Landings - synthesis wing

I had my landings nailed with my wing and walkerjet (low fixed hangpoint), but now i have changed to a fresh breeze monster (mid hang point comfort bar) my landings seem very fast and am worried about falling over as it is bound to happen at some point if i stumble. Any advice? i have started to round out about 10 ft then balance the amount of brake with the height above the ground until i hit it at full brake

any ideas??

Trims on full slow?

Round out at about 1 metre, keep level while you bleed the speed off then brake to almost a standstill.

It does work but needs finesse with the brake control. Needless to say it doesn't always go to plan :?

Cheers,

Alan

Well the wing loading hasn't really changed so it can only really be psychological. You should actually be finding that you have better flare authority... unless you have extended your brake handles to the lower dot and through both pulleys... have you done this? If so, put it back!

I'm thinking the mid hang point wants brake settings as the low hang point settings, or just slightly longer, but not through both pulleys.

The high hang points on the FB are High and warrant going through both pulleys, but I would think the mids are closer to low than high :?

Cheers,

Alan

There are 2 things wrong here... as Alan says if you are using the correct upper brake dot then you should not be routing the lines through both pulleys. You are effectively flying with both brakes partly applied in this configuration.

Secondly, the Synthesis lands like a mushy old DHV1 paraglider when on full slow trim. Use 0 trim as a minimum. I used to use a fair amount of fast trim even on no wind days on the Synth (and still do on the Plasma and Nucleon) because this gives you more energy to flare with. The extra energy can be bled off nicely with a properly timed flare for a near stationary landing even on the fastest wings. For starters stick with the manual recommendation of zero trim and make sure your hands have been held up nice and high before commencing the flare.

So in summary, you are making the wing mushy and holding on part brake all the time so you are left with very little energy to convert to lift to reduce your sink rate on touchdown. I am 100% sure these 2 things are the source of your problem.

ill give it a try, the brakes are on the lower marking and routed through the second pulley, even in flight it pulls up to the pulley but the brake does not seem to be engaged, just the slack taken up.

I have analysed my last few landings and i start with my hands right up (next to the second pulley) so my biceps are horizontal to the ground, then at about 10ft i pull a little brake to swing me forward, then wait until just before touchdown and slowly pull more and more brake keeping me just off the ground until i have full brake/touchdown. perhaps i should do the last bit faster for a more aggressive stop? or will it swing me up and drop me on my arse?

the 'mid' hangpoint is definitely the same as a high on my brake settings

. perhaps i should do the last bit faster for a more aggressive stop? or will it swing me up and drop me on my arse?

It's all a question of judging how much energy is left in the wing for that final flare. Practice (or repetition) makes perfect.

As a comparison for hang points, on my last flight I checked the height of the hook in points for the FB J bar set up. The riser loops are at the same height as the top of my ears, if that's any help :)

Cheers,

Alan

I fly FB J bar set up on high hang point position (lower brake line dot and both pulleys) but comfort bar set up on low hang point position (higher brake line dot and upper pulley only). I find doing what you are doing (flying cb with high set up) means you don't get the last bit of brake travel you really need for a decent flare.

if i move back to the top pulley im not sure that i will be able to reach them, ill look next time im up (sat by the look of the weather), i think the loops are at my ear height too, but i will check, thanks guys

oh, and by final flare does that mean that i should have a big pull on the brakes after gradually bringing them down to bleed off the speed and stay just above the ground?

after looking at this (and laughing, then watching again and again :shock::lol: ) im wondering if my gradual smooth application is also at fault and i need to do as the guy in the video did but a lot lower, :D as in small tug, settle big flare

Hi Bignos,

As Fanman and others have said

motor off

hands right up until you get as low as 10ft.

at this point I take one wrap whilst holding 10ft altitude to bleed off the speed.

when I begin dropping again bury the brakes as hard as possible ( assuming nil wind ) the wrap will give you a stronger flare.

if there is wind, you will need a smaller final flare.

else you will go back up and it will be a bad landing

hope to see you and your new rig. Any pictures ?

Simon

Simon, ill fly down and see you lot, can i camp in the field?

The monster is excellent, a beauty to behold with power to spare....

may i point out my MASSIVE MOWED field in the background (thats a view each way, not one direction!!)...... :D

P1050412.jpg.3c53023cf9558c86d4fb282043b

P1050416.jpg.1f0aeb48689830b5217cf27a5bd

personally im a face planter rather than an arse scraper on my landings...as you can see on my video in the videos section!

for those of you who thought i was religious and kissing the ground when i landed...im not!...not enough flare and my legs couldnt keep up with the groundspeed! oops!

If you go to the 2 prop version do you buy 2 new props or just another one of what you already have? What I'm getting at is does the single prop use a greater pitch than the doubleprop? If the single prop is just a double prop with one prop removed then it will rev higher but that isn't a problem with the FB machines as they detune and lower the max rpm from standard anyway for noise, economy and reliability reasons.

its a different reduction ration and two of the same props with longer bolts and offset to each other. The props are the same as the single prop version. The two prop version is really for tandem, but i might upgrade when i stop falling over when i land!!