Single finger break toggle mod

Newbie here ... 7 flights.   Curious how popular the single finger break toggle modification is.   I've noticed when I cram the entire break toggle into my palm behind the throttle, it seems a little cumbersome.    Then again ... I only have 7 flights and I'm sure I'll get over it.   I have seen one video of a guy sewing a single finger loop just down from the magnets that looks like it would be a cleaner way to take off  for me at least.    Anyone else out there do this ?  Am I over-thinking it (as usual) -   Safe <fun> Flying all!  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Ryan Shaw at Paradrenalin in Arizona sells some really nice single finger (index finger) toggles with swivels and magnets to replace standard toggles. I have used them from first learning. Work well with Parajet trigger type throttle as your index finger sits right in the groove at the top of the throttle out of the way.

B

6 hours ago, papagyo said:

Hi All,

Ryan Shaw at Paradrenalin in Arizona sells some really nice single finger (index finger) toggles with swivels and magnets to replace standard toggles. I have used them from first learning. Work well with Parajet trigger type throttle as your index finger sits right in the groove at the top of the throttle out of the way.

B

I thought about buying some the first time I saw them, probably because during my second training flight I let go of the toggles mid air. Ok, the toggle stopped at the netting but the magnet kept going and struck the prop. Scared the bejesus out of me, not the sound, but thinking of the potential seriousness of what just happened whilst fumbling for the toggle.

As a novice, I plan to do mostly XC so a lot of the time as I imagine, you'll be passive flying. I figure if you need to get onto the toggles quickly and active fly due to a cravat, full frontal or just something nasty, then there's less to go for. 

I figure you have a better chance of getting at least a couple of fingers into a standard toggle, if need be, than a thumb and finger onto a small toggle or a fist for that matter..

Some thoughts would be much appreciated from those in the know however.....

Curious,

Thanks..

Hi Tony,

I completed training but waiting on my kit. The toggles were an after thought. What I neglected to mention in my original post was I am missing the first joint of my index finger on my left hand , press accident. A tip missing doesn't sound too bad, but it might as well be a whole finger when you try and combine a throttle, toggle and A's over the thumb, Then it gets interesting.

I probably thought the finger toggle may assist, but after thinking it through as to why it MAY be a negative move potentially, I went against it. 

The rig I have coming is right/left throttle interchangeable, so I have the capability to go RH throttle if need be. But I'll just persist until it's second nature..O.o

Sorry for the confusion. I am still curious however on your thoughts for the finger toggle. 

9 hours ago, TONYPARAMOTOR said:

hi kran as mentioned by yourself. your in training? so while training have you asked your instructor? to use the finger type toggle? and what is hes reply?

Another thought was, whilst under pressure, say going for you reserve with fingers in a small toggle. Big toggle easy release, bang, reserve out, small toggle not so easy maybe? I've not seen the toggle first hand, just thoughts.

I'm actually ex Meat Bomb/skydiver as I've since been referred to by a few paramotorist's. Yes, I'm disappointed I didn't get into ppg 10 years ago instead of the other, but I'm doing something about that now.hahaha  

Edited by Kran
add

hi kran,   tx for explaining .you know best. then try it out and see. time will tell . at first when i read your comment .and that you were still training. your instructor knows best... hence my comment.  sorry agian..what ever your decision. it will be your decision.   fly safe. we may meet at the 2018 parafest event wales   ;0)

Edited by TONYPARAMOTOR

15 hours ago, TONYPARAMOTOR said:

hi kran,   tx for explaining .you know best. then try it out and see. time will tell . at first when i read your comment .and that you were still training. your instructor knows best... hence my comment.  sorry agian..what ever your decision. it will be your decision.   fly safe. we may meet at the 2018 parafest event wales   ;0)

Thanks M8, I'll revisit them once my skills pick if I'm still having trouble. It's a bit early for me to be thinking parafest 2018, I've a bit on my plate down this way to cover me for 2018. I'm sure I'll get a good read about it here once it's done.

Fly safe.....Cheers.