Wet wing.

So i have been desperately trying to ground handle over the last few days whenever i can in preperation for my first flight, but the weather has been shocking!

I did a little session the other day and the ground was still damp from the night before. When i packed my wing away, i noticed it felt damp and so was a bit uneasy about packing it up.

Whats the best thing to do in this situation? Any tips on how to dry it without using 10 washing lines? Will it being wet damage the wing?

I have left it packed up in the bag for a couple of days now and want to get it back out in the air asap.

Cheers in advance,

Josh.

Try not to leave it for a couple of days. I usually put it loosely bunched up on the spare bed and turn it occasionally as Dave does.

If the wing is really wet then I have a 9 metre curtain track stretching the length of the garage and I suspend it from that, with the trailing edge clipped to some of the line attachment points with some soft faced clothes pegs.

Cheers,

Alan

i agree with lady b .never ever put damp wing back. without first drying wing out at home e.g in a room .wing spread out and turn wing over to air it until dry and crisp agian.if kept damp wing will age much more and can shorten lines.then youll have to have wing checked out for airworthyness via THE LOFT orAIRFIX.

Is there any reason why people choose to dry the wing in the house? Why not a garage?

Probably being dumb but hey-ho.[/q garages arnt the best place to dry a wing out. a house is much dryer.and no damp. where do you store your wing?

In our home fuel, oil, decorating bits etc and other possible wing staining or damaging stuff never make it to the bedroom or lounge, so less risk of accidental damage.

The occasional lounge re pack session, affords the opportunity of an extra thorough examination of wing, lines, risers etc and removal of any unwanted bugs or bits that have remained. This does not, of course, take the place of a pre flight check.

If your misses has some of those trouser/skirt hangers with the clamps at the bottom, you can use them. You will need atleast 5 and a line to hang on. Clip them every meter or so along the back edge or in a bit if you height restricted, that way you can hang your wing even on a rotary line. Up the stairs, in the doorway. etc

Our cats sleep on the couch........and they still would even if a paraglider was there :o just imagine that claws out stretch in the morning.........Ive just bought a Skywalk stuff sack,,,,,and its got huge mesh panels in it just for drying the wing out ....the idea is you hang it up .....in the house or garage .......and let the air do its work......

I tend to store my wing in the garage and would also use that to dry it out as I don't think I've got enough room in the house.

I'm hoping the fact that my garage has a caverty wall means that it won't be as damp as those with a single wall.

Does that sound OK, or do I need to bring it in the house? Sure the constant variations in temperature within the house isn't good for storage whereas the garage probably keeps a more constant temperature?

It always worries me when I start to read these types of posts. Being that this is my first wing and have had no long term experience in the correct procedures, I often question whether I'm doing the right thing.

I tend to store my wing in the garage and would also use that to dry it out as I don't think I've got enough room in the house.

I'm hoping the fact that my garage has a caverty wall means that it won't be as damp as those with a single wall.

Does that sound OK, or do I need to bring it in the house? Sure the constant variations in temperature within the house isn't good for storage whereas the garage probably keeps a more constant temperature?

It always worries me when I start to read these types of posts. Being that this is my first wing and have had no long term experience in the correct procedures, I often question whether I'm doing the right thing.

At the end of the day you store it in as dry a place that you can find, Just keep it aired well

Pete b