Too much Power?

aljken

So now your going to tell me that was not 'part' of a dynamic maneuver involving lots of energy to start with and he was just climbing out like that?? Or that the picture has not been flipped.

Get to that angle during a normal take off and your falling out of the sky so please don't try and confuse things with pics like that.

SW :D

I still maintain a paramotor wing will not stall with power alone....any Brake input whatsoever will stall the wing but if you leave the brakes alone it wont. it will just keep Nodding

any video evidence out there that it will stall on power alone let me know :?

Gary, I don’t think that video snap shot tells the full story.

First of all what power setting was it on?

Was it a one or two place trike, either way the wing loading is greatly reduced, therefore reducing the stall point.

The balance point of the trike is dramatically affected becoming engine heavy, now vectoring the thrust upwards which unloads the wing even further, which in turn reduces the stall point yet again.

Wing loading makes all the difference. If it didn’t then we wouldn’t be able to kite our wings prior to gaining enough airspeed to brake mother earth.

I am not saying anything else on the subject :shock:

So dont try and tempt me to answer

in fact I wont even check the posts on this subject anymore just so ( I DONT GO OFF ON ONE ) trying to explain why a paramotor wing wont stall on power alone

GONE

Toy's thrown out of the pram

:lol::lol:

I've been following this with interest, and really hoping that someone would explain the cause of a stall and so far no-one has, so here goes...

First of all, low speed is not the cause of a stall; the cause is the angle of attack. At a specific angle of attack, called the critical angle of attack, air going over a wing will separate from the wing, causing said wing to stall.

Dan,

No one is going to feel patronised by someone trying to help dude. :-) :-)

If you have good advice, or something that will help others reading this, crack on and post away!

Nice diagram Dan. Only thing is, when there's a powerfull motor pushing from behind, the weight isn't hanging down vertically. It moves forward and the wing goes up steeper with more power. Not saying you wouldn't get into trouble if you had an excess of power mind you. And some wings will stall quicker than others.

This discussion came up before. I think it ended when someone suggested, with enough power , we could loop right over the top

Having also taught Jamie and seen him fly rather a lot I don't doubt that's how it looked. :-)

He is a very good pilot. ! (but don't tell him that or he will get all big headed and not win the comps) :-)

Mini Jamie video coming soon to a screen near you.

But I still maintain that you can 'power stall' if so desired and not corrected at the correct time.

And as you say, the Thor 200 (when its running) has more thrust than Jamie weighs (it actually does) LOLOLOL

I've been following this with interest, and really hoping that someone would explain the cause of a stall and so far no-one has, so here goes...

First of all, low speed is not the cause of a stall; the cause is the angle of attack. At a specific angle of attack, called the critical angle of attack, air going over a wing will separate from the wing, causing said wing to stall.

[attachment=0]Wing Stall.jpg[/attachment]

Please don't take my post as patronising, it's not meant to be, it's just I would have thought this would have been explained by now.

So Gary, if you're still here, yes, at least theoretically you can power stall a PPG

Dan

That is a useful comment and diagram you posted Dan, but for those that don't know i would like to point out that in the diagram the arrow 'RW' is correct only if you are flying horizontally level ie: not sinking or climbing. When you apply full power you will be climbing so the arrow marked RW will point down reducing the amount of increase in angle of attack, and reducing the chance of a stall.

Also in theory you can get the same change in Angle of attack by doing the opposite, ie flying a small overloaded wing, and gliding with no power, in this case you will be sinking and the RW angle will point up, if it points up too much the wing will stall.

Paul

Paul, good point, you're absolutely right...but what comes first (immediately after applying full power), the change of angle of attack, or the climb.

I know in a fixed wing aircraft a sudden change in pitch caused by pulling back sharply on the elevator can bring the nose up quicker than the aircraft can climb, causing a power stall. I've tried it, it's horrible :shock:

I'm not sure this principle of flight would translate to PPGs. In fact, thinking about it :roll::roll::roll: (closest I could find to a 'thinking' smiley)....I don't think it would. I can't do it on my Thor 200, tried it today.

I guess the equivalent would be to apply full power and full brakes.

Any volunteers :lol: