Trike wing recommendations

Guy

Morning all, what great weather for it and good luck to all those new pilots taking to the air for the first time this week.

What I really wanted to ask for is, as the title suggests, recommendations for a trike wing.

I fly what was originally a Powerchute powered parachute, but the wing was horrible. I subsequently converted the head plate to take a paraglider wing and have very successfully flown an Ozone Magmax 38 for the last 2 years. All is well except that it is a bit (or a lot depending on your view a lot) on the slow side. I was warned about this before I bought the wing but at that time I was happy to take something on which I could safely build my hours.

I now feel more confident in flying in wind (always moderate of course) but am in danger of not getting back to the airfield if I fly downwind. I would also like to go XC a bit more.

I would like to consider something a bit quicker, probably not reflex, that can take the weight of 100kg trike...........even better if someone has something for sale.

Many thanks.

Guy

On 03/04/2019 at 21:58, DavidG4 said:

Don't want to hijack the thread, but why not reflex? From what i read they are better all-round than non reflex.  What am i missing?

The trike that I fly has very high hang points.......comfortably above head height. That means I need to use brake lines that have been carefully lengthened to accommodate this, but the trimmers are almost out of reach so not easily adjusted in flight.

If I were to put the wing into full reflex by letting out the trimmers it would be unsafe to rely on the brakes for turning and I would need to use the wing tip steering, but these are also well out of reach. Not therefore practical for me.

Some might say change the trike, but for me it is the one thing I would not change. It is very stable on the ground with a very low centre of gravity and a wide wheel base.

I could probably get away with simply reducing the size of the wing in order to increase the airspeed but with very few suggestions coming forward perhaps I will have to be prepared to put up with gently 'floating around' at 25 mph or thereabouts.

I flew ozone speedster 34 on 100kg trike minus fuel it had 30 litre tank 447rotax engine, it was perfect not slow on cruise i left paramotor buddys well behind.i regret selling the trike, i fly 34 dudek nucleon on ppg trike now,another good wing for trikes

8 minutes ago, Guy said:

Thanks Jock, I like the idea of a speedster 33.

Now a few years old, has anyone got one in good condition that might be for sale?

Try clive mason.cm paramotoirs he may have or know of one,,,,you are welcome to try my nucleon but its not for sale,come down got perfect field for your trike 

• Thanks 1

On 04/04/2019 at 22:42, Guy said:

Ps. I may be wrong about the use of brakes with extended trimmers. Is this only dangerous if also applying speed bar?

brakes will be very hard to pull with open trims,hence tip steering lines,some say dont use brakes to turn when on full trim.plus you wont use speed bar on your trike,are you on any of the fb flying groups pm me on fb.want to as you somthing lol

On 04/04/2019 at 22:07, Guy said:

The trike that I fly has very high hang points.......comfortably above head height. That means I need to use brake lines that have been carefully lengthened to accommodate this, but the trimmers are almost out of reach so not easily adjusted in flight.

If I were to put the wing into full reflex by letting out the trimmers it would be unsafe to rely on the brakes for turning and I would need to use the wing tip steering, but these are also well out of reach. Not therefore practical for me.

Some might say change the trike, but for me it is the one thing I would not change. It is very stable on the ground with a very low centre of gravity and a wide wheel base.

I could probably get away with simply reducing the size of the wing in order to increase the airspeed but with very few suggestions coming forward perhaps I will have to be prepared to put up with gently 'floating around' at 25 mph or thereabouts.

you can just lengthen wing tip steer line to be along side your brake handles.easy fix.you can t/o useing haft trim and go into wind ok.then have a cord to pull trims in for landing,but landing with some trim on with,your trike would not be a problem.ive t.o on full trim when i had my 447 trike and landed alibet quicker than normal,the speed across the ground is quick.lol..i wouldnt mind a 2 seat areochute but silly money second hand,so will convert another microlight soon

1 hour ago, jock said:

you can just lengthen wing tip steer line to be along side your brake handles.easy fix.you can t/o useing haft trim and go into wind ok.then have a cord to pull trims in for landing,but landing with some trim on with,your trike would not be a problem.ive t.o on full trim when i had my 447 trike and landed alibet quicker than normal,the speed across the ground is quick.lol..i wouldnt mind a 2 seat areochute but silly money second hand,so will convert another microlight soon

My trike is the same as the aerochute, albeit older. It was originally made by a company called Powerchute in Herefordshire. They went bust and the Australians bought the design and have been making them ever since. Yes you're right, they are expensive.

I have a friend selling on older 2 seat kestrel at around £2,500 but that will have with it the older square powered parachute wing. Very easy though to convert the head plate to a paraglider 2 hang point system. I'll hang fire on the wing for the time being but hope to get to see you before long.

LOL. The one I mentioned did however include an engine and a wing. I still don't think that's too bad a price for being able to get airborne.

On another note I have a friend who is toying with either a floppy wing or a flexwing trike. It'll be interesting to see what sways him one way or the other.

21 hours ago, AndyB said:

£370, make your own :)

20180419_113015.thumb.jpg.7026580920b8ae9ea573dae881f0868f.jpg

HAHA we were on about the hummer areochute trike,lots more tubing etc,but you done a nice job on your trike,my kite buggy one cost £75 flys great,i fitted wider nylon axle,i cant see how to post pics on this forum,suppose you must be paid member to do so

Edited by jock