Traffic avoidance system

Michaelt

Evening everyone,

Just thinking about safety in my area particularly, and wondered if anyone has a Traffic avoidance system that they use?

Im located about 2 miles from Fenland airfield which can get very busy during Saturdays and fly directly where I would take off from. What would people recommended me doing, or do I not have to worry about other traffic?

Thanks

Mike

It would also be worth mentioning that you are there (when you are there of course)

Develop a relationship with the pilots booking out office people so they can let others know your going to be there.

I am assuming its not controlled airspace?

SW :D

Yes- get a few contacts from the airfield, let them know who you are and where you fly from- also it will instill a bit of confidence if you demonstrate that you know airlaw and procedures.

Better still if you turn up with your gear some day and show them what's involved- they need to be clear on a few things- not to fly to close to you- especially overhead left/right to aviod wake turbulence.

I've had a few curious microlight pilots and even a police helicopter do 'close' fly bys.... it's pretty unnerving for paramotor pilots.

I'd recommend you give the aerodrome a very wide berth as we generally don't mix well with faster moving a/c

Get yourself an up to date air map and study it making sure you dont breach any restricted airspace!

This is a snapshot of the area i hope to fly from - about 10m north west of Southampton.

Does this look a bit `busy` or fairly typical?

To be fair, most of the restricted airspace has a 2000ft base nearest my intended flying location:

CAA.jpg

Not sure this is relavent here, but may be of interest.

I was chatting to someone I know who is in the RAF. He's a fast jet instructor (Navigation) and flies Hawks on a daily basis. He also flies paraglider when not at 'work'.

His comments about paraglider/motor recognition whilst travelling at 400mph are thus..

'The danger is popping out of a cloud and seeing one a mile away, quite lawfully. It doesn't give me many seconds to respond. The good thing is that they are usually high vis colours and number 1 eyeball picks them up quick enough. My biggest danger is gliders. Edge on, they are very thin profile and usually white in colour, they are my nightmare'.

I think I get...stay away from clouds and get gaudy....

He flies out of RAF Leeming in Yorkshire, takes him 4 mins to his 'playground' in Scotland and regularly does the trip, depending on route, 30 mins down to Norfolk, an hour on training, then a run back home for lunch !!

I believe the airspace is actually controlled but there might be a slight bit where it won't be. I will have to double check this with some guys at the Airfield. I know the majority of regular flyers from Fenland as I go there ever so often and sit in the ATC tower listening to what people are doing etc. I will ask them there for any information, and maybe get a notice up for near by paramotor's flying. Just a thought I had was last night, is that I believe they might have a hand held radio in the tower, which I was thinking if I speak to the guy that goes up there nicely, he might allow me to contact him to get a traffic report and see if the skies are busy or not, and occasionally during the flight, but I will have to ask him :L

I was looking for those detailed maps, but I can't seem to find any. Dave sent me one that is 1:250,000 that covers south England, with Fenland being at the very top. But im not fully sure what im looking for. Am I looking for the 1:250,000? Can anyone hit me up with a link to somewhere that sells them please?

Thats an interesting thought about the RAF, didn't think of low flying aircraft that are military. We have the Holbeach bombing range approximately 4 miles east of my location that I plan to take off from, and it seems to be a theme that the Hercules, or the Apaches will do a low fly by over our house on a Wednesday night. I'll try and find out more about the restricted areas to find out where they fly, to try and stay out of there way.

Thanks alot

Mike

'The danger is popping out of a cloud and seeing one a mile away, quite lawfully. It doesn't give me many seconds to respond. The good thing is that they are usually high vis colours and number 1 eyeball picks them up quick enough. My biggest danger is gliders. Edge on, they are very thin profile and usually white in colour, they are my nightmare'.

I think I get...stay away from clouds and get gaudy.....

But if you've filed your CANP (Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm) the Pilots wont get any surprises

(Civil Aircraft Notification Procedure)

Number is on the back of your BHPA card.

But if you've filed your CANP (Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm) the Pilots wont get any surprises

(Civil Aircraft Notification Procedure)

Number is on the back of your BHPA card.

First time I've heard of the BHPA/CANP? im still learning, sorry if thats a tad daft, could you expand on that please? Do i need one?

• 1 month later...

Mike (and all), sorry for replying to an old post but I am also coming to terms with airspace restrictions despite having ridge soared from hills for many years on a paraglider.

In order to help get my head around it, I subscribed for the free 30 day trial of Sky Demon flight software. I can not recommend it enough!

I won't describe all the functions here but just to be able to see the air space around your proposed launch point in a clear plan diagram is well worth the look on its own.

Whether it is worth the full subscription you will have to decide yourself after the evaluation period.

Oscar