Flying Cars

I like how you can pull the little lever and transfer it in to fly mode...

I wonder who did do it first though? that website only went live on the 2nd of July 2009.

The wing looks old though.

SW :D

Is that a solid bar up to and accross the leading edge to hold the wing in place?

If so, that's a clever way to save a bit of wear and tear on the wing, make sure it inflates centrally and significantly reduce the chance of collapses.

Am I the only one thinking that the ITEC site should actually be the IPTEC site?

Ian.

If you look carefully on the videos section you can see that there is a full length batten across the leading edge and the wing is hoisted up to the top of the solid pole before take off.

No inflation required, also keeps the wing out of the prop at all times. I wonder what the drawbacks are if any :?:

Agree with you about IPTEC.

Alan

Hummmm,

that makes me wonder how long it takes to set up the wing as well. ?

The Sky car had some problems with the wing when it did not come up centered, but that looks a little like putting up a tent or something as time consuming... (at a guess) Or its fitted to the wing all the time, in which case loads of space is needed and it looses is road 'ness' if it cant carry it's own wing.

SW :D

If you go to the various connected web sites, you can find that it was tested in '08.

It does look agricultural, but then it IS. It is being used in jungle terrain to provide emergency medical relief and medivac facilities for locals who need hospitalisation, with only very short strips. It has to endure some very harsh environments, so cosmetics come way down the list.

The wing is pre erected in order to make the t/o run as short as possible, so they can get up out of jungle clearings etc.

I think it is massively impressive that a company have actually applied the technology in a fantastic humanitarian way. :D

• 2 weeks later...
The wing is pre erected in order to make the t/o run as short as possible, so they can get up out of jungle clearings etc.

I have a feeling it is also pre erected in order to allow an individual with no flying experience take off and land safely. If you see one of the videos on that page, one of the requirements of the design was for someone with no flying experience to be able to fly it.

Cheers. JC

Watched the video, it is fab isn't it? As Phil says it is the solution to a locally perceived problem, not a speculative venture. You don't need to be able to fly to fly it. Hmmm, how about navigate, communicate and understand wind effects and the massive CBs they have out there. It would be a brave passenger who flew with....

humour.jpg

Watched the video, it is fab isn't it? As Phil says it is the solution to a locally perceived problem, not a speculative venture. You don't need to be able to fly to fly it. Hmmm, how about navigate, communicate and understand wind effects and the massive CBs they have out there. It would be a brave passenger who flew with....

humour.jpg

Hey Norman; we didn't understand any of all that stuff and we got to J-O-Groats from Lands End. :wink: How difficult can it be. :D