Where to Tandem fly?

Hi,

possible good news... I have managed to persuade my dad to try paramotoring!! But, I have to sort out a tandem flight so he can see what it is like.. And he said if i can sort it out, i can do it too! i think that's a fair deal!

Anyway, can anyone please tell me where i can get one of these near Spalding in Lincolnshire and how much would it be?

Thanks

Mike

So as apart of your course... So NOT a Pleasure flight...

That was my point :roll:

Also if you fly with your "Mate" or anyone NOT an Instructor as apart of your course you will not be insured if the worst should happen.

Plus the pilot risks being sued by the passenger and loosing everything they own if and accident was to occur.

Worth the risk for a £50-£60 flight?

:explode:

The Pilot should have insurance for that Morgy.

Insurance is available for both passenger, legal and 3rd party for tandem pilots in the UK. :-) :-) (nor do you have to be an instructor to buy it) Nor does it say in the t'c and c's that you have to be an instructor..

At the end of the day, the product is the same. ( a tandem flight ) It's just about how you word it at point of sale.

SW :D

My understanding is that it does not really have to be a training flight as part of a course. The training flight can be all that is offered, as long as it is done for the purpose of instructing, not just a pleasure flight.

The same rules apply to the many tandem paragliding pilots that you see offering tandem flights for payment in the UK, they get around the rules by calling themselves Air Experience Instructors

Hi

Paul yes there getting "around" the rules... Insurance companies look to find a way not to pay!!

Good luck finding a tandem flight.. Other disagree with me but please make sure you do it with a BHPA Instructor as a part of your course. Not others offering a way around the rules to make a quick buck!!

Just my 2P

Morgy, thats a little unplaced mate..

I know for sure that plenty of 'air experiences' happen through the BHPA system and with people who have no intention of doing a course. There are times when using the bhpa 'thing' works but this is not one of those times dude.

Check out the AXA policy, and also ask BHPA PPG Tandem pilots where they get there insurance since the bhpa wont recognise it yet. ( Although I am sure they will once it becomes profitable to do so)

I am doing a paramotor tandem course in November.

Even though I am a member of the BHPA, it is not possible for me to do this through the BHPA, as far as I know the BHPA do not do powered tandems.

I will be able to do tandem flights, I will not be breaking any laws, I do not plan on charging for tandem flights in the UK but if I did decide to do this, I could do it legally.

Paul

no one is breaking the LAW giving tandems. MY point is your not allowed to charge the general public for a pleasure flight...

I enjoy giving my girlfriend and a mate a tandem but i will not risk a law suit if anything was to go wrong with a member of the general public.... IMO its not worth it...

When someone tells me there is a way around something.... This mean to me its not correct and there not doing it correctly. I Personally would not want to test that insurance policy for real.

Each to there own ....

• Like 1

Morgy,

Our AXA insurance has passed the scrutiny of the ITV, and Nat Geo. And believe me that is no easy task! AXA is the second largest underwriters in the world.

I would be more concerned about being insured by a very small company who could not afford to pay out and HAD to avoid paying for a claim myself.

We have full 3rd party accident and legal cover. Neither of which are required by our law.

We are happy to sell Taster days and include a tandem flight (as this is the same 'loophole' used by the BHPA paragliding guys and has been for years)

As I say, it's all in the wording at point of sale.

It maybe just me but I don't think there was a disagreement to start with !?

As I said, it's the wording at point of sale that determines if you have broken a law or not.

You can't say, tandem flights £50 pop in now !!! :-(

You can say, paramotor taster experience including tandem flight £50 book in now!! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using PMC Forum mobile app

I suppose the one thing that confuses me about your view is that we are only doing the same thing as the entire aviation industry.

The 'no reward' for flight unless under instruction is the same for ALL aviation. THIS INCLUDES the BHPA tandem pilots gliding from hills, many of whom have purchased the same AXA insurance as we have.

The only exception being a full comercial rated pilot.

So ponder it,

Every single flying school in the UK (of any type of aircraft) are bound by the exact same rules as we are.

We are not doing anything new dude.