Ben nevis and the Scottish Tour

Dan - its a manfrotto monopod used backwards with the go pro mounted on the thin 'foot'.

Retracted it is about the same length as my swingarm and is velcroed to the side of the swing arm when not in use - basically can just be forgotten about, doesn't get in way at take off or landing. There is a retracting lanyard attached to the front of swing arm and fat end of monopod securing it in case I drop it etc. I did used to use a longer monopod but it was more of a pain when stored as it came out about a foot from swing arm so I find this one a good compromise between a pocket monopod which only extends 4 feet and free rotates so the gopro has to be balanced on it or slides upside down and the long 6 foot one. Extended it is about 5 feet.

Ian - I know what u mean. Though when I was flying loch earn across the mountains it was more remote. I was glad I had a personal lOcation beacon with me for emergencies