Beach flying again

AndyB

It`s not just newbies that have difficulties in flying sites....

I have been flying now for nearly 8 years but because of one thing or another i have flown just twice in the last six months and currently have nowhere to fly from.

I was at the top of my game last year after 7 years of doing PPG and having perfecting my flying had some epic flights............and now nothing...

It looks like i haven`t missed too much fun though as the weather recently has been abysmal which is probably why i haven`t been too bothered about finding another site just yet.

If the right piece of land came up for sale locally i`d buy it.

5 hours ago, Hann__ said:

It`s not just newbies that have difficulties in flying sites....

I have been flying now for nearly 8 years but because of one thing or another i have flown just twice in the last six months and currently have nowhere to fly from.

I was at the top of my game last year after 7 years of doing PPG and having perfecting my flying had some epic flights............and now nothing...

It looks like i haven`t missed too much fun though as the weather recently has been abysmal which is probably why i haven`t been too bothered about finding another site just yet.

If the right piece of land came up for sale locally i`d buy it.

I think for new pilots the novelty of flying PPG balances out the inconveniences that are inherent within the sport. I can remember for the first 4 years or so, I was completely transfixed by it, whenever I was in the car I was constantly assessing any location I visited by it's 'launch-ability' factor, always on the lookout for that flat piece of land, it was like an obsession. I grew a tangible hatred for over-head power lines. It was like a kind of madness.

Unfortunately though (for me) that novelty loses it's edge and those attached inconveniences start to really grate, in fact I can see a point in the not too distant future where the difficulties and challenges in practicing the sport will outweigh it's appeal. 

But here's the rub; every other sport I participate in (mountain biking, motorcycling, paddle-boarding, sex), although I'm doing it, I'm thinking about PPG, but memories from the early days. It's a bit like Heroin, you're always chasing that first high. Ho hum, maybe I'm doing it wrong 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by poz

^^^ I can definitely relate to those feelings poz, for the first few years it`s obsessive - constantly thinking about the weather, looking at fields whenever you`re out in the car, and flying at every opportunity.

To be honest the holiday from PPG i`m having at the moment is almost a weight off, the feeling that you have to fly at every possible opportunity - sometimes when you feel like you should fly if only to make use of the weather window, is sometimes a burden.

I hope i`m not getting too old for it or losing my enthusiasm for flying because that would be dissapointing, but the constant niggles at the back of my mind such as should i be looking for a site to fly from and getting knocked back and leads going nowhwere is a bit of a relief not to deal with at the moment.

As i said above, if i had my own field i`m sure i would feel completely different about it.

`Oi, get oorf moi laaaand`!

1 minute ago, Hann__ said:

^^^ I can definitely relate to those feelings poz, for the first few years it`s obsessive - constantly thinking about the weather, looking at fields whenever you`re out in the car, and flying at every opportunity.

To be honest the holiday from PPG i`m having at the moment is almost a weight off, the feeling that you have to fly at every possible opportunity - sometimes when you feel like you should fly if only to make use of the weather window, is sometimes a burden.

I hope i`m not getting too old for it or losing my enthusiasm for flying because that would be dissapointing, but the constant niggles at the back of my mind such as should i be looking for a site to fly from and getting knocked back and leads going nowhwere is a bit of a relief not to deal with at the moment.

As i said above, if i had my own field i`m sure i would feel completely different about it.

`Oi, get oorf moi laaaand`!

Still a dream to step out of my house and fly from my back garden. Now then, where'd I put that lottery ticket?