Vertex VXA-300 Pilot III

flyingdoc

Hi All,

Yes I am still vacillating over the whole 2m airband argument. Most people suggest I should just bite the bullet and get both.

Has anyone heard of the VXA-300? Is it any good? It appears to be the cheapest handheld airband transceiver available at AFE in Manchester.

Comments gentlemen please?

Oh yes I know I need an RT licence. Had one before (GA) but need to retake the test.

Is it any good then to match up with an equally cheap 2m ?Yaesu or something similar? Which 2m would people recommend?

Thanks

:launchdance::launchdance::launchdance:

Hey Doc, if you have both then you always will be able to join the party. As for recommendations, that's difficult because so few are officially approved.

Have a chat with Eddie at Micro Avionics oop North. He is a very helpful chap and knows the business inside out. I have his headset and it is excellent, most people who use his kit swear by it. He would be able to give you the skinny on handhelds.

http://www.microavionics.com/

Hi All,

Yes I am still vacillating over the whole 2m airband argument. Most people suggest I should just bite the bullet and get both.

Has anyone heard of the VXA-300? Is it any good? It appears to be the cheapest handheld airband transceiver available at AFE in Manchester.

Comments gentlemen please?

Oh yes I know I need an RT licence. Had one before (GA) but need to retake the test.

Is it any good then to match up with an equally cheap 2m ?Yaesu or something similar? Which 2m would people recommend?

Thanks

:launchdance::launchdance::launchdance:

Do you mean these ones on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vertex-Standard-V ... 286.c0.m14

They look pretty good spec for the money, anyone elase use one and if so are they any good?

Dave.

Well,

Its in the same case as the 2 meter ones we used during the Skycar trip. So I can say.....

They are rugged as hell! Other than that, its over to the geeks ;-)

SW :D

Vertex is a brand name of the Yaesu Corp.

The reports I have heard for the VXA series of radios have been very favourable, although I have never tried one myself.

There are a whole rash of generic VHF Tx/Rx sets on ebay; the following is an example;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Weierwei-VEV-3288 ... 286.c0.m14

They come under a whole host of brand names. Again, I have no idea on quality, but lots of people seem to use them.

I personally have never experienced any problems buying stuff from the far east, and the traders are usually very eager to please. I have even known some of them make an error on the customs declaration, with the upshot that the item hasn't been levied for duty on the way in. Obviously in such an instance, any individual would feel compelled to contact customs and excise to have the matter put right. :roll::twisted:

From Simon's last post, I would say that they were VX(choose your number depending on cash available)R.

If that's the case, they are good sets, compact, robust and functional. Only thing I have problems with on my VX2 is remembering how to set certain features (like the other day trying to set the lock to NOT lock the PTT).

Phil

is this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Weierwei-VEV-3288 ... 286.c0.m14

suitable as an airband radio to talk to ATC then?

Hi bignos

If you look at the airmaps you will notice approach frequencies to aerodromes are below 136 therefore you need a VHF transeiver that opperates between about 108-137 VHF to speak to air traffic.

Most 2 mtr transeivers operate above 136 and are no use for air traffic.

As I understand things aerodrome services have changed this year and now offer a more basic service which leaves flight seperation responsibility to the pilots, unless you request a more detailed service. I would be reluctant to ask for this service at a busy aerodrome for fear of being a pain in the arse so would just keep clear.

Eddie from microavionics is excellent and his headsets are the Rolls Royce. I sent mine back fir a service after it got wet and he refurbished it, upgraded it to the new version and didn't charge me. Excellent after sales service and I will be usung him for any future radio or headset purchases.

Good luck, happy shopping.

Whitters.

thx,

so is this a 2m radio?

It is.

And just to clarify, any airfield on your chart that displays the letters LARS (Lower Airspace Radar Service) will be happy to talk to you, as will many smaller fields that don't have radar.

The LARS service was set up to provide some degree of safety for aircraft that might normally operate without contacting ATC at all.

The 'Basic Service' is what you would request on an initial call to a participating ATCU, and is the service that replaced the 'Radar Information service'. You will be expected to pass information on your type,location, altitude, heading etc.

Take your Flight Radio-telephony ticket and all will become clear.

Phil

I fly from a local airfield so i have to radio in for take off and again to get clearance to land this may sound as though its a bit of a pain but i have never known any different.

The radio i use is a standard vertex 150 which operates from 108 to 137, three of my colleagues use a vertex 220 which is available on ebay for about £130 hope this helps, Alan.