Ground Handling

Hi everyone,

Just a quick one, when is it safe for someone to do ground handling away from an instructor? I have been taught the very basics up to forward launching and reverse, however, not in to much detail, but enough to remember brakes behind the back and pulling the c's to bring it down if it gets out of control, and then moving towards it etc, but when is it safe to do it on my own in the garden? If I had someone to watch out or grab the wing if needs be? I have a harness and im averagely confident with what I need to do, I would just like to practice more to remember everything as I only train once a week..? Tonight and tomorrow the winds are calm at 5mph, hardly a noticable breeze, I think its perfect to try! Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Mike

Stick to 10 mph as max and you should be fine till your confidence builds just make sure it's not gusting higher. Pick your spot well so if you do end up getting dragged a bit you don't end up hitting something. As you get better your limits will widen.

Lee.

Its very calm at 5mph as of current.. I'm gonna sling it on my back and hike to the park I think, plenty of space if I get dragged for time to recover it and get it down, garden is big enough but there are trees bordering it if I do get dragged some distance... We'll see! Haha I'll let you know how I get on! Excited

Back!

Hmm, a little more practice is required I think, however, the wind is almost comletely gone and when it did pick up just slightly so you could feel it, I could get the wing maybe 1 or 2 ft above the ground but not keep it up... Am I doing something wrong? I felt the urge to try forward launch as I heard they are easier in nil wind, but maybe I'll try tomorrow instead... Just so everyone knows and can let me know if this is the reason I didn't get it "airbourne" ... I laid the risers out, put them together then turned them anti clockwise so when I turn, it will be the correct way, then clipped in and removed the brakes and placed them behind my back, I then created a wall so the leading edge was showing and in a horseshoe, i then took a step forwards, and one strong step back, while bringing my hands forwards in front of me with the brakes, didn't get off very high... Is this wrong? Any advice!? Haha cheers! But fun and good practice of folding it and laying it out! :)

Mike

I'm far from an expert... but I've done my share of ground handling. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wide of the mark here but you'll needs to use your A's to get it up in a reverse (and maybe the same for a forward too). I hold my leading A's (mine are split) together in my left hand and a brake in each hand. No need to step forward first with a reverse, just step back whilst pulling up with the A's. Keep walking backwards... if you stop it will drop! The brakes are in your hands for corrections or you can dab both brakes if the wing overshoots. When making corrections use the brakes close to your body, pulling close in to your sides not away out to the sides.

Personally I think you need to do a reverse in a 3-10mph wind. Anything above that will have you face surfing doggy do's!!! I forward in anything less. Personally I don't need to use my A's for a forward... but this is usually more specific to your wing type. I have a floaty easy to launch wing - a trouser cough will get it aloft!

As for where you're doing it, parks and gardens can create mixed up air (from trees, fences, nearby buildings etc) which will only make your task harder still. Regardless of wind strength I'd advise you to get out in a very open area with clean air. Also wear a helmet - even if you do look a muppet.

You'll find that once it all clicks it clicks! :D

Best of luck and I applaud your enthusiasm!

Thanks for the advice! Going to try again tonight as the wind is blowing a little stronger, up to 10 at times. When you say to leave the brakes in your hand with the A's, and pull on the A's, is it a pull towards or a lift motion? But i will try and see what happens and let you all know!

Cheers!

Mike,

It's a lifting motion with the A's as if your guiding it up into the air, and you stay on the A's till it's flying. Then you may have to apply brakes to stop it surging past you.

Once it's above you the brakes provide the corrections along with stepping under the wing.

If your unsure mate it's better to leave it till your back with your instructor and go through it with them. Everything stems from good ground handling, if you develop bad habits here it can cause you real problems later.

Cheers Lee.

It's a lifting motion with the A's as if your guiding it up into the air, and you stay on the A's till it's flying. Then you may have to apply brakes to stop it surging past you.

Once it's above you the brakes provide the corrections along with stepping under the wing.

Exactly as Lee has said... a kind of lift as you're walking back.

Best of luck

... another Lee :wink:

Thanks everyone,

I'll go out now and give it another go, if I struggle, I'll leave it until the weekend with the instructor! Makes sense though? I have A's that split, so only the inside A's will be used? I'll give it a go and maybe try forward as well, but thanks! :)

Bit more success! Chuffed for now!! :)

Using the inside A's in each hand and brakes I managed to get it above my head and then used the brakes to stop it going too far. However.. I seem to now be cartwheeling it or it is going too far to one side, only really briefly covered this so im not confident on this part anyway, but out of interest, what causes this and how to prevent it? I presume its because im not balanced with the brakes or A's? Also.. Once the wing is above my head, I drop the A's to move the brakes.. Is this correct or should I keep them in my hands? Cheers!

Mike I'm not sure what you mean by inside A's. On mine a synth I use the first set of yellow A risers.

Forget crossing the risers for now, just hook in straight with the A's facing you. Take the left brake in the left hand and right in right. Then take both A's in one hand build your wall and the lift the A's positively whilst leaning or walking back.

If your set right into wind it should come up evenly. Do it this way to start then you don't have to worry about crossed risers, right is right left is left. It's a good way to start getting the feel of how your wing moves.

Once happy with this then progress to crossed risers for a reverse launch.

You can not waste time ground handling, good handling leads to good launches and landings and best of all confidence.

Good luck with it.

Lee

Thanks,

I'll give that a go, when i say inside i mean, my A's are red and there are two, one set that goes to the tips, and the other to the middle, or inside... its a Airwave Sport M.. should of mentioned that! I will try tomorrow without crossing and see what happens, would it not be best having them in separate hands though? but i'll give it a go!!

Just a side note, although the wing to a non ocd person would be very clean as it has only 5 hours on it previously, but its getting a little dusty on the underside on the white, out of interest.. how do you clean them? damp cloth?

cheers!

You can start with A's in separate hands but you will end up with them in one as your other will have the throttle. For me it was good drills to just get used to it.

As for cleaning the wing I don't know, I like to think of my wing as well seasoned not dirty and so don't worry about it.

Thanks for saying that, I didn't dare say it myself and I still don't, but thank you to everyone that has offered me advice!!

It is going well thanks! Progress so far is...

Monday- couldn't get it in the air but practiced strapping in and laying the wing out and folding which is always good!

Tuesday- got the wing above my head using A's and all of your helpful advice but kept cartwheeling it :(

Wednesday- got the wing above my head and kept it there for a few mins, and even got lifted a few feet to bringing it back down and as happy as can be!

Thursday- same as Wednesday, but the wind was churned up by the house so as soon as it got above my head, it would twist dramatically 90 degrees and I would have to run around it, then I got dragged and thought I would leave it for today, but good practice!

Today- its a Friday and studying has made be shattered and not very concentrated, but tomorrow shows perfect weather so I'm going to the park for the day with a pack up and my brother and will give it my best shot ready for my instructor on Sunday!

Just wanna get flying! Haha today is such a calm and sunny day, would be perfect!

Cheers everyone!

PilotnoteZ .

Do you drive a car?

Was your instruction carried out over an Internet forum or by a driving instructor sat next to you?

My personal advice for Michael would be to wait for personal tuition from his instructor.

Forum advice is just that. All views from the forum should be taken with caution. And it is certainly no replacement for leaning the first stages in the field with at least a seasoned pilot to guide and correct any bad habits from the outset.

Sent from my iPhone using PMC Forum mobile app

As above with the addition...

I am not ashamed to make my living from something I love to do. :-) I am sorry that I have to charge people for that service but we all have bills.

I am also a skilled enough pilot and instructor to know that this type of advice is not best given via an internet forum. I have in fact told Michel that I would give him his training for free if he could get to Membury ( some months ago!!) which he did not accept.

I always offer 1 free course a year to someone who I feel deserves it as it happens. :-)

There are plenty of experienced pilots here who are all giving advice. Where is the problem? Or are you just moaning 'again' because you have nothing better to do?

As I have said before, if you don't like it please feel free to go else where. :-)

SW :D

Both points taken, but lets reframe from starting a debate, seen it several times on this website, its about the flying! People can help if they want or don't if they choose not too! Makes no difference! The aim is to all be a happy flying family!

Mike :)

As above with the addition...

I am not ashamed to make my living from something I love to do. :-) I am sorry that I have to charge people for that service but we all have bills.

I am also a skilled enough pilot and instructor to know that this type of advice is not best given via an internet forum. I have in fact told Michel that I would give him his training for free if he could get to Membury ( some months ago!!) which he did not accept.

I always offer 1 free course a year to someone who I feel deserves it as it happens. :-)

There are plenty of experienced pilots here who are all giving advice. Where is the problem? Or are you just moaning 'again' because you have nothing better to do?

As I have said before, if you don't like it please feel free to go else where. :-)

Simon,

I remember you teling me this and I was very grateful for your very kind offer! Unfortunately I couldn't as I still can't drive and would be tricky! I agree as advice in person is best, I was just simply wondering about some basics of ground handling! I don't wish to cause any trouble here as we should all enjoy the importance of this forum of being flying!

I suppose in a nutshell.

A month of reading tips from this forum on ground handling, would happen in a day with someone who can fly well already :-)

It's just not something that can be taught online, it's touchy feely and requires on the spot instant decision making.

This will change dependant on the weather, the wind, thermic activity, location and so on...

Someone stood by side you in the know, will have all of this information to hand. We do not.

I have had training from 2 seperate schools for a total of about 7 days training, and I would have had a terrible time of getting in the air or kiting without it, in fact I would probably have quit!

That being said, Youtube is your friend and over the last couple months I have watched at least a hundred videos multiple times, read the powered paragliding bible twice, and practiced on the ground every chance I get (my engine blew).

As mentioned there are so many videos on youtube to help you get started, and the great thing is that for ground handling you can also watch paragliding ground handling videos.

Just to get you started here is a great one for reverse launching

And here is a great one for what you can aspire to :)

And on my site I have been putting up kiting videos which might help http://tellthemisaidsomething.com/powered-paragliding/

Good luck mate, practice makes perfect!