Engines - atom 80 max pilot weight

paraflyer17

I'm around 85-90kgs and looking at what machine to buy. I'll be a beginner. I'm training next year, but if a decent used machine turns up I'm tempted to buy one now.

The place I'm going to learn to fly at uses atom 80s, and they reckon they are plenty for my weight. I also like the sound of a quieter motor. Is anyone else of this weight flying on an Atom 80, and if so how do you find it? Or am I over what the engine would be comfortable with?

Ideally I'd rather stay away from the moster as from what I understand they are thirsty, noisy and probably too much power for a beginner of my weight. And I keep hearing about cracked exhausts!

Are there any other good options for engine? Not decided if I am going to buy new or used yet (possibly a combination of both). If I go with used, I'll obviously have even less choice, which might not actually be a bad thing!

I'm also not very mechanically minded, so need something thats easy to look after and doesn't need too much tinkering. And would prefer something that wasn't too niche and without backup.

I started putting together a list of engines and specs. Anyone care to advise which to consider and which to avoid? Or is it really a split between atom and moster?

Thanks in advance

image.png.862e44fa1b0387367eaac622ca2f9bcd.png

• Like 1

I'm just getting into paramotoring too but the only thing i would say about your table is that things like thrust and fuel consumption will vary depending on other variables such as what is the prop size, how many blades, total weight of you + gear, what wing are you using, are you out for a leisurely flight or are you entering the icarus X race etc

And I think Bailey aviation went out of business so parts for that engine might start to become thin on the ground in future if not already, I would imagine its not like cars where there would have been large batches of parts made, paramotoring is still relatively niche in itself so I would expect the production runs to be fairly small, i could be talking out my &rse though

with regards to fuel consumption are you looking to do cross countries/races? or are you simply flying for your own fun? that's one of the main reasons i can see considerations about fuel consumption would become more of a priority, but then you may want to have a motor with a bit more grunt as you might have to "refuel" in less than ideal places where the ability for a shorter take off would be beneficial if your doing XC's

I know....i haven't helped at all, but it might give you more food for thought lol, I'm not even looking at gear till I've done some training and gotten a better idea of what i want to do.

Fuel use is very dependant on wing and pilot weight. Big wing, slower, more drag, more fuel. Big pilot, fly faster to stay level, more fuel. The following is with a 28 m Roadster and 95 kg pilot......

Nitro fuel 4.25 l/hr

Tornado, thrust 88 kg, fuel 5 l/hr

Thanks guys.

Perhaps I have over complicated the question by putting the fuel burn specs in.

I am primarily trying to work out which engines are suitable for my weight, and which I should consider in terms of reliability etc.

Good shout on bailey, dont want to be stuck with something unsupported. 

I mainly just want straight and level A to B and maybe some low level. 

Is atom likely.to be any good based on my weight? 

Any engine is suitable for weight. However, it depends on your experience and level of fitness as to whether you will be able to fly.

Smaller engine = longer, faster run.

Heavier pilot = longer, faster run.

Smaller wing = longer faster run.

Inexperienced pilot = more chance/time for error.

I know 95 kg pilots with Atom 80, and me at the same weight with Tornado. I like the extra power because it pushes me into the air very quickly (I can't walk very well!). I use Tornado on beaches because running in sand is more difficult. I use a Nitro in the UK on grass.

with table on the top,a half its in dream zone😂😂 simply overestimated

moster 78kg thrust, 🥵🥵

eos 150 70kg its joke

eos 100 61kg max 55kg in reality

and fuel consumption moster 3l 🤣🤣🤣😂 ,on the ground only ,slightly higher then idle revs 2100 or 2200,dont know why they misleading this way.

if you around 90kg body weight and want fly not only sprint exercise go strigh to nitro 200 or tornado 280 this is only one very reliable motors,nothink cracking ,smacking ,ringing,fouling off , or any other nasty surprises

• Like 1

I’m about 85kg body weight & fly with a Top 80 in a Miniplane & an Ozone Spyder 26 (80-140kg weight range) reflex paramotor wing. Great combination!

It gets me off the ground no problem. I’ve never really measured fuel consumption. Not really bothered too much about it. 
You will have no problem with the Atom 80. I think it’s got a slight edge in power over the Top 80. 
If they are using the Atom 80 where you are going to train, even better. Try it out & see how you get on with it BEFORE you buy. For general flying & learning on it should be perfect. If you want shorter take offs from smaller fields & a stronger climb out then consider going bigger. 
A few pilots at my local field have the EOS 150 in a Wasp frame & it seems a great motor. Lightweight & powerful. Worth considering if extra power is your desire. 
Best of luck with your training & take your time choosing the right motor & wing. 

Justin

I am about 88kg & fly with atom 80, its an awesome engine & OK with nucleon xx 26 & hadron xx 20. Have to run a few more steps sometimes compared to my moster, but thats forgotten when in the air. Its so quiet/smooth/light, loving this engine. 19kg empty on a starmax expedition frame. nearly 50 hrs thus far & loving it

80cc for a 90kg pilot? In my ppg club (about 100 pilots) these engines are only used by students and light guys. Most of us are in the 125-200cc range.
I am 72 kg and have a Thor 200. Once I am in the air I have the peace of mind that I can gain altitude without problems. The only drawback is the weight (31kg)

I recommend you to try a more powerful engine than the 80 and then decide.

I did a power conversion as I was already an experienced paraglider pilot. 
While training I tried a paramotor with a Thor 130. With fuel probably near 30kg. I struggled with the ground handling (probably too used to my free flying) & I began to wonder whether taking up paramotoring was a mistake! I then tried another paramotor with the Top 80 nearer the 20kg weight & what a difference!

I really do think you should try the Atom 80. Talking to your instructor who should be able to offer you the best advice as they will know first hand your ability & what motor/wing combination suits you best. 
One of the instructors where I trained was well over 90kg body weight & over 6ft & he regularly flew the paramotor with the Top 80 no problem. 
There really is a lot of factors involved to what size motor you go for. That’s why I think it’s important to get your training done before you commit to buying gear & if possible, try different machines at the school to find out what’s right for you. 

Justin

• Like 1

I did a conversion course with Simon at SkyHighPPG and used a Top80(miniplane) with a 26m Gin wing. I was happy enough  that I bought a second hand  PAP Top80 (from Cas on here) and bought a Roadster 3 to go with it. Not a speed demon set up but it suits my 90kg 63 year old body. Maybe I will look into something a little larger eventually but the biggest plus for the Top80 for me is that there is a wealth of knowledge out there about the motor, most issues have been resolved and parts are (relatively) cheap. OK its the VW Beetle of paramotoring but like the Beetle it gets you from A to B cheaply and reliably :)