Looking for help - maidstone headcorn area

Hi guys,

I live close to Headcorn airfield (~15 min.) and I really will go and do this, one of so many other dreams to live. Not enough dosh at this time to go for it fully, so, in the meantime, is someone in the area who'd be happy to introduce me to the basics, please? - Drinks and all expenses are on me :)

Cheers,

Dirk

:wingover:

And my perfect rig once all is sorted would be a 2 seater aerobatic long distance one. Must take the family out sometimes and still want challenging fun.

Suggestions for a setup are very welcome, thanks.

:acro:

Edited by Guest

Hi guys,

I live close to Headcorn airfield (~15 min.) and I really will go and do this, one of so many other dreams to live. Not enough dosh at this time to go for it fully, so, in the meantime, is someone in the area who'd be happy to introduce me to the basics, please? - Drinks and all expenses are on me :)

Cheers,

Dirk

:wingover:

And my perfect rig once all is sorted would be a 2 seater aerobatic long distance one. Must take the family out sometimes and still want challenging fun.

Suggestions for a setup are very welcome, thanks.

Heck, I found that tandem flights and aerobatics and long distance might not be done with one setup. :)

Hi Dirk.

I live in Bicknor which is only about 10 minutes from you and amongst other places fly from Detling and some local fields when they are available.

Happy for you to come along and to show you the ropes (lines!) but I'm not about today as its my birthday.

If you want to get in touch by phone tomorrow my number is 07949 988770.

Regards,

Ian

Hi Dirk.

I live in Bicknor which is only about 10 minutes from you and amongst other places fly from Detling and some local fields when they are available.

Happy for you to come along and to show you the ropes (lines!) but I'm not about today as its my birthday.

Regards,

Ian

Happy Birthday Ian :D:D

Hi Ian,

Thank you so much for your message! I am really sorry I did not come back to you earlier, but I didn't check the board for ages and also didn't receive a notification of your reply. Will have to check my settings again...

Really would love to take you up on your offer, brilliant that you live so close. Perhaps we could meet on one of the coming weekends if the weather allows? I also am home between Xmas until Jan8th, if that would work out better.

Have pm'd you my private email and mobile number, am already very excited about this opportunity, thank you.

Cheers,

Dirk

Hi Dirk.

Regards,

Ian

It can if you get the right kit but you will need two wings.

Hi Pete,

What would you suggest as an "ideal" setup, please ? I already weigh 110kg on my own... :lol:

Thanks,

kind regards,

Dirk

Personal preference and depending on cost really

I have a 46 Synth cabrio wing with a Simonini EVO powered motor.

Second hand you could use a paragliding tandem wing (needs to be suitable for use under power)

And any motor with a fair bit of thrust.

You can use a smaller motor but the more power you have the quicker you will get off the ground and climb out.

Tandem wings do not come on the second hand market much, new they are a lot of money and they dont sell very good as there is such a small market for them.

Below are some to have a look at.

Im sure others will chip in with any wings or motors that might also be out there.

Pete

Motors

simonini EVO

Parajet Rotron

Freshbreeze Monster

Polini thor 200 (new out so not to sure)

Dudek Synth cabrio

Paramania taxi

Paragliding tandems.

Ozone

Mc Daddy older one

Magnum (nice wing)

Dirk, here is a typical ad for a tandem wing over here in France:

http://www.leboncoin.fr/sports_hobbies/258416051.htm

I have also noticed that there a lot of tandem wings for sale on the classified section of Para2000:

http://www.para2000.org/wings/aad/index.html

Good luck searching,

Alan

Thanks, Alan! - Having some trouble navigating those sites, wish my French was better. :wink:

Kind regards,

Dirk

Pete,

Had a good look at all the list of goodies you described. Thanks again, really helpful.

Just wondered, what are the disadvantages of flying a tandem wing solo ? Anything I could not do with a tandem wing solo flying that would work with a "normal" wing ?

Cheers,

Dirk

:explode:

Pete,

Had a good look at all the list of goodies you described. Thanks again, really helpful.

Just wondered, what are the disadvantages of flying a tandem wing solo ? Anything I could not do with a tandem wing solo flying that would work with a "normal" wing ?

Cheers,

Dirk

:explode:

You would be under the weight range solo on a tandem so it would very lightly loaded and be susceptible to collapse

and stalling on climb out and turning.

I would not fly one solo unless I was at least in the bottom of the weight range even then I would be very gentle on the power and make long flat turns (in totally nil wind conditions only).

IF I were to only use one wing I would get a trike (licence !!! :wink: ) and load that up to get in the weight range to fly solo with the tandem wing. :D

Pete

You need to Know what you are doing and how to control things especially when you are responsible for some one else.

Get plenty of flying in and don't stop ground handling when you can fly.

You can get a motor that will do tandem but get used to the power for solo,l, just enough to do the job.