Spontaneous combustion :-(

Ok that's maybe a slight exaggeration but this morning setting up for an early flight I tried to start the motor (v2 macro) and it was turning over very slowly with a newly charger battery... I did this for just a few seconds before the smoke started to bellow out of the electrical box. :-( has anyone had this before? What did it end up being?

It was running perfectly just a few days ago and been sat in my garage untouched since then.....

I think that today I will have at least 2 very annoyed people waiting for first flights :-( :-( sorry in advance guys.

SW :D

Sent from my iPhone using PMC Forum mobile app

Hi Simon,

I had something very similar a couple of years ago. I have a Volution Macro and I had smoke coming from the inside of the electrical compartment - I was on the ground at the time.

Now, forgive my lack of appropriate vocabulary, I don't know what the bit was called but the top left hand side of the electrical compartment as you look at it has a small sealed metal box with houses some wires/junctions and 'ting - I think it feeds power to the starter motor. In my case, this was where the smoke was coming from and it was the plastic coasting on the wiring melting.

I think what was happening was too much electricity flowing through the wires and the plastic coating on the wiring was melting, causing smoke. There was NO flames. At the time, I was having problems with a faulty starter motor and I was turning the starter motor over quite a lot so I wonder if what ever regulates the voltage got fried and gave up. I would point out that the smoke continued until I disconnected the battery, turning the on/off switch didn't stop it.. in retrospect I wonder if there was a short circuit somewhere, a loose wire perhaps.

Anyway, I'm not very technical so I simply sent it back to Parajet and they fixed it for me and I'm 99% certain they didn't charge me.

I did wonder if there was any serious risk if that was to occur at 5,000 feet, and I'd welcome your thoughts. My Personal assessment was that it would be unlikely to occur after take off, it happened the second I started the engine. I also think I'd have noticed the smoke and landed very quickly. If I was in the air and hadn't noticed it, I don't think it likely to cause any burning and would have stopped once the plastic had melted.. though I guess there could be sparks from non insulated wires.

I'd be interested to see if your issue came from a similar cause and your thoughts.

That all sounds like the solenoid shorting out. If there is a dead short in the solenoid starter circuit and the solenoid switch doesnt release when you let go the starter button it will continue to fry until you disconnect the battery. Unlikely ever to be an issue in flight unless you stop the motor because you want to thermal, for example, and then wish to restart.

Ok that's maybe a slight exaggeration but this morning setting up for an early flight I tried to start the motor (v2 macro) and it was turning over very slowly with a newly charger battery... I did this for just a few seconds before the smoke started to bellow out of the electrical box. :-( has anyone had this before? What did it end up being?

It was running perfectly just a few days ago and been sat in my garage untouched since then.....

I think that today I will have at least 2 very annoyed people waiting for first flights :-( :-( sorry in advance guys.

Sent from my iPhone using PMC Forum mobile app

It sounds like it will need a new solenoid, but you need to make damn sure the shorting fault ( probably inside the starter, if it was turning slowly on a fully charged battery) is sorted or it will do it all over again.

To be fair to it....

It's the main school machine, it's only two years old, but it's been started and stopped more times than most people would expect from their paramotor in two lifetimes of normal flying. :-) :-)

And BECAUSE it's a Parajet, I will drive it to the factory tomorrow and come home on the same day with a working Paramotor due to their world renowned after sales service and support.

Yay. :-)

To be fair to it....

It's the main school machine, it's only two years old, but it's been started and stopped more times than most people would expect from their paramotor in two lifetimes of normal flying. :-) :-)

And BECAUSE it's a Parajet, I will drive it to the factory tomorrow and come home on the same day with a working Paramotor due to their world renowned after sales service and support.

Yay. :-)

just teasing you mate :wink::D

To conclude:

It was a worn starting motor. The starter was sucking too much power through the system (because it was knackered) and melted stuff.

The stuff was replaced and she is now singing again.

As always, a MASSIVE THANKS to the guys on the factory floor :-)