Beach flying again

AndyB

8 minutes ago, alan_k said:

Hi Poz,

How are things? I thought Andy must be near to you from his location.

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan. 

All's fine down in the CdS. It's just the ongoing battle that the over 50's have to face all the time trying to keep the old body fit enough to foot launch. Great incentive though.

I don't make it easy on myself now that I've fallen in love with the Thor 250, at not far off my age in Kg's when fuelled :(  I look like a complete spas hobbling along with that on my back trying to launch haha

Hope you're well.

Dan

1 hour ago, poz said:

Ha, I just watched your video. You fly right by my launch. Was trying to spot my van in the field. What day was this Andy?

I think that was Sunday 17 Sept, flying from a beach 2 Km NE of Estepona....my favourite place as I can park on the beach! Let me know if you fancy a fly sometime.

ps. the beach had no name so I have called it Playa Volador (flying beach!) and got Google to accept it. Search on it and find the best place to fly. :)

pps I also called the beach Turd Beach (as many dog turds). I thought Google had rejected this....but I just got an email saying it has been accepted!!!!!!

This evening I went for height. I have been wanting to get to the mountain I can see from my patio - Paraje Natural Los Reales de Sierra Bermeja. It is 4500 feet, so about a mile high. It was 28 deg on the beach and about 19 deg  a mile up. Quite nice really! I didn't get too close to the peak as the wind was being blustery. I got 7 miles inland and did a power off glide all the way back to Estepona. There is a storm due in tomorrow and I was getting really odd wind conditions, gusting from nothing to over 8 mph and swinging through more than 90 deg. Just as I decided to land, wind reversed 180 deg.... but then dropped to zero!

The video starts from about 3000 feet as I spiral slowly while climbing to 4500. The view over the Costa del Sol was amazing.

Costa mile high.png

Estepona mile up.png

Sounds like you had an interesting time! Wind was still a bit rough high up this evening. I would have liked to get closer to the mountain but it wasn't nice. I am also still trying to be nice to my new AC Nitro! Weather Thursday onwards looking good again.

• 3 years later...
On 22/09/2017 at 12:27, AndyB said:

I think that was Sunday 17 Sept, flying from a beach 2 Km NE of Estepona....my favourite place as I can park on the beach! Let me know if you fancy a fly sometime.

ps. the beach had no name so I have called it Playa Volador (flying beach!) and got Google to accept it. Search on it and find the best place to fly. :)

pps I also called the beach Turd Beach (as many dog turds). I thought Google had rejected this....but I just got an email saying it has been accepted!!!!!!

24 minutes ago, PAPPaul said:

Hi Andy can you be more specific about the take off beach east of estepona, can find it with google??

Paul

Unfortunately we lost that launch site when they removed vehicle access and built a wooden foot bridge right across it, last year

Thanks Poz

do you know any other areas circa there?

people are still flying here but it’s like the worlds best kept secret, nobody on Facebook internet etc can say where from,

starting to think there is some kind of secret cave 😂

I have flown Bornos with flyspain but quite a track up there as I live in Manilva

thanks for your help

Paul

1 hour ago, PAPPaul said:

Thanks Poz

do you know any other areas circa there?

people are still flying here but it’s like the worlds best kept secret, nobody on Facebook internet etc can say where from,

starting to think there is some kind of secret cave 😂

I have flown Bornos with flyspain but quite a track up there as I live in Manilva

thanks for your help

Paul

Hi Paul.

Unfortunately official launch sites in this area no longer exist. If you see a PPG flying, the chances are that they are either flying from somewhere without permission, or are flying with a very delicate permission that would be revoked if more pilots started turning up.

I'm sure this situation is not unique to this area ie a pilot occasionally flying losing their permission because a load more pilots crash the party. It happened to me and it's really upsetting, especially when you have worked really hard preparing the site to make it flyable, and made promises to the land owner that only you will fly there. 

It would be great if we could have an official flying field where we could form a club, but any spare flat land just gets snapped up by developers and built on very quickly. 

Dan.

Well said Dan,  I dare say many of the pilots on this forum are probably thinking 'yep, same where I live!'

It's probably the top reason why folk give up the sport and sell their gear after relatively few flying hours, more so than even the weather. I'm sure the sport would expand if more predictable sites were available, I guess that's a downside of being fairly unregulated, we don't carry enough clout as a flying community to bag suitable sites for a club vibe.

Maybe like most things in life, it needs a load of money thrown at it.....

14 hours ago, steve342 said:

Well said Dan,  I dare say many of the pilots on this forum are probably thinking 'yep, same where I live!'

It's probably the top reason why folk give up the sport and sell their gear after relatively few flying hours, more so than even the weather. I'm sure the sport would expand if more predictable sites were available, I guess that's a downside of being fairly unregulated, we don't carry enough clout as a flying community to bag suitable sites for a club vibe.

Maybe like most things in life, it needs a load of money thrown at it.....

I think that it's more a case that most people are not proactively looking for a site. How many of you can say you have never tracked and contacted the landowner of a suitable field?

I tend to motivate my guys a little bit when getting to the end of training and most have a site to fly from that is not the airfield. :-)

It can feel a little odd at first when contacting people without invite so a top tip from me would be to start off by making contact with owners who are already using the land for things other than farming to make money. At least this way they will be easy to talk to as you are a potential customer rather than a salesman. Then when your feeling a bit braver roll out your plan if needed. 

You can also go for 2-3 fields and reduce the number of times you take off from each one per year (making it easy to get them) It takes a proper grumpy landowner to say no to 5-10 days a year. Of course they do exist and don't take it to heart if you do get one that says no. If at first you don't succeed....... :-)

Don't be scared to have a conversation!! If they say no 'because' of something that you feel is not a valid assumption don't just nod and agree as you walk off. It's likely that this will be your only chance so address his or her concerns there and then :-)

Try a couple of 'OK' fields / owners of first rather than your dream field. Its good to get a little practice. 

GOOD LUCK!!!!

SW :D