Forward launching

Hi guys I'm looking for some advice on forward launching I'm new to paramotoring and have done around 5 flights but all reverse launches however because of the crap weather my last flight was april.

So tonight I decided to go to a local field and do some ground handling while there was no rain, as soon as I got to the field I realised there wasn't much wind so I tried some forward launching but every time I pulled it up the right hand side seemed to hang back and not come up resulting in the wing twisting over, I tried so many times and it did it every time,has anyone got any tips for me? I really wanna get it cracked I'm using a dudek synthesis wing.

Thanks.

Tim.

Hi Tim, Make sure you're centred to the wing and square onto any wind, even it's virtually nothing. Keep your arms symmetrical and pull from the body not the arms. Then really commit, give it everything and make sure you stay centrally underneath the canopy.

Make sure the trimmers have the same setting on both sides.

Usually there is a little wind even though it's not enough for a reverse start, if you don't start in the wind direction on side will rise faster. (the side that wind towards it will rise faster)

When I start I do like this,

Lay out the glider in a V shape.

Connect yourself to the glider.

Make sure you grab the A risers correctly.

Hold you arms straight out in a slight V shape upwards.

Move forward slowly until you feel the pressure on the risers, it should be the same on both sides. If it is not, then move your body until it is.

Go back a few steps.

To start,

Run forward and keep your arms out in the same position, don't pull with your arms, let the forwards speed of the body get the glider going.

Run forward and keep the A lines in your hands until the wing is clearly over your head.

I prefer to look on the sides when I run to check that the glider is okay, if it is low on the right side for instance then run more towards the right or when you get the hang of it you can force more pressure on the a riser on that side as well.

Anyway, haven't looked but there have to be a good youtube clip on this available. I sure hope so.

Also, for practice, try it out when there is more wind. it'll be easier to get it going then. You can try to start in a slightly wrong direction as well then to learn how to compensate when one side rises faster. If you make a mess out of it, then turn around and put it right again with a reverse start. When there is no wind and you make a mess out of the glider then it takes so much more time to put it right. so for learning it's easier with a little wind.

Thanks guys that's great help I have a feeling I was not fully into the slight wind that there was this must have been why it wasn't coming up nice,I like the idea of trying when there's a little wind cos I guess you can feel more what's going on.

Also I read somewhere not to look up at any time to see where the wing is but then I worry if I have the motor on if the wing isn't right I'm gonna wipe out, also if I do have the motor on do you apply power before you take up the tension on the lines and move forwards? Or do you apply the power after the wing has come up?.

Thanks.

Tim.

if you use power right away then the lines have to have tension. I would recommend you try out some forward start in wind, when you get the hang of it you can use the power of the motor to take of easy even in no wind.. if you have a cage that can handle it.

A free flight harness is much easier to sense if the glider comes up right or not, with a motor it isn't as easy. I prefer to check to see that the lines are okay, a quick look on the sides.

example here (from last week) I sat down a bit early and let go of one brake handle a bit early but that's another story.

example to correct the glider by running to the right:

searched for forward start on youtube and found.. ME :) again,

I do seem to look up a few times but it never got me into trouble. I have canceled some starts though when I've seen twists.

Back in the paraglidning days they said that we shouldn't look and that makes more sense there. As I mentioned, much easier to feel the glider in a free flight harness and also when you run down a hill there isn't much turning back to do. With a paramotor it more like getting enough speed to have the gilder above you, check that it is okay and the push the throttle to take off, plenty more time as long as you know what's ahead of you.

Back in the paraglidning days they said that we shouldn't look and that makes more sense there. As I mentioned, much easier to feel the glider in a free flight harness and also when you run down a hill there isn't much turning back to do. With a paramotor it more like getting enough speed to have the gilder above you, check that it is okay and the push the throttle to take off, plenty more time as long as you know what's ahead of you.

Mmm well as far as I know every paragliding school advises to quickly check the glider looking up before fully commit to the launch (a split second, but it is advised). I am surprised by your claim as it is not common thought among paragliding pilots.

Actually this habit of not checking is more common among paramotor than paragliding pilots.

Perhaps you have mistaken two concepts: it is advised to look forward when launching a paraglider to maintain or correct direction, but a quick check up for nots or problems on the glider it is also a very important step too. And that is true for paramotor too.

Probably depends on where you come from. Like the bad habit on holding the brakes in wrong hands when doing a reverse start, let go of the brakes and grab them again when turned around.

Or doing a reverse start by holding one a riser in each hand compared to holding them in one hand and brake in the other ans so on.

Can't say that it is common, but I have heard it from an instructor here as well, and from other pilots. I think what they mean is that you should feel how the glider comes up and adjust accordingly before looking and that can certainly be done with a paragliding harness.

This previous thread may be of interest-

posting.php?mode=reply&f=1&t=8026

This technique works for me-

There are many techniques... different ones for different people- but me personally- no step back.

Arrange the wing in the horseshoe as normal, then pull the middle back further to form a 'V'...

Clip in as normal, then centre yourself on the risers, centre of the wing- getting equal pressure on both sets of lines- keeping them tight.

Pick your point on the horizon, then eyes forward, arms at 3 and 9 o'clock- and run, pulling the wing up with your waist....Gently allow the risers to rise, keep the eyes forward and dont stop running.

As the wing comes up to 50degrees or so, keep gentle pressure with your thumbs on the back of the A lines and put the throttle on full. It's pretty important that you have the 'feel of the wing' and you know how it responds is before you try this for the first time- because you need to to everything with the eyes forward and running.

Once you're at speed, you can take arms away from the risers, and pull a little brake to get airborne.

I'd normally do nil-wind takeoffs on full trim to reduce the running speed necessary.

Hope this helps- as i said, this is my way, it works for me.

The step back gives an opportunity to go out of allignment in the initial run, generally you'll have better feeling and more control with a tight lines launch.

Hi Tim,

nil wind forward launches are tough. Definitely practice with 3mph or so, it's so much easier on the legs until you get the hang of it. You can see from Clive's video above that he took two small steps backwards because he was pulling up into a head wind.

Dan taught us to run at it rather than just one step back too. One thing that you might want try if your wing is always coming up left side first is to start slightly left of centre to encourage the right side up a bit. Not too much though as it's a bit of a fudge.

I attempted a nil wind forward in Cornwall last week and had to give up after 6 attempts as my site was slightly up hill with a dip in the middle. But then again, I'm not very good.... Keep at it mate.

Cheers, John (from Binley Woods) :lol: