Norman - Training Blog

norman

After around 15 minutes I realised what people had been waffling on about when they said the brakes are really heavy on the Revolution when the trimmers are out. My arms were (and still are) killing me - if you have the kit, install your tip steering, you need it.

I have the same wing and no tip steering kit, I just use weightshift to steer as I clip in the brakes as soon as the trimmers are out, have you tried that ?

I see you now have your mantlepiece ornament ......

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Dan,

I tried weight shift with the trimmers out but have some way to go with it. I have a tip steering kit but it's not fitted yet; another suggestion was just to grab the tip lines and use them in the interim. Either way it is a little academic as I will be sending my 'ornaments' off somewhere to get them fixed so that I can use them again. That or new jobbies....

Glad to see you made a great day of it, sorry I didn't hang around long enough to shoot the breeze but I needed to get back to win some points. See you later in the month with luck.

All the best,

Norman

Would have got tip steering fitted as standard if you had gone for the Synth ;)

It may sound like a daft question but did you have keys, wallet, phone, etc in your trouser pockets? I have great difficulty getting seated if I don't empty out my pockets before flying.

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks, yep' I had my phone in my left pocket but I think I have found the problem, I have extended the 'U' connection that drop from the arms into the harness by adding two mallions (one to each side - Parajet approved) - one of them was sitting on its side in the webbing so shortening itself. That and the corduroy trousers stuffed me I think. 'San fairyanne' as they say.

I am looking at replacement prop options now and I think the cage will need to go back to the talented Chris for a little attention. It is just a little distorted, not mashed though a small section might need looking at where the prop dinged it.

It's irritating and embarrassing to 'stumph' in like that but what the heck, I'm old and ugly enuf not to bother too much about it. If its good enuf' for the others.... I just love it - it's scary enough to be exhilarating but safe enough to enjoy.

I hope all's well with you Ian, looking to be doing a bit of trip swapping in Feb I understand? :wink:

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Col,

Willdo. Seen this link by the way? It has the potential to create a little..... debate in the house methinks..... :?

As things stand at the moment I am am sending my props off to be repaired by TP. They say.... er :roll: they might have 'something similar' kicking around that might just do the job. Shelling out £300 a shot isn't a viable proposition. LOL

Cage wise I need to get my rig to Chris for a little attention. It (the cage) is just a little distorted - a pair of talented hands always beats my grubby mit weilding a hide faced hammer. This is a flying machine for goodness sake! :D

If I don't see ya'll for a while don't worry, the day job is intervening a tad at the moment. I should be around towards the end of the month to provide the cabaret (...the ratatat-tat and accompanying carbon fiber splinter shower). 8)

[Press the red button for four seconds Klutze.]

The main reason I didn't buy a Parajet was because I thought the prop looked exceedingly expensive to replace (and concern that the funky cage which looks great gives more opportunity for a brake handle to go into the prop). As long as you are aware of those facts I think it still is one of the best paramotors on the market today. AFAIK there aren't many (any?) others that give you a proper charging system like the Parajet does.

I am collecting my new ground adjustable GSC propeller from an LA trip next weekend (I am having it shipped from Canada) and can't wait to try it. It allows me to chose the prop pitch I want and I can change it as often as I like. The 2 blade prop is 115 quid (230 US$) but they do make a 3 blade for 335 US$. This might make a very cheap (and possibly much better) replacement option for the Parajet. The GSC 2 bladers get rave reviews from Black Devil owners. Best of all if you dink a blade you can replace it for 50 quid! Although the web site says the max size is 44" they will make props whatever size you want if you ask. Here is the web site...

http://www.ultralightprops.com/ppg_prop ... adjust.htm

Speak to Rick, he is incredibly helpful.

Regards

Ian (stuck in NY on a 17 hour turnaround and no bl00dy pub here can show us the rugby. Arrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhh!)

Dink all 3 and it's still a chuff of a lot cheaper than an entire prop from anywhere else. I have seen a few damaged props this year involving just one blade. Also, the ability to fine tune your prop pitch for your individual engine is invaluable.

Form what little I know about the subject of adjustable props....

I had a Student here yesterday who flies a Gyro Coptor / Plane. He has ground adjustable props.

Both him and the only one other person I know to have played with them on a Paramotor have said that you will spend a load of time getting it wrong, messing up the pitch and you will wish you could just bolt a prop on a forget about it.

I can see NO advantage to having a ground adjustable prop.

Also, ref the cage and the brake handles, Therre is the option to cover this upper cage with netting at the point of purchase when you buy a Parajet.

The Frame sections are £90 per section, which is way less than others. (that even includes the Titanium frame) which I argue is the strongest Paramotor frame in the global market today.

Let us know how you get on with your prop and if you ever adjust it one you have it set up correclty.

SW :D:D

Having bust two props now I can claim to be, at least experienced in the art of carbon fiber rearrangement if nothing else.

Let's remember that I am big and heavy and the loads that get transmitted to my cage when I fall over are unusually large. When I fully get the hang of this game I don't expect to bend (m)any props. For me this phase is part of the learning process. In a perfect world we would train on wooden props and would be issued with two on purchase of the motor. S'life.

On the subject of prop pricing and Parajet; knowing these guys I doubt that they are trying to get rich from the sale of replacement props. They have integrity whist running a business in a tough environment. Talking to one very experienced carbon fiber engineer, he, when being told the price of the new unit said, "I couldn't make it for that, I would need something like that as a margin." So really, although £300 hurts, it isn't unrealistic.

What does surprise me is that an item thought to be unique to Parajet is being sold by another vendor and at well below the Parajet price. I don't want to speculate at what is happening here but will look to keep my paramotoring costs under control in any way I can. I will try TP and feed back how this plays out.

Paramotoring doesn't come free for anyone and generally, you get what you pay for don't you?

Norman, I don't know if you are referring to a certain prop manufacturer in Thailand. If so I would suggest you PM me or call me. The whole prop issue really doesn't need to be so horrendously expensive.

Be very careful about other manufacturers props as they vary enormously despite claiming the same pitch and diameter (in some cases). I have 2 props sold by big name suppliers which are both claimed to be specifically made for my engine. One is so badly overpitched that the engine loses over 1000 rpm after a short period of time (and the CHT goes through the roof due to the load) while the other spins like a banshee but doesn't give enough thrust to even get me off the deck.

Ground adjustable props are the solution to the aftermarket issue IF YOU UNDERSTAND HOW TO USE THEM. The main problem with ppg props is that most people do not understand the symptoms of excess over or under pitch and usually start blaming carburation or fuel flow issues.

Regards

Ian

PS - I know approximately a dozen people (mainly in the US) who have bought the 2 blade version of the GSC adjustable. All of these guys stick with it in preference to fixed pitch props.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Flew on the 1st June with Piers up at Stroud of a Polo field. Bowling green flat on the top of a hill. Evening flight that went really well until I tapped the stop button getting into the seat. Unfortunately the battery was only part charged so a restart wasn't possible.

A bit too far downwind to glide back so lobbed into a field. The sun set and the pub didn't do food... bugger. Soon be up there again and back into the wide blue yonder.

Thanks Simon, a transformed experience.

We will make it this summer, I am up again asap. I have always known that these three factors (instructor/weather/time) played merry hell with opportunity, but would never have though that it was so difficult to line them up. Its my roster and the sensitivity of PPG to weather that screws it - so much more than conventional fixed wing.

Thanks Simon, a transformed experience.

We will make it this summer, I am up again asap. I have always known that these three factors (instructor/weather/time) played merry hell with opportunity, but would never have though that it was so difficult to line them up. Its my roster and the sensitivity of PPG to weather that screws it - so much more than conventional fixed wing.

Stop making excuses and get yer bum in the air.

Pete b

Flew on the 1st June with Piers up at Stroud of a Polo field. Bowling green flat on the top of a hill. Evening flight that went really well until I tapped the stop button getting into the seat. Unfortunately the battery was only part charged so a restart wasn't possible.

A bit too far downwind to glide back so lobbed into a field. The sun set and the pub didn't do food... bugger. Soon be up there again and back into the wide blue yonder.

Norman, it was a classic fun with mates evening. I can't wait for the expanded the story:-)

Cheers

Paul

OK then...

I reckon we should film every takeoff, the amount of detail and the reality of our efforts to get into the air are such incredible value. You feel such a dork watching what felt at the time to be a reasonable moment to try the seat for flyability only to find out that.... it isn't there yet and it won't. Video illustrates things beautifully.

After a first attempt the second worked reasonably well and I got scooped off the ground. The Monster flew like a dream and the Syth 34 as straight as a die, it was really good to be off the ground again.

20090608-ekw65hy3hkfth6tcywcya63dce.jpg

On the latter part of the downwind leg I decided to stow the brakes and throttle and slip myself back into my seat. For some reason my feet couldn't' quite get to the kick in strap and rather than struggle precariously I thought I would find it with my hands and shrug myself back. In the process of doing the above I must have touched the sensitive stop button. My battery was insufficiently charged to start the motor again (I didn't have a charger) so I had a peaceful glide back to mother with silence behind.

Unfortunately by this time I was jut a little too far downwind to glide back to the takeoff field across a belt of trees, so rather than risk it decided to lob into a rather unsuitable, but easily accessible (from the air that is) field close by. A passable landing and no damage to the pink creature (me) nor my kit thank goodness. A quick chat on the radio after I landed and sorted myself out put the lads mind at rest and set in motion the retrieve. That was the fun bit.... :roll:

20090608-bsu1spq97ru13tfdix91icxmw9.jpg

There isn't much else to say really other than thank you to the generous and imperturbable Paul and Piers duo who retrieved me. Their hearts must as sank as I dropped into the valley out of sight with a stopped motor.

20090608-buyp8pmk861jjjb76iiwacwr9h.jpg

20090608-8j15e7ybry5d7ac2x28fd79ha9.jpg

Paul and Piers were stars - with my Landrover they managed to find me and point to a gate not yards from where I was intent on beating my way through a hedge (er.... it was dark and very overgrown :lol: ).

I have to say I had a thoroughly enjoyable time as did Piers as you can see from the shot below (we closed the door on him and I showed him a bit of off road. Well, as gently as I could....

20090608-n4irst8gqms4xhr34pxh6gqjmf.jpg

:roll:

Thanks for the help and the pictures Paul - please come again! I canna' wait for the next time - what a great sport! :D

Notes

The camera makes the scene look darker than it actually was.

Fly with a fully charged battery and if you don't, stay well within gliding distance of the field like your instructor tells you and don't fly downwind wiggling into your seat. And if you can't......

Make sure the pub serves food so that you can feed your retrieve crew (thankfully in an act of blinding forethought I brought some wine with me and Piers is a dab hand at the stove).

Onward & Upward!