New Toy

bendmeroundthehedge

I finally decided to buy a brand new motor. At the moment I am using a mini 2 with 130 prop. It gets me and my lardy arse up and away without the marathon run. I am almost settled on a Fly Products Gold mini2. Not sure whether to go for the 115 or 130?

Any info regarding the pros and cons of this machine will be much appreciated

( before I hand over my hard earned cash)

kev

Hi Kev

Spoiling yourself eh ? Some people prefer the smaller props and say they produce less torque effect. I've flown 125 on my old 200 cc unit and stepped up to 130 prop on my current one. Both units are about 27 hp but the 130 prop gives better thrust and economy from my experience.

Dave

Is the 130 going to be slightly quieter :?: With a slower revolving prop :?:

I'm always keen to minimise the annoyance factor with folks that aren't keen on 'unwelcome' intrusion into their otherwise boring lives, I think you can probably understand this. As a pilot I am more keen to see who or what is flying rather than be bothered about the noise, but most people are not like this. :)

Alan

I dont have all the answers Alan, but I happened to stumble upon the right balance of thrust and economy. If you turn a 3 blade prop slower at level cruise it does seem quieter, but a 2 blade with more pitch, on the same 3 to 1 reduction seems to have more punch. I lent a 3 blade to a guy with a 2.6 to 1 reduction and a milder tuned simmo 200 and his motor wouldn't rev to more than 3800 revs. That was quiet but wouldn't get him airborn. 3.1 to 1 lets the engine rev to near 8000 and does the biz for fast climbs and easy takeoffs but you do here the engine over the prop noise. Good silencer might help. Or you can gear the engine to rev lower but then you loose the punch. Hope this helps.

Dave

I fly with a guy who has a Fresh Breeze Monster with the double crossed prop which he uses for tandem and solo flight. Even quieter than my instructors Bailey 4 stroke, massive thrust and good economy. The engine is so quiet that my instructor and I could talk while standing in the thrust without having to shout!

Designed and tested by the Germans to meet their stringent noise regulations.

Ian.