ptwizz

Radial engine build

Another photo added - Supercharger housing.

This one is guaranteed to raise accusations of having a CNC mill hidden away in the back of my garage. All the machining was carried out on my manual mill, using an improvised profile copying device. Kiwi dropped in during the process and has seen how it's done. I'll add some photos of the process in the coming days.

On 05/06/2018 at 17:56, alan_k said:

Well done Pete on the GST, plus of course your continued work on the radial engine.

Thanks Alan. I've just completed the last couple of hours solo at the weekend, so I'll be sending off for my license this week and getting a permit on my Thruster, G-BZNP.

More photos added to the album and more progress.

The supercharger housing has been bored to the profile to fit the impeller, using a fiendishly bodged copy technique which worked rather better than expected. I have not yet bored the holes for the inlet tracts to the cylinders. The inlet tracts will be fabricated from stainless steel and I have a better chance of boring the holes to match the geometry of the fabricated parts than the other way around.

In the meantime, the supercharger parts are assembled and the SU carb hung on the front, looking like it means business.

In other news, I am now the holder of a NPPL(M) and my aircraft passed inspection. I may be gone for some time...

Edited by ptwizz

Superb work, and i admire your steadfast comittment to such a huge project, it`s all i can do to summon the enthusiasm to change my bikes` oil these days..

When do you think it`ll be ready to fire up?

Well done on the NPPL..

BTW, we have a mutual aquaintance - Bren (works in the builders merchants near you)?

Edited by Hann__

Hi Hann,

I don't consider myself patient. The engine is a hobby, so I work on it when the mood takes me and step back from it as soon as it starts to feel like work. For that reason, there is no projected date for firing up.

I see Bren quite regularly on Tuesday evenings at the Old Buckenham bike night. Very nice chap!

• Upvote 1

Another couple of photos added, showing the mechanism for engaging the high supercharger speed. A cable will pull on the long end of the curved lever, pulling the ends of the brake band together. When assembled, the brake band sits around the ring gear carrier shown in the other photo.

I had a chap come to visit last week, who is also building a radial engine. I am not the only person in the world mad enough to embark on such a project!

New photo - the first of the inlet tracts loosely assembled.

Now I need to practice Tig welding thin stainless tube a lot.

Edited by ptwizz
  • Like 2