Pramania tip steering

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a link to the correct knot if your having trouble finding it.

http://www.custom-air.co.uk/paramania_fusion_wts.pdf

and for fusion fans I have some vids of me enjoying my Fusion 29.

For your information Full Slow and speedbar worked for me but I wouldn't recommend it (it was very calm, very high, and I barely touched the brakes)

let the trims out a little and then your good n safe on the green.

I was considering on whether to install the wingtip steering kit or not. I find that on full reflex it would be beneficial, but also found that simply pulling on the line itself is not that difficult, and quite effective. You don't need much travel to initiate a turn. I guess the kit would be better though, but worried about the knot slipping.

GD

I used the prusik knot and it slid ! and it was pulled tight.......but the problem is that you have to keep checking the knot and pulling it tight ....On the flight that it moved I did not give it a pull to check its tightness..But whilst flying merrily along I noticed it as I took in the scenery getting very close to the gage as it looped back in the wind and was able to pull it away a little ... :? ..Question is what would have happend if I had not noticed it and it caught the prop....I suspect I would have done a spiral that Raul Rodriguez would have been proud of .....On my or anybodys £2500 + wing you should not be having to tie knots to attach a steering system....it should be a Mandatory Modification.....before somebody gets Killed :evil:

Ive made the stabilis lines in two parts ie with a loop connection 1 mtr up from the riser to which now the tip stearing line can be fitted if you want to :idea:

This is exactly how the tip steering toggles are fitted to the ReAction, for info.

Alan

Prusik notts are designed to slip and IMO should not be used. They only maintain a grip when under tension. Used by climbers for climbing up a rope with a pair of foot stirrups. I've done it. Whilst your weight is on one stirrup you slide the other one up with your hand and then alternate.

Dave

So there you go........Ive passed the mod that Ive done to Paramania and this forum .....plenty of feed back from this forum but no responce from Paramania at all .. :cry: ...shh....nobody will get hurt.....(hope)... :o .Get it sorted PARAMANIA......its a great wing ....dont kill somebody because your too proud to improve it....... :(

since reading all your views I will be putting a kit together to produce a non slipping line replacement set for those that want it. Just for the fusions at first. Mine haven't slipped but it sounds like something that could happen.

Let me know SW if your interested in a fix. PM/Email me.

My lines don't seem to slip to be honest. I so rarely use the actual tip kit... ( normaly reach up for the line itself)

All up for making things safer though of course.

SW :D

I use the heat shrink when making the netting on my frames which is made with 200kg flying line. Its tricky and I have been known to cook a few and have to re do it. I can say that super glue would also work and doesen't appear to weaken the line, but long term on the line strength I would not like to guess. There are many options but only a few are really good for sure.

So there you go........Ive passed the mod that Ive done to Paramania and this forum .....plenty of feed back from this forum but no responce from Paramania at all .. :cry: ...shh....nobody will get hurt.....(hope)... :o .Get it sorted PARAMANIA......its a great wing ....dont kill somebody because your too proud to improve it....... :(

Just back from holiday so catching up. So sorry if out of date info.

IMHO for at least a year, the debate about slipping knots of the Revo has been going on without a reply or corrective action.

Looks like a Nelson eye is being used by Paramania and those that should know better to look at this problem. Are you saying the Fusion has the same problem?

The knot is designed to slip. As any climber will tell you. It is the worst knot to choose as it increases the risk of it slipping into the prop.

I'm stunned it this world of liability that people make and sell this "known" problem. The fix is easy (and cheap) as proven in this thread and by another make of wing.

Power to the forum. Come on guys, get this fixed. It only has to stop it slipping once on one wing to save a life. When safety/accidents are concerned, if it can happen it will happen....

Cheers

Paul

P.S. This isn't a dig at anyone. Just the mention of spiral... at this time of year... reminded me that Kev would have shouted the loudest to make this sport safer. So I'm trying to do it for him.

I now have kits available as pre-order, It needs finalizing and testing on my Fusion 29. Available in all wing sizes of the Paramania range, Revo Fusion GT.

Based on replacement split stabilo lines with new shorter pre-measured Wing Tip Steering lines all measured to perfection with fitting instructions. Will be about £25 for the kit inc delivery.

When I have finished the fitting instructions I will make them available as a PDF so anyone can check them out see what they think. Will be next week now.

Vince, that is an essential modification in my opinion. It is a shame that the manufacturer stick their heads in the sand over this matter. Well done you for offering a proper fix. If you don't buy this kit then you don't consider your life to be worth more than £25.

I spoke to soon and the line price was per side :shock: it is due to the work involved is the eqivelent to 6 lines with loops (4 short & 2 long).

I have done some negotiating and got the price to £40 for a complete set on the promise of more orders. Its dearer but a good permanent fix.

Photo's next week.

I will try a set.

Do I order from you or them?

I would like to see the system working under varied conditions to be honest but it sounds like a nice simple one and a very good idea.

WELL DONE!

SW :D

I spoke to soon and the line price was per side :shock: it is due to the work involved is the eqivelent to 6 lines with loops (4 short & 2 long).

I have done some negotiating and got the price to £40 for a complete set on the promise of more orders. Its dearer but a good permanent fix.

Photo's next week.

£40 seems a lot as all they have to do is make the stabilo line in two(where the knot goes now) and then loop them all together there

as the Wing Tip Steering lines already have the loops in.

I think the reaction is like this.

Pete b

This is not a criticism or an inference, purely a question.

Is there any issue with applying 'non manufacturer approved' modification kits to wings? Might the modification take the wing from its certified and approved form and turn it into something else? Could this raise insurance questions?

Again I am not casting doubt on the quality of work or the design of the mod, just curious about the further effects of making additions like this. I seek knowledge... :lol: