Newbie from Dorset

Hello all,

I thought I would take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Russell, 45 years young and I live in Dorset, just north of Bridport if anyone knows that area. I am very new to this sport, love any type of flying by find this mode very personal and exciting. I have done a taster day and was hooked and plan to start my training next year once the weather gets a bit better. I have started to order my kit ready for next year and would be interested to know if there were any other members in the Dorset area? I did notice that there was no Dorset regional forum on this site :(

Cheers

Russell

Welcome to the Paramotor Club :-)

There is a good handful of pilots in Dorset. For starters you in the same county as Parajet and the guys who are active pilots. I have also taught a few people from that way who will most likely see this and reply.

Again, welcome.

SW :D

Hi Ad,

I was planning to get a Revo2 but after speaking to Parajet they recommended I also look at the Ozone Roadster 2 as the guy I was talking to was telling me there were some issues with Paramania production and a glider could take anything up to 9 months for delivery. Personally I don't mind, I have nothing to compare it to and the Ozone seems to have a good write up from other users. As for a paramotor i was looking at the Zenith Thor 200. This may not be the best choice as adding all the weight up, including my "not as slim as I used to be" body would take it close to the max weight on the 28m and I've still got to add fuel and other accessories. I won't actually get the paramotor until next year so I have chance to look around and also loose what Christmas may put on :lol:

Cheers

Russell

• 1 month later...

Hi russell

I live in beaminster and have just trained with flyspain ,that was September.

Bought a parajet zenith Thor 130 from the folks at paramotor magazine.fully serviced and checked by parajet.

Also got my reserve from them.

I've only had three flights totalling 1hr15 mins.

It's cold terrifying and great fun.

Hoping to fly today but can't face the morning flight due to the cold.may try this afternoon.

There are two other pilots in the area that I know and I've seen others airborne locally.

Have you got a flying site?i have one or two but we are plagued with tiny fields and loads of trees here in the Brit valley.

I need four more hours before I can fully qualify.

Could meet for a coffee in bridport,though I only know what ric wormesley at fly Spain taught me.

I often go out ground handling in all conditions,come along its fun.

Bye

Adz

Hi Adz,

Thanks for your message. I would love to meet up and even come and see you ground handling. I am still waiting for my glider to be delivered, Christmas has caused a delay in deliveries so looking at Jan for it to arrive.

As for sites, there is a strip in Pymore (50°45'05.6"N 2°45'35.6"W) which is used for microlights, model aircraft etc and I hear that the farmer only charges a minimal fee per year to use his field. If all else fails and I can't get use of a farmers field locally I will look at this one.

I am off work this week so if you are planning to do some training etc please let me know and I would be more than happy to come over and say hi.

Cheers

Russell

Chaps,

If is of any assistance, both myself and my partner have just trained using an APCO Lift, (M) stunning as far as i can see, so much so, i bought one.

Weight range 100-160kg all up.

I do like the comment "need four hours to qualify".... you are either competent, or not.... no "qualification needed"!

If you are looking at the thor 200, look at the Minari 180, less weight, similar output, less onerous manufacturer maintenance schedule for the engine.

Thanks willlygofar for your comments. I have considered the PXP 180 as it is a good £2K cheaper than the Parajet and it will remain one of my options. Parajet are however a Dorset based company and I would like to support local companies as much as a I can. I think it will all come down to delivery times and how easy I am to separate myself from the cash once I come to order one :lol:

As for the hours that Adz was talking about, I do think the more hours you can get the better, yes you do need to be competent but that doesn't bring you experience which only comes with time in the air. I know I am a zero hour virgin at the moment but I will be glad to get at least 20 hours under my belt :D

Cheers

Russell

Hi. I fly out of Dorchester.

If its any help I have a Roadster and a Parajet Zenith Moster. You're more than welcome to come for a look see or a groundhandle of the Roadster if you want. It is an original Roadster and not the latest one, but you'll get some idea. Am on 07968582666 if you want to call over..

Regards... Rob..

• 1 month later...
Russell,

Any update ??

Did your wing arrive? How is the ground handling going ?

I still ground handle even after a flight, you can never get enough ground practice in.

Hi,

Yes my wing finally arrived, only took 9 weeks instead of the quoted 3. I haven't had chance to go out yet, the weather is being a real pain in the rear at the moment. As soon as we get some dryish weather with some light winds I will be out there.. It's still sitting in my lounge teasing me... :D

I haven't had chance to go out yet, the weather is being a real pain in the rear at the moment. As soon as we get some dryish weather with some light winds I will be out there.. It's still sitting in my lounge teasing me... :D

When the weather is good for you just shout up if you want a ground handling buddy. I'm sure there are plenty here willing to help, me included, I have a nice field for ground handling. Just shout up.

I haven't had chance to go out yet, the weather is being a real pain in the rear at the moment. As soon as we get some dryish weather with some light winds I will be out there.. It's still sitting in my lounge teasing me... :D

When the weather is good for you just shout up if you want a ground handling buddy. I'm sure there are plenty here willing to help, me included, I have a nice field for ground handling. Just shout up.

Thanks, i will do. I'm starting to get itchy with it sitting there and not being used.. I'll give you a call..