Patrick the Canadian!

Hi all,

Been on this site since last year and learned a lot! Actually learning every day as I slowly sift though old posts and retaining as much as I can and keeping up with the daily posts.

A little point form history:

-Ex-military Policeman in the CAF (7 years)

-Re-trained as a cabinet maker at age 26

-Worked in the trade in all sorts of shops

-Got hired on as a full time Master Cabinet maker/Furniture maker in the Nation's Capitol Ottawa at Parliament Hill. Dream job.

-In my early 40's with two young boys (10 and 12) and a new partner Melodie (6 years strong)

I love to build things, go carts, dune buggys, 16' electric launch (boat) and decided on getting into this sport.

Signed up for a course (May 4th 2013) with the most well known instructor in all of Ontario with a great track record. Over 4000 powered flights.

Picked up a used, under 20 hrs, wing (Windteck Kinetek Plus) 30 meter and have been kiting it for a couple months in the Canadian snow.

After much talk with my instructor, I decided to buy my motor and chassis for my course, so I could fly MY equipment. Ended up with a RS Ultra Kangook Classic with a Vittorazi Moster 185 motor. I am 6 foot 2 inches tall and 220lbs, so the motor and wing should be ok.

In the process of getting my registration letters and doing the paperwork for Transport Canada so it's all legal to fly in 3 weeks from now.

I also picked up a Horus Helmet with the NAC Sidetone...Love it. I have a couple cables so I can use my FRS (family radio system - walkie talkie) or my aeronautical radio...an ICOM IC-A4, both of which I can hook my IPhone into and listen to tunes or make a phone call, if need be.

A few pics:

kangooklogo_zps0d34ba26.jpg

kangookclassic146_zps01c8dcf5.png

imagesCA22E7A3_zps0eaf3189.jpg

299174_252790718097267_779293459_n_zps9b88c4ab.jpg

20140226_8845_zpscbf26804.jpg

Patrick you still in Ottawa?

It will be some nice flying out in that area!

I'm also a Canadian that has got lost. I've been traveling the world for work and have ended up in Brazil. I fly or kite surf almost every weekend excluding the rainy season.

Landing in Brazil and being able to do the sports you love all year round has been really hard on me as one could imagine!!!

Looks like you have some nice kit so far. I personally like the Kangook I was looking at them before I bought the miniplane. You will enjoy many hours on that motor.

Having tunes is a must for me when flying. I moded some head phones to add some really cool sound. There is a thread here somewhere about the mod, highly recommend the modification.

Anyhow welcome aboard it’s a great sport that will make you smile every time you land no matter how stressed you were at take-off.

Cheers

Tom

Thanks guys! Yes still in Ottawa and snow is all but melted and +5 C weather finally! Hoping for nice weather during my one week of full time training in St. Catharines, Ontario. If yhings go as planned I hope to do a scenic tour of one of the modern wonders of the world...Niagara Falls.

Brasil...wow lucky you. But Canada has some amazing flying and I hope to get in a lot of air time up by my cottage up in Quebec.

Patrick

Sent from Canada on my iPhone

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Well I'm a whole three days away from starting my course. My Kangook (SN: 2408) was registered with Transport Canada with the lettering:

C-IKDT

The "C" is for Canada and "I" is the Ultra light designation...the rest they gave me...too bad because I could have chosen from a list of available registration marks for an extra fee, there were some neat ones!

I also picked up my liability-only insurance at a cost of abotu $120 Cdn. How does that compare with overseas rates?

A friend has lent my his camper van while on course which is 7 hours away near Nagara Falls, Ontario. That will save me some cashola on lodgings.

Started a small blog also for anyone interested....

http://www.treetall100.blogspot.ca/

Cheers,

Patrick

Hi all,

Well I'm a whole three days away from starting my course. My Kangook (SN: 2408) was registered with Transport Canada with the lettering:

C-IKDT

The "C" is for Canada and "I" is the Ultra light designation...the rest they gave me...too bad because I could have chosen from a list of available registration marks for an extra fee, there were some neat ones!

I also picked up my liability-only insurance at a cost of abotu $120 Cdn. How does that compare with overseas rates?

A friend has lent my his camper van while on course which is 7 hours away near Nagara Falls, Ontario. That will save me some cashola on lodgings.

Started a small blog also for anyone interested....

http://www.treetall100.blogspot.ca/

Cheers,

Patrick

Nice one, keep it coming :D

Well all is going amazingly well. Ground school done on Saturday and by 2:00pm we wrote our student pilot permits exams. Passed easily.

At 3:00 pm we hit the field and as I had been kiting for a couple months the instructor told me I was ready for my 1st solo. Wow what an experience!!! Up up and away and off I went. It was getting a little late and managed a good 15 min flight ajusting to all the new sensations.

I was guided by radio and made a easy touch down albeit I did a little 2 foot drop at the end!

As of today I have 27 flights under my belt. The last bunch were touch and go's, they actually count as a flight. 3 more flights and by Transport Canada standards I'll be good to go on my own.

Wow I imagined what it would be like but it's even better. I did have an engine out over the field because of gas but landed without a hitch and have to say all my landings have been smooth as silk. Dead tired today (leg straps in the groin tendons pain) and I had 4 forward inflations in zero wind, one after another. Ughhh I am beginning to despise foreword inflations!573363f127ce4_MeontheFusion.jpg.cebe2b6e

5733641f5d697_ImageUploadedByPMCForum136

"ajusting to all the new sensations" was it a wet one? lol

I seen the weather and hoped it would hang in there for you. I checked on the weekend and seen the zero wind and wondered how that would go lol. Yea three no winders in a row will get you.

27 wholly shit. Its amazing what a little ground handling will help out with. I did the same when I learned to paraglide. Spent a few days before training with a buddy.

Good to see you’re enjoying it.

Only tip I will give you, learn the weather. Things move and change in your area really fast.

You go back again this weekend?

The weekend here looks great! Can’t wait to go for a rip. Wanted to go to the mountains this weekend for a free flight but its mother’s day and I've been bad as of late so I need to get some credits lol

But Saturday morning I will disappear out the back door with a motor attached to the truck lol

http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=122062

You can fly a ton here in the winter.

We were supposed to get some flying in tonight but my instructor called and cancelled as a light rain was coming. Plus they were calling for 15-18 km winds from the East. When they are from the East it almost always very rough and turbulent. "Good call!" teach!! Hopefully back at it in the am.

A few more flights then another 8 hour drive home. Hopefully do a local flight sooner than later. Once home I'll still be under the guidance of my instructor for my fully solo hours. I'll just have to text him the weather conditions and local and he'll either give the go ahead or not!

Was asked to join a group of 10 paramotorists from across the river from Ottawa. I found them on a paramotor forum from Quebec, Canada, for $30/ year we have access to our own field. Gotta jump on that deal! I do have sites on my side but will be nice to have the camaraderie of others that enjoy the sport!

More to come....573363f127ce4_MeontheFusion.jpg.cebe2b6e

5733641f64595_ImageUploadedByPMCForum136

• 3 weeks later...

I'm making out extremely well!!! I had lost this site when it went off line and been a little while since I've checked in.

Well I passed my course with 31 flight total and over 5 hours of flight. Been studying the Transport Canada ultralight exam that I am going to write on the 4th of June. 3 hour exam with 80 questions in all. I'm a little nervous but I should do alright.

Have 5 flights on my own since getting back from my course. The 1st one was a little freaky in a way that I was alone and just thought about all that was taught to me by my instructor. I went to my cottage 1 hr North of where I live in Gracefield, Quebec.

It was a nil wind inflation as per usual and I was in a large field that had a slight decline (4' down over 50'long) and that helped pop up my wing in no time! I went up, up, up and never looked back. I circled my take off area to make sure all was well and then went for a nice 1 hour flight. The sights were just amazing. 6-7 lakes could be seen from about 1500' up. I can't believe I didn't do this earlier in life.

Amazing landing as usual for me, seems second nature now and love the power off glide back to earth, one of my favorite parts of flying! So calm, relaxing and breath taking all at the same time.

Have flown another 4 time since then including one out at my parents 20 acre property just outside of Ottawa and out of the control zone for the Ottawa Airport. I'll post some flight maps in another post.

The stats and map are from an iPhone app: theVariometer

I just turn it on and press record and turn off when I land...very neat little app. Sorry the pics are so big but couldn't reduce at this time. The pictures are from my parents neighbors with a telephoto zoom on their camera, because I was up about 8oo feet at the time. Not too bad camera.

Flightmap_zps1ed8b013.png

Takeoff_zps5047c5c8.png

Variousvalues_zps11372cb9.png

photo1-2_zps79fbfdc2.jpg

photo2-2_zpsecfb8c01.jpg

ahhh good for you man!!! nice to read.

Simon goes on these 7 day fly-drink fests and some time forget to pay the electricity bills lol....

Someone has to take poke at the admin once in a while lol,

But seriously good to hear your loving it. Keep it safe this is one of those sports that you need to remain humble. When you thing you know everything and have mastered everything that's the day to leave the wing in the garage.

I just spent the better part of the day fishing a "know it all" (flying for 2y) out of the ocean.... Dam near drown myself.

If I make it back to canada lets go for a fly!!!!

cheers

T

Thanks T and for sure if you`re up in this part of the world again we`ll hit the skies!!! As for being humble...TRUE DAT as my boys say! I actually had one of those moments up about 1500` and thought about the thin lines, wing fabric, motor and all the human factors that make this type of flight possible. It`s amazing yet crazy all at the same time!

Patrick (Ottawa, Canada)