Hi from Bath

Hi, another newbie here. I live on the edge of Bath, Somerset and having spent many summer evenings watching Paramotoring in the fields and valley behind us, I have finally built up the courage to get trained up myself. I’ve booked in with Simon Westmore and am hoping to start next month. Really excited to hopefully be taking to the skies soon! 😎

• Like 1

It can be expensive, noisy, smelly, heavy, scary and the weather window can be infuriatingly narrow but, if you are lucky you will be one of those who just cant help but shoulder the pain in the ass the sport can be to get your hands on those moments that make it all worthwhile.
There is nothing like it!

The hardest part is deciding to "do it" rather than "watching" :)  

9 hours ago, Blackburn Mark said:

It can be expensive, noisy, smelly, heavy, scary and the weather window can be infuriatingly narrow but, if you are lucky you will be one of those who just cant help but shoulder the pain in the ass the sport can be to get your hands on those moments that make it all worthwhile.

Hi Mark,

Just how heavy does it feel? I currently fly a trike having failed to manage the weight 20 years ago when the paramotor had a solo 210 engine and J bars hang points just by my ears which I found made it very hard to get the canopy inflated on a forward launch.

I remember standing up with the machine on my back and nearly fell over backwards because it was so heavy. I know some machines weigh as little as 20Kg but how does it feel to run with that on your back?

I ask because I would like to consider giving it another go.

Thanks, Guy 

2 hours ago, Guy J said:

Just how heavy does it feel?

I fly a Baileys V2 so HEAVY... I used to have a Solo 210 20 years ago, that was pretty heavy too.

I just built a trike a couple of months ago... I had no choice, getting old, 23m wing, heavy gutless motor and a refusal to pay large cash on any of the shiny lightweight thirsty two-strokes.

I can now get off in nil winds again but it still takes a pretty long roll to get airborne :) 
Trikes are a bit "grandad" but they have their advantages!

hmmmm, maybe I'm ok as I am. At 65 going on 66 I'm no sportsman, but I was tempted by the Dudek V King and just how easy it was to get in the air.

Long grass on my flying field has stopped me from flying for much of the summer and I had thought that maybe footlaunch would get me off the ground a little more often. Maybe I need to spend a day with Simon.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Guy

1 hour ago, Guy J said:

Dudek V King

I have heard they launch very easily but i take most of what i hear with a pinch of salt.
In principle, with being a single skin, they ought to be very "lifty"... Try and get a demo on one because foot launch is so much more versatile and it sounds like you are missing out.
I could still foot-launch in a six mph wind which would get me airborne in the long grass :) 

23 hours ago, Blackburn Mark said:

The best things in life never come easy 🙃

I’ve tried many different things over the years to seek the excitement and adrenaline that makes you really feel alive, after having 8 years of health issues I am now totally focused on taking up a new and thrilling venture. The thought of actually taking to the air and viewing the world from an entirely new perspective has to be worth overcoming any potential negatives and challenges - but then I guess that’s easy for me to say at this stage 😁

• Like 2