What would you do .....

What would you do......

After a shed load of hours on this prop I was taking it out of the van after the Flyin and it caught on the top of the van.

I did give it a yank so guess lucky not to snap !!

• Leave it alone - will it vibrate?
  • Would it be out of balance now
  • Fill in with?
  • Dent the after side?

925573329_PropPenny.thumb.jpg.33137017cacf55d92b3e632fb8222953.jpg

Support it with a shaft of some sort in the horizontal plane, a large screwdriver will do, and see if it drops on the undinked side.

I made a test gig with a ball race bearing and a shaft of the correct diameter for the centre of the prop, this is quite sensitive, particularly if you remove the dust covers on either side of the bearing to reduce the friction to the minimum.

I doubt you will notice any unbalance but I would fill in the little dink with epoxy then re-test.

• Thanks 1

I’ve been flying mine for a few hours now with a full inch missing from the tip of the blade on one side and it’s hardly noticeable. I am sending off to get repaired this week but I can’t imagine you’d notice any difference from a tiny nick like that. I’d ignore it.

• Thanks 1

OK cheers

Never repaired one before.

I'm guessing this will be a good, easy one to test my skills on :-)   WILL IT ??

Just not sure how to keep a good curve on the edge still !!!

Knowing my luck I'll put so much epoxy on I'll need to put a lead weight on the other side :-) to balance it ......

I had a dink very similar to yours Tony.

Like Alan, I used a bit of Araldite, shaped it by eye then went and flew it without any problems. I had it tested several months later and it was perfecltly balanced and flew for several more years (I think it's still in use). 

Cheers Steve.

Checked my epoxy and it looks very old. So to be safe I've just ordered some 'Instant' type.

Should be here by Wednesday and then I'll have a play :-)

I think it happen when I took my motor out the van, but I might be wrong and it happen over the weekend.

I polished the prop before I went and never noticed then.

2 hours ago, asquaddie said:

Cheers Steve.

Checked my epoxy and it looks very old. So to be safe I've just ordered some 'Instant' type.

Should be here by Wednesday and then I'll have a play :-)

I think it happen when I took my motor out the van, but I might be wrong and it happen over the weekend.

I polished the prop before I went and never noticed then.

Van and props, vans and ripped tents ... ;-)