Pmc flyin September

geoffw

The Cornwall flyin will take some beating for the location  was perfect, as was the coastal  flying amazing.  But this place looks pretty good,  location by the  river, fireworks,  beertent ,weather looking OK,   yep looking good, see you there geoffw

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What a stunning flyin, so much thanks to Simon and crew for putting it on.

1. Excellent location (quite local to Geoff and myself for a change)

2. Excellent company, fab to see faces old and new. Plus the usual craic and aviation banter.

3. Excellent weather, flyable every day.

4. Absolutely stunning fireworks display on Saturday evening, even more thanks to Simon and Casey for helping out.

We setup next to the tape so had a ringside view of events. A shot from Friday:

IMG-20210918-WA0000.thumb.jpg.c15853c33b1b2c4d7c7a179d61c13be6.jpg

Showing some lovely ladies and unfortunately one old fart.

Having the location next to the river (I originally thought it was the Severn but realised it was the Avon) I had bought a cheap dingy the week before. A shot of it being launched:

IMG-20210919-WA0000.thumb.jpg.543bd95ccdeaf8c7e94e864732a1149a.jpg

Just had a short time on the river, going around in circles for a little while. A narrow boat was coming the other way and Geoff and myself were wondering what side we should be on, turns out it is the same as for aviation, pass to the right. Geoff is not shy in coming forward so asked if we could have a tow,the answer was affermative so we had a tow back to the launch point. Lots of fun.

After our first flight on Friday, the inevitable post flight beer, lovely:

IMG-20210919-WA0001.thumb.jpg.228df49c54f611e01f1b8c2a6af9bd0d.jpg

A new member to our midlands posse is Damian, now on around 10 flights since training some while ago. His enthusiasm is quite infectious and to be honest he is making it look quite easy under Geoff's excellent tutelage. Damian coming in to land:

IMG-20210919-WA0006.thumb.jpg.c25ee82980673f9d3d8adc6def222e15.jpg

Talking of landing, I had a little cock-up coming in to land on Sunday morning. The though process was to come in low over the fence so I wouldn't have too much of a walk back across the field. I cut the motor before the fence then hit sinking air, then had a sh!t me moment when I realised I wouldn't make it over the fence, I yanked hard on the left brake and had an 'arrival' in the adjacent field. Good thing it was quite soft. (EDIT On reflection it wasn't sinking air, it was pilot error. I cut the engine when still on a little power and too soon, resulting in a more dynamic descent. Oops!)

Fortunately nothing was damaged, many thanks to those that lined the fence to make sure I was OK, I was on the radio affirming the same before I took off the headset to let them know everything was OK. A take off from the same field got me airbourne again and blow me the floaty air second time around had me half way across the field on the proper landing.

A great time was had by all, plus a lovely photo posted on Facebook which i will finish with:

1533984178_PreparingforTO.thumb.jpg.cb6e3d1c7e11965fa6d480512d75677a.jpg

Probably my best side.

Edited by alan_k
Analysis of landing incident.
  • Like 4

What a fantastic pmc flyin, 1st thing thanks to Simon and his team, for planning it all ,the location was great flying up the Avon River and beyond very nice , and the weather was hot 🔥.fish and chip, beer tent and bar, burger van, fireworks display was epic, to think we had all those fireworks just for us ,if you know what I mean nice one Simon. And meeting club members and fellow flyers just brilliant .10 out of 10....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1