Adjusting wing for straight flight

After getting my new wing I haven't adjusted it yet for straight and level flight when cruising trimmed out on XCs. In my last XC if I trim out and cruise in level flight the motor turns to the right slightly. Even when compensating with weight shift, it doesn't correct it. If I use my TEA line to correct, it then turns to the left. I had to pull on the left tip steering toggle down to my ears for most of the flight, which got annoying.

So I guess I have two options to fix this:

1) Adjust the TEA knot so that when it's engaged I will be flying straight when cruising

2) Try the upper carabiner riser loop on one side. My wing has two loops to connect to the carabiner.

How do people solve this commonly? Adjusting the TEA knot, use the upper carabiner loop or some other method?

I have a bulldog Moster 185 and a Dudek Universal 1.1 28m

My original Synth used to do this - it drove me to distraction..

Most wings do it to a certain degree, it originates from the motor, though.

When you`re flying level is the right hand side carabiner noticeably lower than the left?

If the wing tends to go left when using the TEA then maybe the knot it set too high and pulling the tip steering line too much? Re-position the knot? Having to pull the tip steering toggle down to your ears sounds like you have a lot of torque steer.... Phone Clive and see if he has any tips for adjusting the Bulldog harness to correct the torque effect (adjust harness so that r/h carabiner is set higher so that it gets pulled down level when under power)?

Using the upper hang point on the left hand side riser will work, whether it corrects exactly the amount of turn you are experiencing can only be found out when flying as it`s non-adjustable.

If using the upper hook-in point does make it fly straight when under power you may then feel a slow turn to the left when gliding in for landings etc. Not a problem, just counter it with right brake.

Of course the easiest way to correct torque steer is asymetrical trimmers - it`s effective and is infinitely adjustable..

Is this torque steer and an inherent feature of the motor/frame design. I find that with either of my 2 machines it makes no difference what wing I use, they always behave perfectly and only require a slight left lean. 

Clive spent two hours getting the harness adjusted just perfect only a few weeks ago!

So choices are

1. Put left riser in upper loop and right right riser in lower loop on carabiners
  2. Move the knot down an inch or so
  3. Asymmetric trimmers - feels wrong to me, but maybe a short-term fix or in-flight adjustment if it's not quite right when out on an XC

I will go to the field later and just test it out. I think I will do it in the order above.

Thanks!

Did you just use the TEA knot in the position that it was set when you got the wing? It`s meant to be adjusted to suit your individual requirements. I`d be surprised if a correctly-set knot didn`t eliminate the problem.

Asymetrical trimmers are fine - you`re only talking 5/10mm difference, it`s not going to develop into a death spiral, certainly not a a Uni, anyway..

17 minutes ago, Hann__ said:

Did you just use the TEA knot in the position that it was set when you got the wing? It`s meant to be adjusted to suit your individual requirements. I`d be surprised if a correctly-set knot didn`t eliminate the problem.

Asymetrical trimmers are fine - you`re only talking 5/10mm difference, it`s not going to develop into a death spiral, certainly not a a Uni, anyway..

Yeah I haven't touched the knot from the factory. I'm sure that changing the knot will fix it, I'm just wondering what everyone else does in this regard. Do they use TEA or offset carabiner loops.

I have a moster engine and fly Uni 1.1 28 ;) and i tend to weight shift by putting right leg over left, but last flight did use tea line and found out bottom knot needs moving down slightly, but i was trimmed out to 15 and this was to gain level flight :D, but keep meaning to try the upper loop to see the difference.

But IMO i will adjust the tea knot as can be applied or undone as torque steer not a problem at lower throttle use :coptor: