Pap 1100as solo starting problems

treehopper

Can anyone help...........

My 1100as has become more and more reluctant to start on the button, and finally whilst in Spain it let me down all together yet one pull on the cord and away it goes :?

The starter and ignition system are totally seperate so the starter is not drawing all the power. The coil was changed some time ago......... any ideas?????

Can anyone help...........

My 1100as has become more and more reluctant to start on the button, and finally whilst in Spain it let me down all together yet one pull on the cord and away it goes :?

The starter and ignition system are totally seperate so the starter is not drawing all the power. The coil was changed some time ago......... any ideas?????

starter batt U.S?

starter motor U.S?

De compressor blocked? but would be difficult on the hand start if this was the case

Hi jamie, you may find a new battery will help, the motorcycle battery that was on it was the second one I fitted, try jump starting it off another battery, if all is fine then I would look to changing the battery, I was never able to start it by hand, I did take the head off and check the decompresser but that was fine, but may need checking again as that was over a year ago.

cheers, Dave

The electric start system is totally separate to the ignition and turns the engine over fast but it will not fire up.

If you pull it over by hand it will start no problem (even though it is turning over A LOT slower.

Got me puzzled at the moment :roll:

so the battery is turning it over ok?

but it will start while being cranked slower?

hhhhmmmmm got me stumped too :shock:

Hmm, all i can think of is, because it is turning over slower, it is seeing the flywheel magnets over the mag for longer generating a bigger spark? i suppose it has been checked for spark with the plug in and the lead took to a spare plug earthed and also with the plug out of the cylinder to get a comparrison check on starter motor then the same by hand start?

once it has started it runs, but struggles to start when turning over fast.

it could need the mag re adjusting with the paper card as a feeler guage if 1 is not available.

timing slipped?

woodruff key worn allowing movement of the flywheel?

starter causing a ground loop to earth thus earthing the coil along the way on start up, this will be noted on the spark test.

lastly carb, but that seems a long shot at the mo

btw are the rings ok on the piston? not stuck in by any chance?? you will be able to tell through the exhaust port

I agree with Dave with the place to start.

I have had cars that turned over ok but the starter drains a lot of power from the battery so they would start on a push.

Try another battery and if that doesn't work have the starter motor checked.

Lets keep this simple to start with! :D

Eddie

I have had cars that turned over ok but the starter drains a lot of power from the battery so they would start on a push.

Eddie

The starter system is TOTALLY separate. it is not connected to anything other than the starter.

Eddie

re read the post and phil b above. magnetos do not require a battery within the ignition circuit, low tension is generated via some electronics within the mag and then HT is generated again within the mag then to the plug. the battery is just for the starter motor

1 other thing i forgot, check the mags earth

bendmeroundthehedge

I like it thinking outside the box :)

heres another outside the box solution

Get rid of the battery and starter and just pull the ruddy thing I seem to cope without a electric starter and think of all that lovely lost weight......

ps it also reduces the chance of FIRE :shock: ( Yes it did happen to me at 1000ft )due to all those electrics going wrong thats why I wont even consider an electrical start anymore

bendmeroundthehedge

I like it thinking outside the box :)

heres another outside the box solution

Get rid of the battery and starter and just pull the ruddy thing I seem to cope without a electric starter and think of all that lovely lost weight......

ps it also reduces the chance of FIRE :shock: ( Yes it did happen to me at 1000ft )due to all those electrics going wrong thats why I wont even consider an electrical start anymore

Due to the compression at the moment he has to start it on the ground then get in to the harness and cannot restart in flight or standing up , so it is not an ideal or safe option with out the electric start.

Even some one else pull starting it when he is standing up is very difficult.

Hi Pete,

Have you tried jump leads diectly onto the starter? Will it start then? Also, is there a spark when cranking with the starter button?

Kev

Hi Kev

Never tried starter leads as it swings over fast and for a long time on the battery anyway.

Not sure on the Spark.

Jamie try the spark pulling it and spinning it on the starter and report back please.

Well ive had that day in the workshop! and there's a lot to be said about starting with the easy stuff first. Battery was fully charged before going to Spain (so i thought) and, as everyone who was there will say, it was cranking very well, Simon actually said "sling the motor and fly using the battery". It would appear that i was getting a false reading from the battery charger, having used a different charger it has gone from cranking at warp factor 10 to warp factor 20 and starts no problem. :D but why it started so easy on the cord is still a mystery as the starter was still cranking it faster than you could ever pull start it !!!

Many thanks for all your ideas :dive:

Well ive had that day in the workshop! and there's a lot to be said about starting with the easy stuff first. Battery was fully charged before going to Spain (so i thought) and, as everyone who was there will say, it was cranking very well, Simon actually said "sling the motor and fly using the battery". It would appear that i was getting a false reading from the battery charger, having used a different charger it has gone from cranking at warp factor 10 to warp factor 20 and starts no problem. :D but why it started so easy on the cord is still a mystery as the starter was still cranking it faster than you could ever pull start it !!!

Many thanks for all your ideas :dive:

:?::shock::shock::?:?8)8):lol::roll: