Sponsors for motors or own motors?

All,

I am faced with a question that I am un able to answer myself.

I have had two offers of 'support' for the Aus 2010 trip from Paramotor manufactures the exact level of support is yet to be defined.

At this point we have a choice, do we a) take our own motors and spares? or b) close a deal with a sponsor for motors and spares?

I am just after some thoughts.

SW :D

Motors fully sponsored with full spares (ie if they ain't no good when they come back then that's tough) to me that is what sponsorship is.

Reliability and fuel economy will play a big part in which one is used.

Failing this then you will have to ask the pilots if they are prepared to use their own machines including spares?

Pete b

Motors fully sponsored with full spares (ie if they ain't no good when they come back then that's tough) to me that is what sponsorship is.

Reliability and fuel economy will play a big part in which one is used.

Failing this then you will have to ask the pilots if they are prepared to use their own machines including spares?

Pete b

Have to agree. Reliability and economy would be the prime consideration for me if I was going to fly across Australia.

Like me to try pulling a few strings and see if my mate would trump up something for you?

Dave

I am not that bothered about the economy side,

I think 2 hour ish stints in the air works well for me.

This Aus trip is not a race, in fact if we find somewhere nice on route we may even stay there a day or two to do some filming. So the capacity for long hours in the air is not a requirement for this trip.

Another reason is that we will be ahead of the ground crew by an unsafe margin if we stay in the air for too long at a time.

A 90 min flight across mauritania (dusty roads like Aus) ment for a 1-hour wait for the ground crew when I landed just about evey time. (which is already to long on your own in the middle of nowhere if you have a broken leg or get bitten by a beasty.)

I hadn't thought of it like that, I must admit. Never had groundcrew to consider, apart from getting the kit out of the van, 25 miles from home, and demanding that Sophie drive the van. Now you mention it, not many of my flights are longer than 1 1/2 hours and am frequently landing with half a tank of fuel left.

I can see that it's a tactical mission, rather than a race. More interesting probably. Great excercise for comparing equipment. I dont really flog em now but I still back a good horse. If you want me to see if I can get a freeby, let me know. It could be raffled as a prize to some lucky Australian after and some of the money for the charity pot?

This Aus trip is not a race, in fact if we find somewhere nice on route we may even stay there a day or two to do some filming. So the capacity for long hours in the air is not a requirement for this trip.

Another reason is that we will be ahead of the ground crew by an unsafe margin if we stay in the air for too long at a time.

A 90 min flight across mauritania (dusty roads like Aus) ment for a 1-hour wait for the ground crew when I landed just about evey time. (which is already to long on your own in the middle of nowhere if you have a broken leg or get bitten by a beasty.)

Am I missing something here? I've always assumed you chosen somewhere with loads of sunshine as this would be the power source? It must me easier to get sponsors if you are setting/following the trend of green-ish environmentally friendly projects. So something that has batteries that work long enough (and are safe) it the heat would be key.

Cheers

Paul

This trip will be approx 2000 miles flown (including zig zag and up and down) at 20mph is approx 100 hours of flying. That equates to an engine rebuild. Do we want to subject our own kit to that?

Although endurance may not be a key point on this trip (staying close to support vehicles for safety) however carrying enough fuel to get back to, or close to a support vehicle that is stuck in the sand somewhere might be a good plan.

For example military aircrtaft mid air refuel, the receiving aircraft will always have enough fuel to land somewhere in case it fails to contact its tanker.

Just a thought

Whitters

I know if i had the chance to be a pilot in the tip to tip i would be happy to use my motor and bring my own spare's.. This is a trip of a life time and those who are involved should be proud to just be apart you will never get the chance to fly across AUS with a back up crew ever again... :lol::lol:

All motors need to be the same so that the spares support is streamlined to the point where it can be effective and compact enough not to overburden the available vehicle capacity. Utility above almost everything, repairability highly desirable if you want to avoid carry the dead weight of a dead motor.

A 'local' dealer for spares and support unless you cache a returnable spares heap in a strategic location if that is deemed sensible. Get the right motor and the thing should hack it without too many problems - worth researching what has taken higher than average ambient temperatures (though if you chose the right time to go that shouldn't be a big issue) and sustained operation in typical field conditions (sand/rock), proven kit in other words.

Something steel that can be welded on a farm, something Simmo'?

Logical Mr Spock?

If I were invited to go? Alas my ttpto - time to prepare take off - , is so long, I haven't been invited, but if I were.

there would be only one engine for me a 4 stroke!

its all about endurance over hostile conditions, and reliability. The ability to got 50% further on the same fuel load, plus machinery running far from their operating tolerenaces, would seal the deal for me.

no doubt will be very helpful when you get into hopping over mountains / ranges :?

good luck

I would go four stroke as well... Even if the motor supplyer gives them the motor and the pilots pay for there own props etc. I am sure they would only charge you for the parts you used and return the rest.

But in the end it is up to the pilots and the sponsor how they want to go about it...