Snowdon

bignos

I walked to the top a few weeks ago. Set off from the car park and the weather was slightly overcast with a light breeze. Half way up the heavens opened and the wind must have been 30-40mph. I was glad I was on my feet and not in the air!

If the conditions were right, I'm sure it would be a great flight and there is a small plateau to land on close to the top. But I would only do it in nil winds with a very good forecast. Not sure if it is possible to do without looking at an air map. It's close to RAF Valley!!!! :shock:

Hi Bignos!

I flew to the top of Snowdon on a SAR training sortie as part of my SAR Training Unit short course. It's quality although the only available landing area is (from memory) smallish. It might also be national trust who might liketo beasked... Don't forget there's the mountain railway there as well as walkers, plus the odd RAF Helo hanging around! It might be worth contacting Valley (see ' fast jets ' in ' safety matters ' for details) to deconflict. Ifyou do get up there, please take some pics of the steam trains for my little boy (what a great excuse!! :wink: ) to look at!

The countryside on the 'non tourist' side is absolutely beautiful as well.

Have a quality flight mate.

Tj

funnily enough I am running an expedition to paraglide from the summit of Mt Blanc next year. We have our first mountain course starting Dec 5th in Snowdonia. I was planning a quick flight to the top pending weather just because I can.

Will get some photos from the run up if you like

funnily enough I am running an expedition to paraglide from the summit of Mt Blanc next year. We have our first mountain course starting Dec 5th in Snowdonia. I was planning a quick flight to the top pending weather just because I can.
That does sound like an epic adventure Rob.

So am sorry if this seems a dumb question :oops:

For those of us unenlightened folks, is a significant part of the fun of PG around the climb and launch from the summit?

As it just seems a lot of hard work and time, when you can fly up and over the summit with your PPG.

Will get some photos from the run up if you like
Yes please - I would certainly love to see those pictures...

Andy

well you are correct, not sure if you followed my French exploits this summer (its on here somewhere)

I actually took my Bailey to Chamonix valley to do that very thing, I was only halted by the lift police for taking a petrol engine on the Gondola to launch & 6000ft. Looking across at Mt Blanc I decided it would be fun to climb it. Sadly I know nothing about climbing so I have now found a mountain guide whom will teach us.

New Year new skills to learn, cant wait.

well you are correct, not sure if you followed my French exploits this summer (its on here somewhere)

I actually took my Bailey to Chamonix valley to do that very thing, I was only halted by the lift police for taking a petrol engine on the Gondola to launch & 6000ft.

No - but will certainly check it out.
Looking across at Mt Blanc I decided it would be fun to climb it. Sadly I know nothing about climbing so I have now found a mountain guide whom will teach us.
8) That is certainly a great challenge!
New Year new skills to learn, cant wait.
I hope you are intending to keep a blog to share your experiences around the preparation and ultimately the climb and PG flight. Hint :wink:

Cheers,

Andy

Hey..... Ive got loads of photos flying over Snowdon ! I do it all the time ! Seriously.........

and Ive got photos to prove it :roll: ( good they are too if I say so myself )

but to post them here is such a hassle.....

why carnt I click on add picture.....and then it lets me pick one from my photos in windows

the irish paramotor site lets me do this... :D ....why carnt this one :?:

It could not be any simpler to post a picture here.

Reply to this message, scroll down the screen that you get to when reply has been clicked.

Click, 'browse' This will browse your PC as normal

Then click 'add the file'.

How in any was is that hard?

SW :D

any beach there is loads of them ..Dinas dinlle is a really good one. + you have all the north coast beaches at low tide...just watch the air traffic from Caernarfon airport....not a lot usually take it from me any wind is a bad wind... it can get be very scary even when its calm on the ground its usually blowin up there :? Once or twice Ive asked myself why am I doing this :!:

yet I still go back :?: why I dont know

best breeze if any is from the south west to the north if coming from the beaches....as for landing out......your so high you will glide for miles and miles I switched off once and nearly made it back to Caernarfon....and in the microlight I can make it back to the airport....

Hey..... Ive got loads of photos flying over Snowdon ! I do it all the time ! Seriously.........

and Ive got photos to prove it :roll: ( good they are too if I say so myself )

but to post them here is such a hassle.....

why carnt I click on add picture.....and then it lets me pick one from my photos in windows

the irish paramotor site lets me do this... :D ....why carnt this one :?:

Here you go Gary. I noticed that you replied to my post last night with some photo links, but then deleted the post before I could reply with embedded image.

Anyway here is one of your Snowdon photos.

Great picture - but looks bl@@dy cold ! :shock::shock::shock:

phoca_thumb_l_snowden1%20large.jpg

Andy :D

• 1 month later...