Altitude via iPhone?

Zeratul

Hi.  Maybe a silly question but when I eventually get the opportunity to purchase my kit and start flying around, do people get by in just using their phone to inform altitude? (Currently in middle of training with PMC) I’m really asking as I was about to get the iPhone SE which DOES’NT have a barometer and so not giving an accurate altitude apparently.

cheers :)

I always use an old android phone, many different apps that show altitude quite accurately. I have also tested them walking up & down steps & found the accuracy is more than adequate (I keep my main phone in my pocket to preserve battery life in case of out landing)

Edited by simonhunny

• 2 weeks later...

I have flyskyhy on my iPhone which records everything, but as a "newbie" myself i did not want to be letting go of the brakes every few mins to see what my height was, so I bought a Fairhaven Micro Alti. Not sure on the rules on advertising on here so won't say where I got it other that to say my instructor got it for me. They are a around £118 I think.

Its a great bit of kit, simple to use, I have it strapped to my wrist so I can see it at all times. Although I did have to buy a longer velcro strap to go over my winter suit. but that was only 3 quid.

On 26/02/2018 at 14:09, cianpars said:

Is that 6000 ft AMSL, QNH or QFE?

Can you set the pressure on these things?

You don't need to set pressure when using the phone apps.....as they don't use pressure. They calculate position using the satellite GPS signals. :)

2 minutes ago, AndyB said:

You don't need to set pressure when using the phone apps.....as they don't use pressure. They calculate position using the satellite GPS signals. :)

That's very useful to know Andy.  My phone does not have a pressure sensor and I was expecting to have to upgrade.  I was thinking of a Samsung S7, so if you are correct, then you have just saved me the cost of a new phone.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Neil Gornall said:

I have flyskyhy on my iPhone which records everything, but as a "newbie" myself i did not want to be letting go of the brakes every few mins to see what my height was, so I bought a Fairhaven Micro Alti. Not sure on the rules on advertising on here so won't say where I got it other that to say my instructor got it for me. They are a around £118 I think.

Its a great bit of kit, simple to use, I have it strapped to my wrist so I can see it at all times. Although I did have to buy a longer velcro strap to go over my winter suit. but that was only 3 quid.

I have seen people with their phone strapped to their inner forearm, which makes it visable all of the time.  I suppose a flight deck, whether bought or home made is another possibility.

Flyskyhy is great, everything you need is on there - i have the airspace extension, too.

Height above sea level via GPS signal rather than barometer pressure is the way it operates, very accurate, also has height over ground - when i fly over the sea they both read the same then over ground the height changes instantly as i fly over the beach.

I fix mine to the Bulldog bars with a microphone stand iphone holder like this;

https://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_iphone_clamp.htm

5891420_800.jpg

Edited by Hann__
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, admin (Simon W) said:

The iphone uses a Barometer as well as GPS just to you know :-)

SW :D

Unfortunately the latest iPhone SE doesn’t have the barometer. It was one of the things they cut back on. So just gps for altitude - which I was under the impression was less accurate?