Poll - flying post lockdown

Flying post lock down  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Our community should refrain from flying to help the NHS even after the lock down. Please select the answer(s) that best reflect why you agree.

• Yes because it’s selfish to do a risk sport when the NHS is under Increased pressure
    • Yes, but for other reasons (i.e. you are sanctimonious, please specify)
    • Yes because it would give the sport a bad reputation to be flying when A and E departments are busy
  2. 2. Anyone who flies post lock down when the NHS is busy should be publicly shamed and reported to the police for anti-social behaviour.

• Yes as a deterrent to others
    • Yes, because I have low self esteem and it makes me feel powerful and important

Watching people’s head explode across Facebook as they react to being told they can begin to use their own judgement. Seems a lot of folks can’t operate without big brother telling them very precisely what they can or can’t do and get panicky and anxious at the idea of taking responsibility for themselves. I hope that’s just a vocal minority.

31E0497C-2CE9-4DCB-9651-0FF514380AD8.png

4 hours ago, Blackburn Mark said:

Just watched the whole thing.
Yep, that's how I interpreted it, take exercise as often as we like including driving // alone or with family
Lets hope its flyable next weekend... if anyone comes to my flying field, twenty meters minimum you barstards!!!! (cant afford to clown it up now)

Would love to join you at your flying field but you are selfish bastard and wont tell anyone where it is :D

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, grumble56 said:

Would love to join you at your flying field but you are selfish bastard and wont tell anyone where it is :D

Sod off Grumble, I have never hidden where I fly.... I wont advertise it here in the open forum but I have PM'd those who ask.
It might not work too well at the moment, you need to show your face to the farmer and pay your subs (not everyone's cup of tea)
He used to let anyone fly for free for many years, then he fought a court case to keep us flying when a local tried to shut it down... it would have been so much easier for him to just kick us off so from then on, folks insisted we pay him a fiver every time we fly which I agree with. So if you are anywhere near Clitheroe and in need of a good spot.... :) 

9 hours ago, Patrick1 said:

Watching people’s head explode across Facebook as they react to being told they can begin to use their own judgement. Seems a lot of folks can’t operate without big brother telling them very precisely what they can or can’t do and get panicky and anxious at the idea of taking responsibility for themselves. I hope that’s just a vocal minority.

31E0497C-2CE9-4DCB-9651-0FF514380AD8.png

I am shocked everyday at the amount of people who seem to just thrive on big government and what has become a police state. What the hell happenend to people? so many of them have become proles and have gladly handed all their freedoms over to the state. They have apparently even lost all their immune systems too !  Never thought i would see this in my life time. Luckily im not on FB or Twitter or any of them as it would drive me over the edge . Anyway i hope we can all get back to some of our freedoms soon and i hope the weather holds out for a bit. 

3 minutes ago, toploader said:

I am shocked everyday at the amount of people who seem to just thrive on big government

Trying not get too political.... Yep, it makes me bloody nervous.
Ill try to be optimistic and say we are just getting old and grumpy and the "youth" has always had more mouth than brain :)

31 minutes ago, Blackburn Mark said:

You brave boy Andy!
That must be quite a lathe!
Are you going to be able to run on that foot this weekend :) 

I'll, be hobbling around for a while now! However, I can't foot launch anyway now as back too knackered. My operation was supposed to be 3 weeks ago to cut 3 wedges out of 3 lumbar vertebrae and bend me 45 degrees more upright. I am so bent at the moment that I can't stand up straight enough and the motor pushes me into the ground!  I've built a trike......but Redcar beach is still closed!

choice is easy.you either fly or you dont,,if someone flys, good on them,if thy dont good on them,,i make my own mind up.if i can find a field with short grass.my mind will be made up,,just got some fuel for the ktm as out on it wed,,

14 minutes ago, AndyB said:

I'll, be hobbling around for a while now! However, I can't foot launch anyway now as back too knackered. My operation was supposed to be 3 weeks ago to cut 3 wedges out of 3 lumbar vertebrae and bend me 45 degrees more upright. I am so bent at the moment that I can't stand up straight enough and the motor pushes me into the ground!  I've built a trike......but Redcar beach is still closed!

Ouch, that doesn't sound like fun!
"Redcar beach"... I was up there last summer, millions of small black flies sticks in the memory :( 

I'm trying to avoid ending up on a trike but its getting tough... I'm attempting to design a sub70kg three axis to escape the inevitable grounding of my foot-launch exploits... at the moment, an attempt to actually commit to a build is hanging on my ability to either fabricate a 1200mm drive shaft that can handle 8000rpm and doesn't weigh a ton or route a timing belt through some angular acrobatics, neither of which I am confident in.
But it keeps my brain awake while I'm grounded :) 

2 hours ago, Blackburn Mark said:

Sod off Grumble, I have never hidden where I fly.... I wont advertise it here in the open forum but I have PM'd those who ask.
It might not work too well at the moment, you need to show your face to the farmer and pay your subs (not everyone's cup of tea)
He used to let anyone fly for free for many years, then he fought a court case to keep us flying when a local tried to shut it down... it would have been so much easier for him to just kick us off so from then on, folks insisted we pay him a fiver every time we fly which I agree with. So if you are anywhere near Clitheroe and in need of a good spot.... :) 

I know this (I have followed threads) but couldn't resist the joke :D

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Spiral wound carbon fibre tube would work well for a lightweight shaft. 

I have contemplated it, the material is a little out of my comfort zone
But now I think about it, testing for torque tolerance is not difficult whatever I use and its rigidity would place its resonance nice and high.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyB said:

Perfect stance for lathe work 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jock said:

choice is easy.you either fly or you dont,,if someone flys, good on them,if thy dont good on them,,i make my own mind up.if i can find a field with short grass.my mind will be made up,,just got some fuel for the ktm as out on it wed,,

just dragged the TM out for a spin

8 minutes ago, Blackburn Mark said:

No wonder your back is goosed!
I hope you were on top dollar for those :) 

A little off topic........I built my garage years ago with a runway beam, hoist and vacuum lifter. Some of the granite blocks I have are 300 kg. I also have a small elec forklift. The tree I made during lockdown is about 350 kg....

TREE 1.JPG

• Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, jock said:

Nothing in gov,50 page doc saying you can or cant fly....so its how you read boris saying sports and leisure is ok

Haven't read it yet... I was worried it might contain a nuance that would cause some ambiguity.
Its game on as far as I'm concerned.

I still want to keep as low a profile as is practical to give Mrs Busybody and Chicken Little some time to unbunch their knickers a bit.

You know, no barrel rolls over Asda and shit like that :)