opinion is its a great video to watch but....he is obviously putting other people at risk on the bridge on the road!

Apart from that the rest of the video is pretty cool to watch.

Is this the same guy that done a show for redbull in a stadium and just missed a kid on the jeti?

Oh wheres all the free spirit gone?

This sounds like a fourm for the "Womens Institute"

Isnt the whole idea behind Free Sports is that we are each already the outsiders, have you ever tried to explain to someone exactly what running down a field with an engine on your back with every intention of flying off like a bird.

Granted these guys "appear" to be taking piss out of laws but in a way they are only amplifying what is in each of us, if it isnt you really shouldnt be taking to the skies. I hear gardening is fun and safe.

Its far to easy to sit and pass judgement and get annoyed but the reality is that vid is pretty darn cool and fun to watch

... and that is why I made the point that if you are going to do this then do it on your own patch where you risk losing your own privileges, not someone elses while you are on holiday before you wizz off home and leave them with all the problems. The muppet is totally selfish. You wouldn't like it if I came to you and pee'd off all the house owners surrounding your hard earned flying field.

You are right Rob, of course it is okay to endanger other peoples lives and risk endangering the future of the sport in somebody elses country.

As long as you get a good video in the process, of course!!!!

I hope that when he comes over here and flies under the bridges along the Thames with his 'free spirit' he gets a good video so that we all have something to watch after being grounded by the CAA.

Sorry mate but fanman is right. Sometimes the price to pay for a 'great video' is too high.

Eddie

Shabbington Womans Institute

Isnt the whole idea behind Free Sports is that we are each already the outsiders, have you ever tried to explain to someone exactly what running down a field with an engine on your back with every intention of flying off like a bird.

Granted these guys "appear" to be taking piss out of laws but in a way they are only amplifying what is in each of us, if it isnt you really shouldnt be taking to the skies. I hear gardening is fun and safe.

Its far to easy to sit and pass judgement and get annoyed but the reality is that vid is pretty darn cool and fun to watch

I'm interested to know if you would feel the same way if a case was put forward and passed to remove our deregulated status and make us have to register our aircraft (with all the administrative costs involved) based on video related evidence of irresponsibility like this.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a cool, fun to watch video, displaying excellent piloting skills, but, surely they must know that, for instance, forcing a car to stop on a highway by travelling in the opposite direction at ground level, might be amplifying there thrill factor, but is a seriously uncool and selfish act not only for the poor guy in the car, but more importantly the paramotoring community.

The stuff in the fields and over the water, in fact all of the stuff away from people was absolutely breathtaking stuff.

Do you really not get the difference Rob?

If you have been involved in GA you will understand what a royal pain in the arse regulated aviation is.

GA pilots know that the CAA stands for 'Campaign Against Aviation'. We really do not want their attention.

Rob, I hope for the sake of our sport that you are on a wind-up???

Yes, paramotoring is a minority sport which attracts free spirited individuals because of the exhilaration and freedom which it bestows upon us. But as with most freedoms there unfortunately come responsibilities.

In addition to my love of flight I also enjoy shooting. Just like with flying, there are people who would love to clamp down or erradicate shooting in this country. When shooting I try to minimise the effects that my hobby has on others. If I walked or drove along the road with my shotgun randomly shooting at people or property I would expect to bring the wrath of the authorities, the public and fellow shooters alike down on my head.

But perhaps you are one of the people who think that Derek Bird was just a free spirit who was expressing himself. Shame they never got a decent video of him blowing away all those people or all of those deaths would have been worth it, eh???

Just because I consider my actions and am not an irresponsible prick does not mean that I have no right to take to the skies and instead should start baking cakes or gardening!

Ian

But as with most freedoms there unfortunately come responsibilities.

Ian

Summed it up to a T.

Exhilarating video to watch but I think what happens if they get an engine out? OK if it's over the water or open areas then only themselves are in the s**t. If it's over the road with close traffic then it's not really acceptable is it, the guidelines are there for everybodies sake, unfortunately sh1t happens.

Alan

Honestly, no need to chill, I just figured I would stir things up a bit - we cant all go round blowing smoke up our own asses and who honestly wouldnt want to whizz along a highway over a freakin big bridge, and film it........or maybe thats just me.

No insult intended

Well that certainly brightened up my day, nice to see the WI is going strong

Lets see if this video can get you all up in arms

Now that's a cracking vid! :D

I'm all for the buzz and adrenaline rush but at the right place and the right time! Lol!

Thanks,

Ian.

Rob, that's an awesome video, but your reaction shows clearly that you really didn't get my point.

It's human nature for young males to need to take risk (caveman hunting thing), some more than others (hence extreme sports) and I have absolutely nothing but respect for these brave guys (maybe a little envy).

I only draw the line when other innocents are put at risk as a result of this need to take extreme risk, or we risk the freedom that we have with our sport.

Somehow, I think you won't understand until it's too late.

What's this Womens institute thing about? The very fact that this...debate or whatever it is, is occurring on a paramotoring forum should tell you that the guys here are not averse to a bit of risk.

Now, enough, I've got my cabbages to attend to, and you've probably got a cliff to base jump off :wink:

Cheers

Dan

Rob, I think most of us would love to have been doing the flying in the film and I know that I am far from squeaky clean when it comes to the rights and wrongs of my own flying but there are times to not publicise the fact.

Love the second video BTW.

Hi Dan

Whats the latest news on your shoulder?

With reference the Womans Institute I do not understand it either, Skydiving, base jumping, wing suit, motor bikes and paramotoring is all done here at the Shabbington WI !!.

Regards

Eddie

Hi Ed

Sounds like the Womens Mental Institute to me :D

Shoulder is doing ok. Almost no pain, but I'm told it's because there are no nerves left, and to brace myself in a few days. We'll see :|

Bummer that my GoPro and altimeter watch arrived today.

Would love to get over to UK to do some flying and maybe meet some of your Shabbington WI members :wink:

Cheers

Dan