spinnaker tower anyone

morgy

That was a wonderful flight The view over Portsmouth is incredible, I watched the hovercraft leave the ramp, there were ferries coming and going, sail boats and tugs. On the waterfront were two aircraft carriers, a huge submarine , the Victory, a couple of tall ships and the Spinnaker tower. A Boeing Stearman flew past and the isle of Wight and the rest of the Solent was great to see. I really recommend everyone should have a go at this flight.

PA210909.JPG.656b204325cbced48da295aca27

PA210919.JPG.aa4cb5eea6fdc6f02df4bdcf9ca

PA210944.JPG.4f40a5cb3b50f08230dbfd4ea7d

PA210952.JPG.57cffcc3f8a11ef3cdfba59e1c7

PA210959.JPG.749602bdac96fb72922c6999006

It was or it started out as perfect....Light west wind and sunny

My first take off was not very good the wing went of to the right cut engine and start again seymor sorted out my wing for me then i was off.

I flew around and over bracklesham bay doing some small wing overs and waving to my mate who ownes Bracklesham board riders who had come out to see what all the noise was... I could now see that seymor had taken off and was right behind me. So off we go!!

As we were flying along the sea front and climbing to cross chichester harbour i noticed that the wind was getting up and i wasnt going very fast but was climbing very well. I got to around 2500ft and put on full bar and idled the engine. Now making better head way i met with seymore about 800ft over Hayling Island. The wind was alot less down here so we stayed low most of the way. Untill we hit the next crossing over to south sea. Back up to 1500ft the wind was getting quite strong "are we going to make to portmouth" The smaller bit of water past in no time and we were on our way to south sea pier.

Portsmouth was now getting very close and i could see the tall ship in the harbour. I cut the corner and started to fly over the town as i climbed. It was getting very bumpy indeed 6+ to -4 on my vario not the wosrt i have had but still.. I did for a minute think of pulling the trimmers and thermaling but they were to broken up by the wind so i thought best not to as i was over a very built up area...

I managed to cut the corner and made it to the harbour mouth Time for some shots of the tower "not easy when your going up at 600ft minute then down at 400ft the next"

I could see Seymor coming up behind so waited for him

I had now been in the air for 1h20m and i now that seymor will only fly for 2h due to fuel. But i saw him crossing the haorbour mouth ??? I had loads of fuel so i thought ok of we go to our goal of lea on solent. I mangaed to croos all the way over to i think it's called "gillkicker point" When i noticed that seymor had turned around and so going up like a rocket near the tower! :dive:

It took us 1h40m to get there and just 25 mins to get back to the landing field!!!!! :)

• 6 years later...
On 10/20/2010 at 17:05, morgy said:

Hi

Just a heads up as me and seymore are planning on flying to or near the spinnaker tower thursday...

We hope to fly out of one of my fields near my house

Sorry if its short notice but its looking good weather :lol:

Hi Morgy, do you still fly in this area? I live quite close to Portsmouth and I would love to join a similar team flight if there will be any in this season. I wonder if there are any watch-outs on Thorney Island. Any flying activities there besides RC models?

Yes we still fly around chichester..  Thorney is a no go area due to the microlight club and there Circuits.. Also Langstone harbour is a no Go!! Get your self an air map for all the no go areas.. ALL of inland water around chichester harbour are AONB so no low flying 

On 2/19/2017 at 10:10, morgy said:

Yes we still fly around chichester..  Thorney is a no go area due to the microlight club and there Circuits.. Also Langstone harbour is a no Go!! Get your self an air map for all the no go areas.. ALL of inland water around chichester harbour are AONB so no low flying 

Yes, I have a flight map and saw the small circle around Thorney, so I understand it is just the nearest environment of the airfield, not any bigger than that. Also see the big duck symbol at Langstone, will avoid that. Let me send you my number in a PM, I`d appreciate if you could drop me a short note when preparing for a weekend flight in the area. Thanks.