Want to cross-over to power

Hi All, new member hoping to learn to fly paramotors VERY soon.....

I have the whole of October 2017 off work, to cross-over from paragliding (375 hours, Advanced rating) to paramotoring. Keen to learn with either of two local schools, but "paramotortraining.com" with Simon near Swindon is the closest and probably has the better set-up for wind direction and dry ground!

When is the weather going to improve????

Really thought that a whole month would give me the two days necessary to convert. But already we are half way through!

Decided to go the paramotor route because I live miles from any hills near Stratford-on-Avon; I used to have my own winch but there are too many height restrictions over my local fields to thermal up higher, due to Birmingham Airport and that is unlikely to close down any time soon.... As long as I stay below 1300m's I can travel in most directions except north!!!

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Steve said:

Congratulations Mark! :-) 

You learned in my neck of the woods, did you get to fly over Pen y Fan? 

No idea, we flew at Port Talbot, Aberavon beach near the sailing club/ragworm farm. For our higher, out-of-circuit flights we flew across the river and past Swansea University. Great site to learn, very laminar onshore breeze, forward and reverse launching. During lunch we could soar the dunes!

Ah, got it. I know the beach you mean at Aberavon - It's a bit of a drive from here and the trouble is the scenery is Port Talbot steelworks. :-(  If you flew north from the muddy site you'd soon be in stunning mountainous scenery where you can play for hours. :-) 

10582959_746689328724017_4039856287982351769_o.thumb.jpg.ff6655c78f42ccbd86f6e20577b7c49c.jpg

• Like 1

I've been seeing lots of paramotors and wings for £2k on ebay, even know a few people that have bought them. The lessons were cheap to give it a go, just not aware of the push to buy new at £9k for kit I might out-grow in a year; everyone tells you not to buy kit that is older than two years old. I simply could not even afford £2k today, even if the right kit came along. But I have started saving and have nominated myself for overtime at work.

Do I sell some of my other hobby equipment off? I have a top model metal detector and a fantastic coin collection, from Celtic, Roman, hammered medieval, to modern milled coins; this is valuable (my stamp collection has plummeted in value!!!), but selling these collections for a new hobby I'm not 100% sure I would continue to do, is a dodgy call. The coins are mostly silver and are appreciating nicely.... BUT, it's only money!

I have got a Roman silver hoard going through the Treasure Trove process, I share the value with the land owner, but no-one knows the actual value and it will take 2 years!!! Hey-ho, I don't do the lottery, but two weeks of full-on over time would be perfect right now. In my profession the over-time is not guaranteed, but when it's available it can be almost unlimited!!!

It would be damn useful if someone with kit that wasn't using it, would rent it out to me !!!! Surely using it is almost better than keeping it in a garage! I live in hope! Whilst taking lessons it only cost £30 a day (plus any breakages - none luckily!). But this price is only available in lessons....

When I did not have a family, I would always find the money, but now there are different priorities to life. AND, there is no-way that my wife would let me use "our" money for a dangerous sport, I have told her what my life policy is worth, but it hasn't changed her mind. We have been married 18 years, you'd think she would be pleased to let me go :)

10 minutes ago, Mark Pugh said:

I've been seeing lots of paramotors and wings for £2k on ebay, even know a few people that have bought them. The lessons were cheap to give it a go, just not aware of the push to buy new at £9k for kit I might out-grow in a year; everyone tells you not to buy kit that is older than two years old. I simply could not even afford £2k today, even if the right kit came along. But I have started saving and have nominated myself for overtime at work.

Do I sell some of my other hobby equipment off? I have a top model metal detector and a fantastic coin collection, from Celtic, Roman, hammered medieval, to modern milled coins; this is valuable (my stamp collection has plummeted in value!!!), but selling these collections for a new hobby I'm not 100% sure I would continue to do, is a dodgy call. The coins are mostly silver and are appreciating nicely.... BUT, it's only money!

I have got a Roman silver hoard going through the Treasure Trove process, I share the value with the land owner, but no-one knows the actual value and it will take 2 years!!! Hey-ho, I don't do the lottery, but two weeks of full-on over time would be perfect right now. In my profession the over-time is not guaranteed, but when it's available it can be almost unlimited!!!

It would be damn useful if someone with kit that wasn't using it, would rent it out to me !!!! Surely using it is almost better than keeping it in a garage! I live in hope! Whilst taking lessons it only cost £30 a day (plus any breakages - none luckily!). But this price is only available in lessons....

When I did not have a family, I would always find the money, but now there are different priorities to life. AND, there is no-way that my wife would let me use "our" money for a dangerous sport, I have told her what my life policy is worth, but it hasn't changed her mind. We have been married 18 years, you'd think she would be pleased to let me go :)

Mark. I see the same old paramotor tat on Ebay each week.

There are several important factors in choosing a motor and wing - factors that will probably determine whether you will take off /take up / keep up the sport.

Its great you've got coins and stuff but life is about choices - i'd like a stash of silver coins but my preference is to fly.

If taught properly, and with the right equipment, Paramotoring is a relatively safe sport. Much safer than others. 

The idea that someone would rent you their equipment is probably unrealistic - why would they for such a small return to someone who is just putting their toe in the water.

Perhaps get more lessons - get 20 flights under your belt - then decide.

Good luck :coptor:

I recall someone was trying tio set up a business renting paramnotors and kit a couple of years ago. I have no idea whether it took off (sorry) and can't recall the business name or where they were based, but they seemed to be motivated and did some publicity at the time - although in reality it was probably a hopeless business idea.  If I can find anything I'll post a link. 

Getting 20 flights is great advice, just what I need. It would surely let me know if I was interested in spending big and doing more of this sport. I already have a full set-up to paraglide, but it's a competition wing and not at all suitable for a motor. My two reserves, although annually re-packed are not large enough for the extra weight of a motor.

Therefore I require, motor, suitable wing and a new reserve.

After 20 flights on beginner kit, I would imagine I'd want to upgrade the wing for an intermediate with larger speed range and more suitable for flights into wind when necessary.

Obviously I need to buy the beginner kit that someone else has out-grown! Or rent a basic kit, that would be the ideal. I am sure that once someone has invested £9k in new kit they are not going to want to lend it to anyone, not even their best mate. Fully understood, but surely there are also people that bought some kit, quite liked the sport, so kept the kit, but for one reason or another haven't flown for a couple of years and maybe never again will. £200 for someone else to get there 20 "early learner" flights might be ideal to them!

I also realise that one propeller replacement would cost more than this, but that's an insurance risk I have to take with my own kit or borrowed/hired kit.

I live in hope (and near Stratford-on-Avon) !!

I would even just like to be ground crew for any local pilots, helping set-up, following/retrieving by car, even just photography and video. It would all be great experience and encourage/discourage me to keep saving up. The kitty is slowly rising and there is my birthday and Christmas coming up :)

I just need to save the surplus money, not spend the normal family income !