Clutching at straws?

poz

A bit pissed off with myself right now after having plugged the wrong charger into my Spectrum DX8 radio transmitter (model aeroplane).

Of course it had to be a higher voltage charger. As a consequence, it would appear to be f****d. Nothing when I switch it on and nothing when I plug in the correct charger :cry:

Can anyone with some electrical savvy offer a glimmer of hope that there may be a poosible fix for this?

Dan

Most things are able to be fixed. I take it not even the blue LED comes on?

What voltage charger did you pug in?

I expect the chip that controls the charging has blown,

Cheers, Alan

Hi Alan

Thanks for replying.

The voltage was not that much more...a couple of volts or so.

Is it something that you think might be economically viable to fix, or should I bin it. They cost around £150

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

It all depends on whether a replacement chip can be sourced at a realistic price.

Sometimes it's difficult to buy a one off, suppliers want to sell you 1000's.

Have you got a mate with some electronics expertise who can have a look inside and possibly read off the chip number? Or have a go yourself, it will probably be the chip nearest the charger socket or the lead from the charger socket.

Send some pics if you're unsure what you're looking at,

Cheers, Alan

I did the samething with my Lipo charger last night. I was converting a server power supply into a nice 300w 30amp 12v power supply.

5min before not thinking I grabbed the wrong power supply and pluged it in. Two seconds later and the magic smoke got out and that was that. Good thing it was just the $10 charger.

However just my luck its the last working charger I had..... My new one is not here yet.... !@#$ I really wanted to test the new power supply but I will have to wait now.

So I'm shut down.

nice radio too!!!! I have the dx6i I would love to have the 8.

You should be able to get parts online

http://www.digikey.com/whats-new.page?s ... link#list1

Well, it would appear that the good folk at Spektrum have fitted a nice little fuse inside their box of magic, to protect numpties like me from themselves :oops::oops::D:D

So, hopefully when I can get the correct 3A fuse, and I manage to re-assemble it all, it will work again. Fingers crossed.

Thanks Alan and s1buell_wl for your valuable input.

Well, it would appear that the good folk at Spektrum have fitted a nice little fuse inside their box of magic, to protect numpties like me from themselves :oops::oops::D:D

So, hopefully when I can get the correct 3A fuse, and I manage to re-assemble it all, it will work again. Fingers crossed.

Thanks Alan and s1buell_wl for your valuable input.

Yes, I was about to ask that. A sofisticated electronic device without any form of voltage or current protection? There must be a fuse somewhere ;)

As for mistakes with chargers, I have a good tip for that. I have tons of electronic devices with tons of chargers, and they all look the same. So a good practice that reduced mistakes to zero was labeling the end side of every charger as soon as I bought them.

Just a small label and a transparent tape will do the trick:

cables2.jpg

(not my image, just found it as reference).

Hope it helps!