Tandem Flight

Can anyone help :?:

I would love to take up paramotoring but untill I have had a go I cannot say if I would like it.

I have been in touch with a couple of trainers to enquire if they can offer me a tandem flight?

But I have been told that because im 16 stone a tandem flight would be out of the question.

It just seems a little extreme to have to pay for a full training course costing anything from £700 upwards only to find out I dont like it.

Can anyone offer me any advice and confirm if it is true or not about me being too heavy to fly tandem?

Also can anyone give me advise where I can go to watch people paramotoring? I live in the Yorkshire area think my nearest trainer is a Paul Haxby.

Thanks Andy

:wingover:

Hi i too am 16 stone but was heavier when i first started. Firstly i will quickly tell you of my own experience, one i am scared of heights and i was never too sure if it was for me, for probably 4 years i wanted to do it but my nerves allways got the better of me. July 2013 i thought do it or forget it, i was sat at the computer withmy finger paused at the send button it was now or never as i was about to send funds to an instructor i had been talking to. It was done, i now fly on my own with no instruction the whole thing from start to finish was a journey i would take again, the only thing i regret is i should of done it 4 years prior. Its amazing to fly, you meet many friends. Dont think too much about the negatives and dont do what i did looking at all problems that can occur, get a good instructor . Hope this helps.

Hi you can go get a days paragliding will cost you about £100 for the day and then u can get a feel of flying and what's it's like

16 stone is a lot for a tandem I think and when you have £6400 worth of motor on ur back it's a big risk if u ask me so no one will want to even try I know I wouldn't or you could like u said try find some people to go watch take off and land but if I'm honest flying is the best sport I've ever done u see everywhere where most people won't ever see only if there on a plane I'm sure once you do it you will love it just be carful what kit you buy and who off but just go for it mate you won't regret it

Surely there must be some schools that do tandem trikes / quads. To me the easiest way to get a big bloke in the air.

Don't give up......flying is the best drug you will ever get addicted to......trust me, I'm addicted.

Cheers.

If your willing to go up in a trike then go up in a flexwing.

Thank you all for your input. :)

So whats it going to cost me to get up in the air? :?:

Im not a rich man so would be looking at secondhand? Would I need to sell the wife and kids to be able to set myself up? :lol:

I would think once I have completed my training rather than save up I would be best having my own kit ready to go that way I don't forget all my training.

Also what kind of mainternance cost per year could I be looking at?

All depends mate on what kit you want to get as price is different and the maintenance too Sussex Paramotors have good second hand kit ready to go best call him and have a word go to Sussex Paramotors website give him a call he will give u good advice on what to get where to go as a lot of people will just try a sell u kit

And yes u will prob need to sell the wife and kids lol

Thank you all for your input. :)

So whats it going to cost me to get up in the air? :?:

Im not a rich man so would be looking at secondhand? Would I need to sell the wife and kids to be able to set myself up? :lol:

I would think once I have completed my training rather than save up I would be best having my own kit ready to go that way I don't forget all my training.

Also what kind of mainternance cost per year could I be looking at?

I have learnt this year after dithering around for a couple of years (a bit like George, but for different reasons) because I wanted to save the money up to be able to buy the kit as soon as I'd been passed by the school. Trouble is there's always something else that the money gets spent on.

In the end, I thought it's now or never, (I'm 57,) I d find the money somehow and at worst I'd have had great fun just doing the course on the school kit.

So my advice and I've seen others give similar.

1. Don't wait, sign up now and start learning

2. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING, YET.even if you had the money, start learning and listen to as many pilots and instructors as possible and read everything available. Be prepared to be confused to start with- everyone thinks their kit is best whether they're in the trade or just own it. In the end you will be able to make an informed decision on your own

For info , I bought secondhand , but pretty new, none the less, and I spent about £5500, £3000 on the paramotor, £1200 on the wing, £900 on the training.the rest on bits and pieces. I dare say you could get away for £1000 or £1500 cheaper and you could spend £10k without blinking if you bought all new.

I'm guessing at running costs , but if you flew an hour a week every week you might use around 300lts , and say £300 on insurance and a bit of motor servicing and wing inspection.

Get signed up and start learning, it is just the best buzz!

Patrick

It's not actually the case that Tandem trike's / quads are illegal in the UK as suggested.

They just have to be certified aircraft.

There is currently only one option for tandem trike flying in the UK but I believe that we are on the verge of some new ones ;-)

SW :D