Problems with electric start solo 210

hadders

Hi Guys,

Just a newbie with a new engine.

Yesterday tried starting a Solo 210 until the electric starter went flat. ( great spark new plug)

Now recharged battery so checked spark very good so this time started the engine with the pull start. Once warm will start first pull. HOWEVER the engine will not start with the elctric starter. I have tried two fully charged batteries one from my microlight and heavier engine electric start. Great spark but no fire!

Any ideas :(

Engine not flown just still running in.

Thanks

David

Take the plug out and make sure that you have a good spark when turning it over with the electric start.

Best to take the prop off first for safety reasons.

Pete, mine with a fully charged battery would not turn over without the prop being on.

First four words?? :D:D

Take the plug out and make sure that you have a good spark when turning it over with the electric start.

Best to take the prop off first for safety reasons.

Pete, mine with a fully charged battery would not turn over without the prop being on.

First four words?? :D:D

oh yeah :oops::oops::D

Guys Thanks for replies but as per original message

I have a good spark and checked with with plug out. Both manuual and withe ES

The engine turns over very quickly on electric start but will not run

If I use pull start it fires straight away, therefore not a fuel issue.

Therefore the engine is good, I have a good spark, and a strong fresh battrery to test (2) can anyone shed any light on this anomoly.

Thanks

Hadders

This may sound odd.

BUT, We found this on a Paramotor yesterday that many people had looked at in the past trying to solve the no starting problem.....

Someone had replaced the starting motor, with one that span the opposite way!!! so the engine was turning over backwards....

Hand started, 1st time...

Electric start... spinning backwards!!!

Chances are slim to nil of course.. unless the starter has been changed!!

SW :D

Hummm, Are you sure its that simple?

I though the spline was 'sided' so when it spins the gear slides out, if its spinning the other way, it will be trying to slide in. (wont it? )

Simons 'fix' is easy to check, just see which way the prop turns on the starter and by the pull start!.

I cannot help with Paramotor engines specifically but on cars I have had problems (in the old days!) Where the starter was pulling too much current and reducing the strength of the spark and so the only way to start the car would be to push it!

As you have 2 batteries, run the starter from a seperate battery and see if that leads us in the right direction.

Eddie

Hummm, Are you sure its that simple?

I though the spline was 'sided' so when it spins the gear slides out, if its spinning the other way, it will be trying to slide in. (wont it? )

Correct Simon. I wasn't sure what the 'meshing' arrangement was. The motor will go the other way though, but it certainly won't spin th'engine.

Cheers,

Alan

You say new engine? Complete set up or have you added your own prop etc.? Could do with more info, but here's some thoughts.

Has it the HEIS (high energy ignition system)? If so, you get a decent spark at approx 100 rpm. If not, it will take approx 500+rpm for a decent spark. If you are running a composite prop with the latter, the starter motor will struggle to give the engine enough inertia to fire. That system works better with a wooden prop.

Check the drive belt is tight enough.

I think the Solo210 starter is FIEM, 16552, cw rotation.

Hope some of this info helps.

Kev