Karan has started - shall we?

Our friend in Nepal has started out with his dream. If you want an idea of what this is about beyond what is written here you might try my blog,The Digital Aviator - here.

This initiative is still in its formative stages but let me give you an idea of what we have planned.

We want to help and encourage Karan in the formation of his Mountain Hawk Aero Sports Club. We have started with small steps, Dave has donated a flying suit, me a Noel Whittal special and part sponsorship of his initial training and Simon has something cooking in the background that will make a big leap for him.

I am still working out how best to arrange the practicalities of delivering our help and assistance but want here and now to offer our members the chance to participate. Every contribution will go directly into the project, nothing will be consumed in administration or air travel.

In the coming week I will be setting up a method (probably PayPal) for us to drop a penny in the hat and or donate equipment to Mountain Hawk. In the coming months I will bring you up to speed with developments, they will of course be happening in real time so there won't be a constant flow of information across the blog.

What might this mean for members in the future? Karan has a stated objective of providing low cost accommodation and touring of his beloved Nepal. He is passionate about this and I believe will achieve it as perhaps in a way only a Gurkha might. I have had the privilege of meeting a number of these gentlemen, they are an inspirational bunch to be with who regard love and honour as sacred words. My grandfather had a more stressful association with them in Burma some time ago. :lol:

For the cynical among us (I include myself in that category sometimes) I have been talking to Karan for some time and believe him to be doing exactly as he states, I could copy PM's and emails to illustrate this but I think it would be a violation of his privacy and trust. This is one decent and tough fella', he has my trust and confidence and I will do all I can to help him - fancy joining in with a contribution however modest - have a think about it? This is one way of giving something back to a people who have done so much for us in the past.

20090503-tqr228ackidb3q8rsk8qi6x8qw.jpg

20090503-rsjf6tkknwwtwneab56e5earmd.jpg

Edited by Guest

Our friend in Nepal has started out with his dream. If you want an idea of what this is about beyond what is written here you might try my blog,The Digital Aviator - here.

This initiative is still in its formative stages but let me give you an idea of what we have planned.

We want to help and encourage Karan in the formation of his Mountain Hawk Aero Sports Club. We have started with small steps, Dave has donated a flying suit, me a Noel Whittal special and part sponsorship of his initial training and Simon has something cooking in the background that will make a big leap for him.

I am still working out how best to arrange the practicalities of delivering our help and assistance but want here and now to offer our members the chance to participate. Every contribution will go directly into the project, nothing will be consumed in administration or air travel.

In the coming week I will be setting up a method (probably PayPal) for us to drop a penny in the hat and or donate equipment to Mountain Hawk. In the coming months I will bring you up to speed with developments, they will of course be happening in real time so there won't be a constant flow of information across the blog.

What might this mean for members in the future? Karan has a stated objective of providing low cost accommodation and touring of his beloved Nepal. He is passionate about this and I believe will achieve it as perhaps in a way only a Gurkha might. I have had the privilege of meeting a number of these gentlemen, they are an inspirational bunch to be with who regard love and honour as sacred words. My grandfather had a more stressful association with them in Burma some time ago. :lol:

For the cynical among us (I include myself in that category sometimes) I have been talking to Karan for some time and believe him to be doing exactly as he states, I could copy PM's and emails to illustrate this but I think it would be a violation of his privacy and trust. This is one decent and tough fella', he has my trust and confidence and I will do all I can to help him - fancy joining in with a contribution however modest - have a think about it? This is one way of giving something back to a people who have done so much for us in the past.

20090503-tqr228ackidb3q8rsk8qi6x8qw.jpg

20090503-rsjf6tkknwwtwneab56e5earmd.jpg

Norman,

Count me in. My Dad was in Burma, he never really talked about it much/enough?, but he did voice his huge respect for Gurkas. I've inherited this - and with a significant birthday this summer - helping Karan could be an ideal present. Who really needs another wing?

When you are next near Bath or Wells? I feel a pub chat is needed :-)

Cheers

Paul

Paul,

Chat and a beer long overdue, I will be up at Piers place on the 13th-14th and will look for an opportunity to get together. I'm up for any suggestion and any kind of help with the Mountain Hawk project. 'K' is worth the effort. :lol:

Norman,

Can you create a list of the required kit please so that people can 'see' what is needed and relate it to something laying around in the garage.

(remember that GPS 12 you gave me?) With your permission, he can have that.

SW :D

Dave,

Brilliant, thanks for that.

Simon and all,

Karan has two missions, one short, the other longer term.

Short Term is to get trained, gain experience, finish his service with the Army and then return to Nepal. This is going to take him around eighteen months I think, though the time of exit from the Army isn't fixed. Training will take place in India at Pune and will be funded by him taking out a loan to which I have added a little sponsorship. June is the proposed course month, I think he may have leave.

Longer Term. After building experience flying around Nepal (yes, he needs to be careful) he will train as an instructor to bring along a cadre of Nepalese PPG pilots within Mountain Hawk ASC, a PMC Branch.

He has a strong desire to create simple accommodation near his home in Pockhara so that visitors can join him touring his region. He is essentially creating a small business but doing it from low starting point which is why he needs our help. During the experience building phase we may be able to get out to see him and help him along advising and refining his technique as appropriate [When I say we here I add myself as an observer, motivator and maker of tea]. Simon and others suitably qualified will take the role of trainers and mentors. Not a bad little gig - Kathmandu then Pockhara for a week or two?

20090504-f8y4mwew87ip3yb2a8nmguds57.jpg

Let me just stress here that Karan is really keen to host members in Nepal, his objective with his accommodation is to keep it simple and the prices far below what you would pay in the hotels designed for the western traveller. When he has established himself my view as a globe trotter is that the experience available will probably be like no other. Nepal is a stunning place to fly, ask Simon Payne what he thought of it, he has been to Pockhara.

Short term needs

Kit! He has a flying suit and a book at the moment and that is about it, boots shouldn't be a problem for a soldier. Gurkhas have good boots for jungle work that will do well for PPG. We seem to have acquired a motor for him (it will need a little work) and there is the merest rumour of a wing. He needs a reserve, helmet, gloves and spares for the motor of all sorts.

Dare I say it - money. A little does go a fair way in Nepal but paramotor spares and other western goods are tough to find a budget for on Eastern wages. I have a PayPal Donate button on Karan's blog. You can also reference a page that will be kept up to date so that the current state of play is available reference kit etc.

I almost hesitate to ask you to use it but will do so on the basis that no contribution is to small and will be valued as highly as a larger one. Every penny raised will make it to Mountain Hawk in targeted expenditure. None will be used for transportation or expenses. The accounts will be available to any contributor who wants to see them along with copies of online bank statements should they require them. I want everyone to have the utmost confidence in this project and understand its objectives.

3rded!

Lets go for it guys, and help to get this thing going. As norman says, £20 is nothing to many people in the UK but will make a HUGE difference to the rest of Karan's life.

I did a driving course in the ARMY with a load of Gurkas, they will do anything to help anyone, is about the best way to describe most of them.

If your feeling a little skint, please remember this when you have a few bob.

If 50 people donate £20, that's £1000 in total!

SW :D

20090505-q72b6i8b924n1j8mfbpffxs45t.jpg

Colin, Simon, Eddie, thanks guys, we have a great start.

Its important for me to outline what we are aiming to do with the contributions as they come in.

Karan's initial PPG training to PPG2 is covered by his own resources and a bit of sponsorship. Our push is to get the guy equipped and airborne, not set him up in business. He will do that after he has built his flying experience and reached the stage where he can qualify as an instructor. I am sure we would like to help him then as well, but the journey is his alone as it would be for any of us.

Motor...... we might just have one

Wing..... we have a prospect

Reserve.... we have a outer case, need the big flappy bit that goes inside

Spares packup.... needs

Spare Prop(s)... needs

Spot/McMurdo?.... not essential but desirable...

He has a fair old path to tread before he reaches the point where he can lead PPG tours, he is well aware of the safety, regulatory and other practical hurdles that he will encounter and must leap.

Every journey, every dream starts with a first step, Karan has made that move and I hope we are here to help him make the others that might otherwise be insurmountable.

Karan will be passing the detail of his progress to me and I will keep his blog updated, my aim is to get him to document his journey so that we can all share the ups and down with him.

I would also like to invite someone to come forward to provide oversight of what I am doing. If you are interested please drop me an email. I need someone who believes in what we are trying to achieve, holds the community's respect and is able and willing to look across our efforts and verify that we are 'doing the right thing' with our contributors trust.

Any contribution is very, very welcome. It doesn't need to be £20, it IS the thought that counts, not the amount. I must also stress that this is definitely not charity, this is a bunch of pilots trying to help another potential pilot reach a very tough dream. :)

20090505-p972ynw1j4j552h4h5y54yuw6r.jpg

20090505-bp8mwy4ner7dn1pr7dntgjqn3g.jpg

I can relate to watching the big birds soaring and wishing I could do that. A bit short of Eagles here in Devon, but plenty of gulls.

Inch by inch I'm getting closer to being able to do what they do. only this morning I stole ice creams from two toddlers and mugged an old lady for her chips :lol:

I have a pair of I-Boy gloves brand new still in the packet. Size large if of any help? Let me know where to send them

Dave,

His head size is 57cm and I am assuming that he doesn't have one at the moment?

I haven't heard from him for a little while so it is likely he is out training or on Ops.

ATB,

Norman

The helmet I have should fit him fine, let me know if he needs it and I will sort it out, I have a spare windsock too if he wants it, mite have a few other bits I will have a rummage at the weekend.

Dave.

Replied by PM, thanks Dave.

Contributions are trickling in, not huge in number but when they arrive they sometimes deliver a surprise. We have had two donations of £100 from two kind souls.

Karan has not been in touch recently, I am pretty sure he is either out training or on Ops.

Thanks for the contribution gents, we are starting to get some meaningful help together for our man. As a matter of record, the average salary for a Nepalese worker (BBC a couple of days ago) is around £400 which places a perspective on our efforts to help Karan. Every bean we collect will go to that cause.

Hi Norman

Am just waiting for a few quid to come my way and I'll chip in a bit! Can I just ask though (having lived in India for a couple of years I'm always sceptical of things like this) are YOU keeping hold of these funds and having full control on what it gets spent on and when?

No disrespect to Karan but I've seen similar situations turn out to be one big scam that can take a couple of years to come to fruition!

Cheers

Malc

Yes Malcs, a good and fair point;

I have been in PM and email contact with Karan for some time and we have talked on the phone. I have sent a flying suit and reading materials to him through his regimental address in Varannasi where he has received them. The help we give will not arrive in pound notes anyway, Karan has taken out a loan to part fund his flying training in India to which I have added some sponsorship. He will train at Pune which is just down the road from Mumbai. I hope to grab a Mumbai trip around the time he is there and will drop down to meet him and his instructor.

Karan has essentially placed himself in our hands hoping for targeted advice, he hasn't asked for money though did ask if there was any way we could help.

If the lad were carrying out a nefarious plot I doubt he would expose himself to sanction and subsequent humiliation from his regiment and CO. Besides, as we know, Gurkhas are a very proud people and hold honour very high in their set of personal standards. I am prepared to say that if anything of that nature were to surface I will personally return all funds collected to their donor. I trust this man.

That guarantee is also a measure of the care I will take applying the assistance we are generating.

Edited by Guest

Just heard from Karan, he is back in the loop now and has seen what we are doing for him.

Please bear in mind that customs of greeting vary across the planet... :oops: I ain't one of them 'funny boys' :D

Phone numbers removed for security/privacy, the rest left as is.

Daji = elder brother

Bhai = younger brother

Hi,Daji Very Happy

Namaste, Daji yes . I see all activites done by u, Thanks Daji.

Daji today I booked My train tikets for Pune. My journey Stared for MHASC is from 13 Jun 2009 & and i will reach there in 15 Jun And my course started from 16 Jun to 20 Jun 2009. This is my basic course (PM1) I send u a full course detailed in ur mail. Daji I just open My new Bank AC also in ICICI Bank. I will send detail later. Daji tomorow I have to go Nepal. I there I will try to register our Club (Mountain Hawk ASC) what ever I will do there I will inform u continuesly.

Daji XXXXXXXXXXX (india)

XXXXXXXXXX (Nepal)

Daji these are my Phone no..............

Thanks Daji Very Happy

your loving Bhai......................................

Karan

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: :arrow:

Karan rang me in Toronto (9.5 hours time zone diff) before the sparrows awoke an hour ago to tell me that he was just getting on the plane to fly down to Pune to start his course. It starts on the 16th and runs to the 20th June. It is the first module (about half of PMC PPG1) of a two module course. When he gets through that we (the PMC MHASC Advisory Group - Paul Watkins, Piers Dent and myself) have a plan for him that we will share with you after he finishes this first step.

Karan will be writing down his impressions and experiences and taking photos during his course with Wings and Flights. His words and images will be posted on his Blog by myself.

20090614-jyg5wb2n1gskhq8gmg4355rwsf.jpg20090614-fmtadjw592b38hy2jn5ecbrawi.jpg

The guy is really made up that people from a faraway land would help him (he has found the majority himself from savings and a bank loan). If you ever had a dream of flying in Nepal with someone who knows the country and can show it to you, dream on for just a while longer.

20090614-x13dbame68753r1k744epxatwr.jpg20090614-e9kpxd135gtrepbkj97s1qf1dj.jpg