Weather Forecast Sources

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to ask everyone what websites they use to get weather forecasts from??

At the moment I tend to use Metcheck and more recently the Metoffice but I am finding that the forecasts are vastly different. For example, today Metcheck says the wind will be 4mph with gusts of 5mph. However, Metoffice say winds of 6mph with gusts of 17mph.

Which is the most accurate?? What should I base my decision on??

Any thoughts and insights would be greatly received. Thanks.

I pay a subscription to www.wendywindblows.com. Not a forecast but gives useful realtime wind and other information as well as trends over the last few hours. The stations have been put up at known PG and wind related sports sites.

I find that I use a combination of xcweather, metcheck and wendy and this usually gives me all the info I need to decide whether it's PG or PPG and if PG, which site is likely to be working the best.

The met office balloon forecasts are excellent for paramotoring, my favourite for clear synoptics is http://www2.wetter3.de/fax.html and as already mentioned xcweather is great for live observation, the minor drawback with xcweather for a forecast is due to the prediction model:

the forecast will not be able to fully model topographical effects at the scales depicted. This means that in coastal areas localised effects such as sea breezes will not be fully incorporated into the prediction and that wind speeds in elevated areas will be given as if taken at a height of 10 meters above sea level. Also beware that the forecast gives average wind speed but you may well experience significantly higher gust speeds.

You can't go wrong by watching the synoptics and then confirming the data by referencing all the nice pictures from metcheck, metoffice, xcweather etc.

Subscribe (for free) to Simon Keeling's weekend aviation updates on http://www.weatherweb.net/aviation.htm as he often includes a more indepth analysis of weather patterns and deciphers the tephigrams so you can learn as you go along.

Thanks guys for all your replies, much appreciated.

Have signed up for free membership at the MetOffice, blimey!! Those maps are quite complex :shock: , not sure I totally understand much of what it is supposed to be telling me :? ..... Still, no doubt we all have to start somewhere.

Will look at getting a paid-up membership at one of the others as well once I have worked out what I'm looking at....

i tend to use three or four and if there is a variation in it i will leave the flyin alone i dont think it matters how educated they are with the weather, i get the feelin they just dont know everything so if somethin looks not right then i stay home

Forecasts are surely an opinion based on data, that opinion will vary between forecasters of course. Take any ten forcasters and you might get eleven opinions. LOL Just take the mean from most of the good ones and you won't be far off.

On the day local effects can make a good area forecast seem flawed.

2004-01-28.gif

• 1 year later...
So what's the verdict on XCWeather vs. WeatherPro?

The former tells me 2 mph on Friday, gusting 3. The latter says 10 mph gusting 18. Quite a variation.

I know which one I want to believe.

In the end WeatherPro won hands-down. It was v gusty on Friday, but managed quite a fun 30 min flight to cloud level nevertheless!

Long live Weather Pro! :-) Horraaa..

I find it extremely accurate indeed. ( And I look about twice a day every day. ) Sometimes it will throw a wobble and get things wrong.

This is the website for those who dont have the iPhone. http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/ although its not displayed in as simple a way.

SW :D