POLICE (Flying over roads)

if regulation ever did come in i am bewildered how they would ever police it,

They have things called police helicopters, If you didn't have a number they could follow you or make you land confiscate your kit and fine you.

If there is money in it for them through fines they will do it, its easier and would be more rewarding than trying to catch burglars which is why burglars are very rarely caught now.

Pete b

Good points Dan,

This is lunacy. Skilled and super talented pilots are a comparatively rare commodity, made so in part by the abundance of them in graveyards.

"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, there are no old bold pilots"

Dave

Good points Dan,

This is lunacy. Skilled and super talented pilots are a comparatively rare commodity, made so in part by the abundance of them in graveyards.

"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, there are no old bold pilots"

Dave

There are old burnt pilots though :D

Pete b

if regulation ever did come in i am bewildered how they would ever police it, they are so obtainable and take off from plenty places how would or could they?

number the wings well you can still get wings from abroad. i really cant see how they could police it and i think part the reason it aint regulated is due to the hassle doing it.

i think it would be one of those laws people would just ignore really

On the whole, the CAA will deal reactively and just respond when there is a crash or something like. Lets face it, there are plenty of folks flying around on trikes that don't have the required qualification or registration, plus powered parachutes and even slightly heavier stuff. The CAA won't bother chasing, they'll just deal with you harshly if and when you get it wrong.

I can't see them deploying police choppers routinely to chase us (not to say there isn't the odd occurrence of that), it isn't cost effective or sensible use of resources.

Personally, I don't actually enjoy low level stuff (at least not at my point on the learning curve). I'd much rather bimble along at 3000 feet, enjoying the view. Being low makes me nervous that my options are limited and I won't be able to deploy a reserve. Being close to the ground twice in each flight is enough for me.

if regulation ever did come in i am bewildered how they would ever police it, they are so obtainable and take off from plenty places how would or could they?

number the wings well you can still get wings from abroad. i really cant see how they could police it and i think part the reason it aint regulated is due to the hassle doing it.

i think it would be one of those laws people would just ignore really

In Ireland (south)- 10,000 Euro fine, confiscation of equipment and 'possible' prison sentence for flying without an IAA exemption... wouldn't this put you off?

In saying that, i'm not aware of any prosecutions.

well no it wouldnt put me off , use radios without licences that aint pmr and they claim big prosecutions but ive not heard of any, they always tell you the maximum you could get to deter you, id prob tell court how depressed i was and i was tryin to find jesus, ya know they would prob give me a government grant to sort my self out lol , thats how twisted the law system is lol

I learnt to fly my microlight (flexwing) at Barton airport manchester the landing approach took you straight over the m62 to land or over a load of flats a very dense built up area and the high level manchester ship canal motorway bridge near the Traffod center ....nobody ever complained (those were the Days),,,,,,and sometimes I had to avoid the trucks :shock: perhaps I should have reported their driving to the Police :lol: and some of the low flying the airforce get up to from around here needs to be seen to be believed.....ps my own horses are not bothered by my antics when taking off or landing my paramotor....they just get on with life and have never told me to stop or complained to the police :?

I don't think i would wan't to fly low over a road in fear of being hit by some arsole on his mobile and not looking at the road, which was the most likely cause of the crash. There's a lot of other priorities before the police worry about chasing a paramotorist for low flying. As some one said there could of been circumstances beyond the pilots control due to weather ect. If we are all perfect pilots in full control all the time then we would not have excusses, being in the BMAA i get the accident reports with the magazine and it normally comes down to bad judgement and unexpected circumstances. We all know what to do but don't always do it.

That's my say right or wrong

Russel :)

I can't see them deploying police choppers routinely to chase us (not to say there isn't the odd occurrence of that), it isn't cost effective or sensible use of resources.

Don't think they have to chase us Phil, not in this neck of the woods anyway. The Police chopper has circled the Measham field, also did the same when I was flying out of a Nottinghamshire field, no doubt 'clocking' the location. I feel any complaint in the area, they know exactly where to come. Probably be there before you have even got back to he field.

Bendme

Don't think they have to chase us Phil, not in this neck of the woods anyway. The Police chopper has circled the Measham field, also did the same when I was flying out of a Nottinghamshire field, no doubt 'clocking' the location. I feel any complaint in the area, they know exactly where to come. Probably be there before you have even got back to he field.

Bendme

I suspect that might have something to do with the proximity of the field to E Mids airport where they are based. They've probably seen us flying round there so took a shuftie. They may even have been asked by ATC to have a look if we were occasionally showing up on radar.

Best answer to that one is make all your flights cross country so you never land at your take off point :-)

And as an aside, did you know that Steve Faucets' round the world flight was classed as a local flight because his point of departure and arrival were the same place?

Re Radar,

Paramotors appear as a small flock or birds on a RAF Spec ATC Radar (if at all)

As we saw when the PMC did a trip to RAF Lyneham last year.

Time for another me thinks.... :D (Maybe Brize this time)

SW :D