EOS 100/150 Questions, Seeking Advice on a Purchase

Ryan Razza

Hi, looking to buy my first kit soon once my training is completed.  In the meantime, I'm doing information recon.   Most of the eos engine threads are dead and left unfinished, so I made an account to get some feedback from the community on them since I cant find any information from this year.

How have the EOS engines evolved?  Is there support still no good?  Are there still quite a few problems with them, or have some of the kinks been worked out?  How is there durability, reliability, maintenance, support?

EOS owners, if you could go back in time, would you still buy the EOS?

I'm drawn to them because they have more power than the atom/top 80 while remaining light, but I dont want to make a mistake.  Please advise. 

Thanks

Edit: Just found an EOS 150 thread with some recent info, still seeking some on the EOS 100/booster though, or anything else relevant you all would like to share on these subjects.  Thanks again.

Edited by Ryan Razza

http://www.cloudbaseppg.com/q-a/useful-links/thrust-table-results?fbclid=IwAR02BArltt7NPc9uUpzLauJH2HtdeWrwj1xp3pWObnQgqb0gtea3DcbktdI

I just came across these thrust tables by one of the posters here. Perusing them, I was astonished to see that the sky 110 motor puts out very nearly as much thrust as the moster 185. I just picked up a moster but had I known this prior, I would have done thorough research on that little gem and perhaps gone a different direction. My personal research on the eos150 turned luke-warm - I don't believe it to be the motor I had hoped it to be. But I'm not an owner.

YMMV. 

yeah thats my general sense as well.  hard to find anything other than issues with it, but there isnt much out there.  the sky 110 sounds quite nice but i know little about it.  so far ive just been looking at the main motors because i had planned on getting a maverick frame and my understanding is that it will only fit certain motors.  if you pardon the noob question, on which frames do you typically see sky motors?

If you haven't already, I recommend subscribing to the "paramotor" group on facebook, and search there using both eos 150 and sky 110 as your search terms.  The responses on the eos 150, few as they are, tend to be mostly positive - except for the thread you discovered here on paramotorclub. I never ran a search on the eos 100, and am only now doing so on the sky 110.

Edited by xNateX

thanks guys!  I will check out the facebook group too, I appreciate the feedback.  @admin (Simon W) , thats awesome to hear!  How would you compare the maintenance and upkeep to other motors?  Is it hard to get new/spare parts, etc?  Do you find it runs extremely hot?  Would you recommend it as a first motor to a beginner?

Thanks

My instructor suggested tabling my 'data dig' until after I get into the air, (start training next week) and actually experience the power of the engine options available.  I am almost in between at 160lbs, (~73kgs) at fly from 2200' field elevation with summer density altitudes 5-6000'.  But I did find a very interesting engine prop combo, the Miniplane Top 80 150 with a 140cm prop.  This combo claims higher thrust output with lower noise.  Would like to find people that have experienced this set up for their opinions.

Hi, I’ve run a 100 booster since last November fitted in a air conception frame , I did have first start of the day problems ‘ carb adjustments and starter cord top pulley location . Not a lover of the flash/easy start system eos use . But I’ve never had trouble flying it and super smooth throttle plenty of power for me @70kgs on rapport air 24 .

cas . 

• 1 year later...

I have had nothing but problems with my pos 100 booster engine, warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on, any issue is just fobbed off by the factory. Would I buy another one, hell no. Stick with the Italians at least they acknowledge and rectify issues with their engines

• 2 weeks later...

Remember that people on the internet are more likely to post about issues than positive stuff about their gear.

I was looking to buy my instructor ros 125. Old engine, heavy but quite powerful...but i only found negative feedback on the internet about this engine reliability.Yet, a pilot who flies regularly with our group has had his ros 125 for nine years before it needed a rebuild.

So i bought  the engine anyways, fixed what needed to be fixed and so far 25 hours without an engine out.(25 hours isn't much but still...)

My take on engines is: if you take care of them by using good oil, good gas and doing proper maintenance/checking fluid and carb mixture regularly, you should be alright.

Of course there are always duds sometimes