Equipment Recommendations

druffuk

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good pair of boots as I'm going to need a new pair soon. Been looking around and there seem to be loads of walking type boots to choose from. Any particular brands better than others??

Also looking for some heated gloves, I have been recommended Klan but not sure which ones to buy. Do I just need the inners?? Can you still ground handle with these on?? What other brands do people have??

Also, does anyone know which TinyTach is suitable for a ParaJet Macro??

Thanks in advance

I would be seriously tempted to buy some pucka paragliding boots if I were you. Nice high ankles with good lateral support and no hooks for the laces that tend to catch on glider lines.

If you only use them for flying, they will probably last a lifetime with care.

I like my Crispi boots.

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good pair of boots as I'm going to need a new pair soon. Been looking around and there seem to be loads of walking type boots to choose from. Any particular brands better than others??

Also looking for some heated gloves, I have been recommended Klan but not sure which ones to buy. Do I just need the inners?? Can you still ground handle with these on?? What other brands do people have??

Also, does anyone know which TinyTach is suitable for a ParaJet Macro??

Thanks in advance

Buy a good pair of flying/paragliding boots

Inners will do

you will not need heated gloves for ground handling

I think its the twin spark one (cant remember the number)

Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated.

Have just purchased a pair of Salomon Cosmic's for £139... bargin. I did look around at the Hanwag and Crispi boots but they were quite abit more expensive and with the Salomon's I can use them for other purposes. If I don't like them when they arrive I can always send them back.

Have also contacted TinyTach with regards which model number the double spark version is...

Thanks again guys!! :)

• 4 months later...
Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated.

Have just purchased a pair of Salomon Cosmic's for £139... bargin. I did look around at the Hanwag and Crispi boots but they were quite abit more expensive and with the Salomon's I can use them for other purposes. If I don't like them when they arrive I can always send them back.

Have also contacted TinyTach with regards which model number the double spark version is...

Thanks again guys!! :)

How did you get on with your boots? Worth 140 squid?

Thinking of getting a pair.

Dan

I've got some HanWags - great support if a little hard to come by. I use them hiking and climbing too - but they are a tad heavy for constant use really.

Ben

I recently bought a pair of HanWags.....No problems with them so far, very supportive round the ankle, and comfortable too.

Neil.. :D

I've got some HanWags - great support if a little hard to come by. I use them hiking and climbing too - but they are a tad heavy for constant use really.

Ben

I recently bought a pair of HanWags.....No problems with them so far, very supportive round the ankle, and comfortable too.

Neil.. :D

Had mine 6 years now, Brill boots

I have a pair of Han Wag 5 season Alaska boots.

They have great support, but have been designed to walk in as well (unlike the flying ones I find)

Hanwag-Alaska-GTX.jpg

SW :D

• 4 weeks later...

Are those not hooks for the laces on those Han-Wag's Simon?

Personally, having experienced just how entangling glider lines can be (never mind your speed bar etc.), I don't think I could recommend a flyer to use anything with hooks rather than eyelets, regardless how much easier it makes them to put on (unless perhaps you don't mind a wrap of gaffer tape).

Maybe when I'm at your level of expertise I won't have to worry about stuff like that, but in the meantime, I still do.

Phil

In all of the time I have been flying a Paramotor, I have never hooked a lace around my boot hooks.

I have always had boots with hooks. I even remember Chris Dawes telling me not to worry about it on day 1 when I offered to tape them up.

I don't actualy know of anyone who has either????

SW :D

Well, I'm glad that everyone is skilled enough to avoid a perceived problem that has managed to generate a complete market sector.

Myself, I seem to get into trouble no matter what I do, so I think I'll just carry on reducing risk (perceived or or otherwise) in areas when I can. I know that I've managed to get in amongst my lines, even (or perhaps especially) when ground handling.

I also couldn't, with a clear conscience, advise someone to not bother mitigating a risk where possible.

Phil