Brand new, what training should I opt for and other things...

Hi all :)

so just had my first tandem flight, and loved it.

Afterwards I told the instructor that I'd love to get the training for the paramotor, he responded and said I shoulI earn to master hanggliding first and get 30-40 jumps in before I start strapping an engine to my back.

that makes sense to me... but he also recommended I should then go for the advanced package, aerial stunts and more theory. He of course offers both.... 

So I'm curious, how did you all start out? What would you recommend?

Also, I might be dreaming... but I envision myself getting a paramotor and driving around all kinds of places and seeing the from the air. Can you do that? Is that something that "you people" do. I already do the travelling bit, sightseeing from the air sounds like a great addition.

Best regards

Kim

The thing with using a motor is you can fly just about anywhere, rather than needing a special hill or cliff for free-flight. I decided immediately that an engine was what I wanted, so there was no point learning free-flight first. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kim Hansen said:

sightseeing from the air sounds like a great addition.

Some people travel to various launch sights, some stay local, some do 100 miles on an XC, some are happy with a 60 min circuit.

I started off with a motor but fell in love with free-flight, did that for many years then got back into paramotoring.... Its hard to say what you will take to so be as cautious as you can with the cash in your attempts to find out :) 

If you are after "sightseeing" then a paramotor is hard to beat!

• Upvote 2

On 24/07/2020 at 00:41, Blackburn Mark said:

Some people travel to various launch sights, some stay local, some do 100 miles on an XC, some are happy with a 60 min circuit.

I started off with a motor but fell in love with free-flight, did that for many years then got back into paramotoring.... Its hard to say what you will take to so be as cautious as you can with the cash in your attempts to find out :) 

If you are after "sightseeing" then a paramotor is hard to beat!

Thanks for the reply, 

Can you just find a field and launch off? (presumably after checking the area for electric cables...) Or do you go to local club sites? 

If I could just find an open space and launch off from there, would be awesome!

I live very North in the UK and few others fly up here. I have 3 different launch sites. You have o have the landowners permission, so usually this means spending a few days knocking on farmers doors until you find a friendly one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Kim Hansen said:

Can you just find a field and launch off?

There are very few places I am willing to use without permission... Remote, scrubby open access or "common" land, I will use when it is obvious that there is no "reasonable" argument against it.... I tend to launch and stay well away from that spot to minimize any attention.

You cant beat having permission though, park up, make a brew, jibber jabber with others, fly, land, more jibber jabber :)

• Like 1